7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 10:22 AM by A.T. Romano

How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9

Stellastar80

Hello

I have a shot in a video which has a spec of dust on the camera lens.  It's only a short clip but it would be really good if I could clean up the spot.  I've looked across this forum and found a few discussions but as I am new to Premiere Elements and video editing language in general I found them hard to understand!  Have had a go at working it out but a few hours later of tearing my hair out I thought I'd pose my own question and see if someone can help!  I can fix the smear in a still in Photoshop using the 'spot heal' tool, just wish there was some similar way of doing it to video in Premiere Elements.

If someone can help I would be very grateful, I had lots of problems trying to put a photo here so I've put it on a blog link here:

http://stellasims.wordpress.com/2014/09/01/still-image-from-pe-9/

You can see the spot just below his collar.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Stellastar80

Is this the spot

Spot.JPG

If so, let us do this....Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 assumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Highlight the clip on the Timeline.

Go to Clip Menu/Effects Mask/Apply

You should then see a bounding box on screen - position that bounding box so that the spot is inside it. Resize the bounding box using one of its

handles so that it is just large enough to house the spot...no excess.

Go to Edit Header/Effects/Presets/Blurs/Fast Blur In, select it and then click Apply.

In Edit Effects, adjust the blur. It can be tricky - often more than a tiny amount does not work.

NoSpot.JPG

Please give it a look and let us know the outcome.

The following blog post was done with Premiere Elements 11, not 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. Probably more than you want, but just in case....

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: About Effects Mask

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
            Stellastar80 Level 1

Hello! Thank you for your reply.  I followed your instructions and even the figure you'd inputted for the blur amount, but weirdly I am not getting the amazing results you have!

And yes I am using Windows 7, 64 bit, Premiere Elements 9.0.

Here is a picture showing my settings:

anothergo.jpg

• 3. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Stellastar80

Thanks for taking a look at my suggested spot remover.

I was working from a jpg from the Windows 7 Snipping Tool applied to your post screenshot. Please give another look at your settings, not necessarily matching the ones that worked for me with my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. My blurs were playing games with me and took some fine tuning in the area to the far left in that control.

Is the source of your screen view a still or video clip?

I also looked at Gaussian Blur and Fast Blur under the Effects Header/Video Effects/Blur & Sharpen. But then finally settled on the Fast Blur In under

Edit Header/Presets/Blurs/Fast Blur In. The issue was trying to get the blur to kick in. And, what worked best for me in applying the effect to the Effects Mask was to use Apply rather than to drag the effect into the Effect Mask bounding box on screen.

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 4. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
                Stellastar80 Level 1

The source of the screengrab there is where I am working on the video clip itself.

Yes I seem to be having problems getting any kind of blur to show.  I used "apply" with the fast blur but even tweaking it (typing in figures rather than using the mouse) nothing seems to change.  Is there some basic step I'm not doing?  I keep trying to go back and forth between the edit window and the edit effect window, clicking "apply" -- sometimes it seems to change but sometimes not!

• 5. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Stellastar80

Plan B and onward....

Highlight the clip

Clip Menu/Effects Mask/Apply to get the bounding box on screen

Resize the bounding box to minimum size and have the spot comfortably in the inside of the bounding box.

Then Edit Header/Presets/Blurs/ and this time let us try the Fast Blur Out

Click on Fast Blur Out to highlight it (thin white frame around) and then click Apply.

Then in Properties (Edit Effects), adjust numbers of the Blurriness setting (right above slider) using the mouse cursor with its tip as a finger with a double

edge arrow. Nudge the numbers slowly from left to right and left a little to get the best possible result.

Your gains should be in those very low settings. Probably 8 to 15.

Do not go near that knob between the - and + edges of the slider area.

Please let me know if those steps gave you more control. I am trying to think of an alternate spot remover. The one that I am describing would

be perfect if it did what is it supposed to do...it can with a better of trial and error and trial.

ATR

• 6. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
                    Stellastar80 Level 1

Thank you, yes I can see it is trying to work but just not quite cutting it! 

I experimented some more last night -- I actually only have "fast blur" in my effects, I don't have "fast blur in" or "fast blur out".  Not sure why?

As I said, I experimented anyway with my "fast blur" and managed to get this which is ever so slightly better but as you can see doesn't really completely make it disappear.  I agree yes the numbers are very low, around 11-12.

anothertony.jpg

• 7. Re: How to fix speck of dust on video clip; Premiere Elements 9
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Stellastar80

In Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 and the Effects Header, you can set for Effects/Video Effects where you will find Blur & Sharpen/Fast Blur, Gaussian Blur, et al.

But, when you set for Effects/Presets, then you have more effects which include a Blurs category with the Fast Blur In and Fast Blur Out. Let me know if you find them.

I am starting my day later than I had planned. In a little while I will do some experimenting to the blurs and possible alternatives and see what I can come up with.

More later.

ATR