3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 7:33 AM by JimTG

Include a NEGATIVE in the filter selectio logic

JimTG

Can I exclude certain conditions when filtering images?

I shoot in RAW and typically only a few images from a shoot are selected as "picks".  I wish to save disk space by compressing the "not picked" RAW images (i.e. export using lossy compression).   Is there a way to filter all lossless RAW images, except for those selected as picks?  I know I can "select all" then manually deselect the "picked" images but this can be tedious.

• 1. Re: Include a NEGATIVE in the filter selectio logic
          RikkFlohr Adobe Community Professional

Set a Library Filter to select all of the File Type you want Raw, Loss-Less DNG using the Metadata section and the Attributes to Unflagged and Rejected.

capture copy.jpg

• 2. Re: Include a NEGATIVE in the filter selectio logic
            areohbee Level 5

The short answer: No.

In other words, using the lib filter, as Rikk said, you select what you want to see, and don't select what you don't want to see (with the exception of text filters, which allow a negation operator).

That said, smart collections DO support negation, so if lib-filter doesn't have enough oomph for what you are trying to do - use a smart collection.

Such was especially useful when smart collections could be used to filter other sources (by selecting simultanously), but Adobe screwed this up (in my opinion) in the interest of "unified handling" (I presume), so all sources act the same way when simultaneously selected: union instead of intersection. Anyway, via the SmartFilter plugin (free, I wrote it..), you can again use smart collections as lib filters.

Rob

• 3. Re: Include a NEGATIVE in the filter selectio logic
              JimTG Level 1

Thanks guys!  Your solution is both elegant and simple.