5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2016 6:07 PM by Pat481

Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC

Nikhil R Gupta Adobe Employee

InDesign keyboard shortcuts (alt-drag) on an object stops working when Real Time Thread Shield is active in Webroot Antivirus 2013 and later on MAC.

Product: InDesign CC and CC 2014

Steps:

1 Open Webroot Antivirus.

2 Go to Advanced settings.

3 Uncheck Secure keyboard entry mode.

4 Also from the fly out menu in Webroot icon, Click on Pause Secure Keyboard entry.

Try to open InDesign and all shortcuts should work.

• 1. Re: Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC
          Pat481 Level 1

This is a great work around but also a problem with the way that InDesign works.

I'm finding that indesign can't recognise certain keys when secure input is turned on in mac os, which is the root cause of the issues with webroot, last pass (documented here) other chrome extensions, Safari the defult webbrowser on mac and many third party apps. Secure input is a Mac Os feature, but to your point one that isn't designed to be left on permanently. Anecdotally, all other non adobe apps i've used don't have a problem with it being on.

The stakes are high for option and shift keys not working, not duplicating an object you later delete can be catastrophic to a designer, so even if this is a niche issue I think adobe should seriously consider finding a more modern way of listening to key presses. It's not just apps, leave your cursor in a password field and try to option drag an object. IMO that could happen to anyone and probably has happened to a large amount of users over the use of the product. Totally get why people assume it's nothing to do with Adobe, it's an unusual situation, but when all the other professional app i use work just fine with secure input on i can't help but feel that the onus is also on Adobe to fix it.

A small list of apps that trigger secure entry for long periods, sometimes for good reason, and don't affect any apple, autodesk, corel or micrsoft software on my machine.

• 1Password
          • Box
          • Chronories
          • Firefox
          • Fluid
          • Game Center
          • Google Chrome extentions
          • Hulu Desktop
          • iFinance
          • LastPass
          • loginwindow (Mac os proccess)
          • Notational Velocity
          • Parallels Desktop 9 and 10
          • Quicken Scheduler
          • Safari (leave your cursor in a password feild)
          • Slack
          • Terminal
          • Webroot SecureAnywhere
          • 2. Re: Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use 1Password on two Macintoshes with no problems in any version of InDesign. It's a great password application, which is also installed on my mobile devices.

• 3. Re: Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC
              Pat481 Level 1

I haven't had any problems with that particular app either to be honest. Lots of people have reported this issue though.

From Smile softwares page:

1Password

On Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, 1Password will enable Secure Input mode while it's hidden. This will happen when choosing the "Hide 1Password" menu option or choosing "Hide Others" when 1Password is running. Minimizing 1Password or leaving it visible in the background will not cause this problem.

Update: Should be fixed for 1Password 4.

• 4. Re: Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC
                Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think it's been long fixed. It shouldn't be included in such a list. The current version is 1Password 6.

• 5. Re: Webroot suppressing keyboard shortcuts in InDesign CC
                  Pat481 Level 1

would probably have to agree with you there in hindsight, yea.