3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2014 8:39 AM by A.T. Romano

Autosize photo for Premiere Elements 12

Topflightup

I want to drag photos and videos into my Premiere Elements 12 movie timeline and then be able to autosize them so they fit properly in the movie. I've been using IMovies prior to Elements 12 and was able to do it there. Any thing like hat in Elements 12? Thanks

• 1. Re: Autosize photo for Premiere Elements 12
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Topflightup

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system? For now assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit. Please update program from 12 to 12.1 if you have not done so already. See Help Menu/Update.

Now to your immediate question...Premiere Elements requires that you or the project set a project preset which should match the properties of the source media, including frame size. Each project preset includes in its description a frame size. Hold that thought.

In the program workspace, Edit Menu/Preferences/General, there is a default preference = Default Scale to Frame Size. That means that the program will try automatically to fit as best possible the import into the frame size established in the Edit area monitor by the project preset.

You can scale the image in the Edit area monitor with and without this default preference.

a. click on the image in the monitor to have the image bounding box appear, and use one of the bounding box handles to resize the image

b. highlight the clip and go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and work with the Scale and Position properties there.

Please let us know if any of the above is the information that you sought.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Autosize photo for Premiere Elements 12
            Topflightup Level 1

Sorry, this is not working for me. By the way, I'm using Windows 8.1. I'm importing photos into Premiere Elements 12 and when movie is played, the photos I have put in the movie have a black boarder on both sides. How do I fix this? Do I have to do each Photo individually or can it be set to automatically so any photo I put in there will fit properly? Thanks for any help.

• 3. Re: Autosize photo for Premiere Elements 12
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Topflightup

Thanks for the reply.

As I have said before, for automatic sizing of the import to the frame size/pixel aspect ratio of the project preset, you have a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size in Edit Menu/Preferences/General. With that preference in effect, the program will try to make the fit as best it can. If you are importing a 3:2 or 4:3 image into a 16:9 project, the best that the program can do is make the fit with black borders.

But....

In the Edit area monitor, you could then zoom into the image until the black borders are gone.

In the Edit area monitor, you could work with Default Scale to Frame Size disabled before import and then import the file and scale it to fit the Edit area monitor space which is defined by the project preset. The bottom line is that the program allows for one project preset, and, when you have content with different properties, then you set priorities and fit everything else into it.

It is often preferable to crop the image before import into a Premiere Elements project. The Photoshop Elements Editor crop tool is convenient for this, for example, crop to 1920 x 1080 16:9. But, this is a one by one operation. There are batch cropping/resizing programs, but often one crop setting for one photo is not always suitable for the view for each of the rest.

What are the pixels dimensions of your photos?

The easiest and quickest way might be to import as is (assuming your project project preset is appropriate for the prime source media) and then scale the photo in the Edit area monitor. Computer resources may or may not factor into the considerations on this...depends on how many photos, pixel dimensions of each, and the level of the computer resources. On a positive note, Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 8.1 64 bit is a 64 bit application which translates into better computer resources than otherwise.

Please let us know the details of these photos and then we will make additional comments if necessary.

Thank you.

ATR