13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 3:33 PM by DdeGannes

Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

displaced7 Level 1

Lightroom (and my image previewer - IfranView) display my image colors differently than photoshop.  This is very disturbing (why can't Adobe make this simple!)! 

Image in question - see below.  Center image is Photoshop, left is Lr 4 and right is InfranView.

Colorspace:  AdobeRGB 1998

Image color (exported the TIFF file in Lr, what is shown below):  AdobeRGB 1998

Capture.JPG

NOTE:  when I export out as sRGB, IfranView displays it correctly (I don't know why, it can't display ProPhoto correctly, but never had a problem with AdobeRGB).  Lightroom looks incorrect when viewing the TIFF, AdobeRGB JPEG and sRGB JPEG.

What is going on??  I've tried this on two computers now and it is the same problem!

• 1. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
          displaced7 Level 1

Just to make matters worse, Lr 3 is displaying the colors correctly, so it is only Lr 4 that is not displaying correctly (Lr 3 on right, Ps CS6 center, Lr 4 on left).  Lr 3 displays both the sRGB and AdobeRGB images correctly.

Help!

Capture2.JPG

• 2. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What does the TIF look like in LR if you re-import?  It seems we're looking at a raw file in LR and a gamut-limited TIF in PS and IV, right?

Do you have a standard-gamut monitor or a wide-gamut monitor?

Is your monitor calibrated with a hardware calibration system like i1DisplayPro or at least ColorMunki or a Spyder?  And if so is the profile ICCv2 Matrix or ICCv4 LUT?  The ICCv2 Matrix seems to work better.

If not, are you using the manufacturer's monitor profile or sRGB?

Are you using a PC or a Mac and what version of OS?

Do you have some special settings for LR set in your video-card control panel that could be changing the gamma or color balance.

Presumably you've rebooted.

• 3. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
              displaced7 Level 1

No RAW file being displayed, those are all JPEGS (TIFF displays the same in Lr 4 - incorrectly).  That image is a screen shot of the SAME file being displayed in 3 different programs. 

Re-importing didn't change anything.

Monitor is a Dell 3011, it hasn't been calibrated in a while, but that shouldn't matter - it isn't ALL images that are displaying incorrectly, just Lr 4.  (I'll be calibrating again soon - i1 - but I can't now due to technical issues with two computers)

PC, Windows 7.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
                displaced7 Level 1

So it seems that Ps CS4 works fine on my old computer, displays the colors correctly.  This leads me to believe that it is something with the computer.

Any ideas?  Color settings are the same on each computer (NA Prepress 2).  Seems something is displaying the AdobeRGB incorrectly.

• 5. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

Would you mind sharing the original JPG?  I can check it in various versions of LR and PS.  If you don’t want to share that one, then share another one and include a side-by-side of it as in your initial screenshot.   By “share” I mean post to an online sharing site like http://www.dropbox.com/ and post a public download link to it, not via some other online gallery that isn’t guaranteed to mess with the original JPG, somehow.

• 6. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

What looks like is happening is that LR 4 is interpreting an Adobe RGB JPG as if it was sRGB, which is something it’ll do if it can’t tell what the color profile is supposed to be—LR always assumes an untagged file is sRGB. 

If you turn on the warnings in Photoshop about mismatched profiles do you see any problem when opening the original JPG, not the exported ones, but the original one that looks pale in LR.

Also what happens if you view the exported TIF back in LR, the same file that you’re looking at in PS and IV, does it match LR’s JPG view or PS’s TIF view?

• 7. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
                      displaced7 Level 1

To recap:

NEW computer:

TIFF (AdobeRGB), JPEG (AdobeRGB), JPEG (sRGB)  - all look wrong now

(if I go to PROOF and select Monitor RGB, which should be the old color profile from the last calibration, it looks correct.  Uncheck Proof Colors and it goes back to being wrong).

I don't know how to get it to look correct in Lr 4

OLD Computer:

Looks good on everything - CS4 Ps and Lr 3

Color Profile - so it seems something is off with the colors on the new computer?  They are both using the same monitor (hence the problem with recalibration - i1 doesn't work with two computers, one monitor).

I'd be happy to email you the photo, if you'd like.

• 8. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

My e-mail is:  steve at sprengels dot com

You can use the i1 to profile the same monitor on two different computers ift he monitor profile is stored on the computer, but not if it’s stored in the monitor.

Create an ICCv2 Matrix profile for the monitor on each computer and don’t load anything in the monitor, itself.

• 9. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
                          displaced7 Level 1

I dont know, but I spent hours on tech support with xrite and the conclusion was that the two computers were causing a conflict (I'll be retiring one of them soon).

I'll email you the files now.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

The larger file is Adobe RGB and the smaller file is sRGB.  I see no difference in overall tone or color between the two files in LR 3, LR 4, LR 5, PS CS5, PS CS6, PS CC 2014, or Windows Photo Viewer which is color-managed, aside from an almost imperceptible change in the darkest blacks which I'd expect since you're converting AdobeRGB to sRGB at some point.

I can make the Adobe RGB one look like it does at the left of your first screenshot if I Assign Profile: sRGB to it in PS.

Since your monitor appears to be wide-gamut and therefore similar to Adobe RGB, I think the problem you're having is that LR thinks the monitor is sRGB for some reason, perhaps due to your switching the cables from one computer to the other without rebooting and recalibrating.  It's also possible that your profile is stored in the monitor rather than in the computer and one computer understands this and the other doesn't so you're getting double-profiling or no profiling occurring.

It sounds the your only issue is having two computers attached alternatively to one monitor without having a valid profile on each computer for that monitor and aren't restarting each computer to load that profile.  At least that is my analysis given the limited information.

I would conclude that nothing is wrong with LR or PS just the hardware connections and the color management confusion between the two computers, not your confusion, the computers'.

• 11. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
                              displaced7 Level 1

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

That sounds like a logical conclusion.  I'll recalibrate soon and see if that takes care of it (I pray it does!).  Quite a scare!  I'd hate to think what my images would look like if I was trying to saturate them based on the dull image!

Cheers

• 12. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop

Do you realize you can install the same version of LR on up to two computers?  There’s no need to have LR 3 on one and LR 4 on the other.  You should be able to have LR 4 or LR 3 on both unless one’s OS is too old, but at least LR 3 on both.  That way you can confirm whether it is the version of LR you’re running or which computer you’re running it on, or have you already done that?

• 13. Re: Lightroom displays colors differently than Photoshop
                                  DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Quote "NOTE:  when I export out as sRGB, IfranView displays it correctly (I don't know why, it can't display ProPhoto correctly, but never had a problem with AdobeRGB).  Lightroom looks incorrect when viewing the TIFF, AdobeRGB JPEG and sRGB JPEG"

I know that LR and PS uses the Operating System Monitor Profile that has been set as the "default". What Monitor Profile has InfranView been set to use?

You say InfranView displays it correctly, how do you arrive at this conclusion can you actually compare it to the original scene?

Is the operating system default set to a proper hardware calibrated profile? Or are you using sRGB, AdobeRGB, ProPhotoRGB as your monitor profile?