6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2014 11:14 AM by Carlo UK

How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments

Carlo UK

Hi

Can someone explain howe to do the following :-

I have images in LR CC which has beed edited. I want to open a clean non-edited RAW image into Photoshop as a smart object.

Reason being I want I want to start editing a clean copy.

Thanks CARLO

• 1. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can create a virtual copy of the image, then click Reset on that VC and it’ll have the LR defaults, then do the Edit In on the VC.

It seems like you also should be able to open the SO in PS then double-click to bring up Camera Raw then do a Reset in there but maybe I’m forgetting something about how SO’s work, nowadays.

• 2. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
            Carlo UK Level 1

This works for images edited from the canon CR2 format and done only in lightroom.

However many of my images has been further edited in Photoshop and then comes back in as a Tif. These I cannot reset to the original out of camera RAW CR2 format ?

I think my error has been in the past to delete the original CR2 original copy

Perhaps in future I should always create a Virtual copy first and then carry edits in LR and PS to the virtual copy thus keeping the original intact.  Not sure if this workflow will later cause other issues with my workflow.

-CARLO

• 3. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
              b2martin_a Level 2

What do you mean when you say open an image with no Lightroom adjustments?  When you first open an image in Lightroom it adjust the RAW file to the default Lightroom settings. 

• 4. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
                NicHamilton Level 3

I'm afraid your assertion that maybe you shouldn't have deleted the CR2s is correct.  The beauty of LR is that you can make as many virtual copies of a raw file (or any file) to pklay with different processing without increasing the space occupied on disk but you need this original if you want to go back to square one.

• 5. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A TIF image that has been edited in Photoshop and then saved cannot be restored to its original unedited state. Images that are saved in Photoshop have the Photoshop adjustments permanently embedded into them.

In my opinion, it is a bad idea to ever delete raw images (except, of course rejected or bad images). They are your masters, and the only images that you can restore the original default settings. And even then, raw images Cannot be restored to a complete and edited state because Camera Raw and Lightroom must interpret the raw image data and convert it to something that can be displayed. In that process default settings are applied to the image.

I'm sure you also realize that once an image is opened in Photoshop (not Camera Raw) you are no longer working with raw image data. Photoshop itself is not capable of editing raw data. That is why Camera Raw or Lightroom or some other raw converter is required. Your best choice would be to always retain the original raw images if you want to be able to go back to the beginning and start over.

• 6. Re: How to open a new image with no Lightroom adjustments
                    Carlo UK Level 1

Ok Thanks all.  I will change my Lightroom Workflow and maintain the original RAW file as virgin and work on virtual copies.

All is not lost as I do always make backups of my RAWs when I am  importing so I do have everything on a separate backup drive as CR2.

-CARLO