6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2016 3:12 PM by A.T. Romano

I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?

PremiereBeginner

For example, the photograph is of a tall building.  In the movie, I want to zoom out starting by focusing on the ground floor entrance and zooming out to see the whole building.  The photo is imported sideways in Premiere Elements. I want to apply the pan and zoom effect to it with the photo right-side up.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

premierebeginner

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

You are going to have to start by rotating your photos in Premiere Elements with the Rotation option in the Motion Panel expanded.

Then please read all the details that I have glavetian on panning and zoom vertically oriented images in Premiere Elements (back in January 2014)

how do I use pan and zoom on vertical photographs without editing out most of the photo?

The answers are in the details. And, I need at least Premiere Elements version and operation system to start to fine tune the how tos.

We will be watching for your follow up for the details needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
            PremiereBeginner Level 1

Hello.

Thank you for the quick response.  I'm using Premiere Elements 11 on a Mac.  Yes, that thread is what I'm trying to do.  The panning and zooming of portrait photos in the graduation video from another user is my goal.  The photos I'm using is from a Sony RX100 and their size is 3648x5472 (pixel aspect ratio = 1.0).  Actually, when I started going through your instructions, I checked my source photo and tried something else first.  I used PhotoShop Elements and rotated the photo to make it portrait.  (It appeared on my screen sideways.)  I used the "Pan and Zoom" tool and it worked (mostly)!  I thought if I used Applie Effects>Rotate Left, it would fix my problem, but I guess it's better to just fix the source.  Anyways... I decided to go through your steps to see if I can learn something else.

I read through the thread and I got stuck on step one.  I can't find where to set the project preset to "NTSC/ DSLR/ 1080p/ DSLR 1080p30@29.97".

I continued on to the "Pan and Zoom" screen and followed the instructions there.  Why do I need to make four frames?  Can the frames be oriented as portrait instead of landscape?  My preferred goal is to start with the video zoomed in onto a person at the bottom and then zoom out such that we see the person balancing a 30' tall pole on his head.

In the "Expert" screen, I inserted the three second freeze frames at the beginning and end of the first "P&Z" frame.  What is the purpose of this?  All it did was add two clips and lengthened the video by six seconds.  To place the slider on the exact last frame, is zooming in to the maximum the only way?  What is the importance of the location and scale settings?

In any case, are the photos to be used limited to 1080 (Width) x 1920 (Height)?  If so, wouldn't the video become blurry when zooming in?

Thank you for your help!

• 3. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

PremiereBeginner

Thanks for taking a look at the suggestions.

As for

I can't find where to set the project preset to "NTSC/ DSLR/ 1080p/ DSLR 1080p30@29.97".

File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings to do the manual setting of the project preset.

A fuller description is found in the How To in the following

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

Do not forget the check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project. All that is done before you

import your source media into the project.

I am working on the reply to the rest of your post numbered  2 and hope to have a workflow for you soon to experiment

with (hoping to get that done by tomorrow).

ATR

• 4. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

PremiereBeginner

Here is the rest of the story.

Part 1. The gtavetian workflow

Bottom line: the details in the thread of gtavetian are appropriate there but not for you who wants to start with the zoomed in person and then zoom out.

So, I am going to offer a different workflow for you to consider. But before I do, I will answer the questions about the workflow suggested for the gtavetian goal with portrait oriented photos and the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool to apply pan and zoom effects to the photos.

I continued on to the "Pan and Zoom" screen and followed the instructions there.  Why do I need to make four frames?  Can the frames be oriented as portrait instead of landscape?

You can make as many focus frames as you want. I have never found that the focus frames can be resized in a portrait type orientation.

In the "Expert" screen, I inserted the three second freeze frames at the beginning and end of the first "P&Z" frame.  What is the purpose of this?

When you return to the Expert workspace from the Pan and Zoom worked space, you are viewing a zoomed in first frame and zoomed in last frame. The intent of the overall effect was to start and end with the completely zoomed out first and last frame and have the pan and zoom in between. How to make that adjustment is given. But, you are left with only a 1 frame duration for each of the first and last frames with the pan and zoom in between. So, I add more frames (freeze frames) for the completely zoomed out image to get more time for it to be seen rather than an abrupt one frame look and then pan and zoom effect.

To place the slider on the exact last frame, is zooming in to the maximum the only way?  What is the importance of the location and scale settings?

See "2" above. All the instructions including original photo pixel dimensions are given to achieve the pan and zoom effect demo'd.

4. There should be no blurs in your results. And, when you use the Premiere Elements Pan and Zoom Tool to apply pan and zoom effect to a photo, the duration of the panned and zoomed photo back in the Expert workspace is increased significantly depending on the number of focus frames you add in the Pan and Zoom workspace creating the pan and zoom effect. That is the way it is for this Pan and Zoom Tool and Stills.

Part 2. Suggested Different Approach for your portrait oriented photos/pan and zoom effect/Premiere Elements 11 Mac according to

My preferred goal is to start with the video zoomed in onto a person at the bottom and then zoom out such that we see the person balancing a 30' tall pole on his head.

1. Open Premiere Elements 11 to its Expert workspace.

2. Set your project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97

3. In the Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and use check mark next to "Default Scale to Frame Size". Next....

Your 3648 x 5472 photos have an aspect ratio = 2:3 which is characteristic of printing, not video with its 4:3 or 16:9. You could crop your photos however you want for whatever project settings are appropriate for your goals. For this example, I am going to leave the 5472 x 3648 2:3 image as is and import it into Premiere Elements 11 Mac using the 16:9 project's Get Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where I drag it to the start of the Timeline's Video Track 1.

You should see

Threadstep1.JPG

With Timeline clip highlighted/selected, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and write down the

values for Position (in my case 960.0 and 540.0) and Scale (in my case 100%).

With the Timeline clip highlighted/selected, scale the image with the Motion Panel expanded's Scale slider so that you see just the head of the

person (in my case, the plant container). You should see

Replacement.JPG

Note that the Position values are now 605.8 and -2017.2 and the Scale value is 685.7. Try for a low as possible Scale value for the Zoom In of the head.

Click on the Toggle Animation icon to the right of the Motion Panel name to set the Position and Scale keyframes.

Note: you get the type of view as seen above by clicking on the Show/hide keyframe controls icon at the top right/on line with the vertical panel that says Applied Effects.

Then move the Timeline Indicator to the last frame of the photo. Then change the Position and Scale values to

read 960.0 and 540.0 for Position and 100% for Scale. The on screen image now seen should look like that seen in the first screenshot above.

Render the Timeline content to get the best possible preview.

With all of the above done, the return to the completely zoomed out last frame is abrupt. So, I have added a 2 second free frame of the last frame to give the viewer more time to see the photo in its completely zoomed out state.

If necessary, I will try to post a view of what this should look like via a YouTube or Video few seconds video. Smoothness of zoom out needs to be addressed, perhaps by adding some more keyframes between the first and last as we have done and some other maneuvers. See how you do with the principle.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I finally settled on this mini clip to Vimeo to show you the overall effect of what I have suggested.

PZ Effect Portrait Test on Vimeo

• 5. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
                  estherd857672

Thank you ATR. I was having the same problem with Premiere Elements 14 and 2:3 / 3:2 photos (I think Adobe is short-sighted in having presets only for 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios - most videos these days are viewed on the web after all, where you can have pretty much any ratio you like!)  I had actually started looking for another software program but your instructions saved the day!

• 6. Re: I have photographs that were taken vertically.  How do I apply pan and zoom effects to them such that I can view them in the correct orientation?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

estherd857672

Thank you for sharing your concerns and your great results with the suggested pan and zoom of a portrait oriented image.

Glad that the suggestions in the thread helped you obtain the video effect that you needed for your project.

Please never hesitate to ask questions and to ask for clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR