14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2014 5:23 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

SophieBr8k Community Member

When I first import a clip into my project, the video quality is fine, but after I render it, it craps out, gets all grainy (the irony). How do I fix this problem?

• 1. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)
          A.T. Romano Community Member

SophieBr8k

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

When you first bring your video to the Timeline is there no colored line over the content or an orange line?

And, what are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media? (See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio even if the fields look grayed out.) What are the properties of your source media - brand/model/settings of the camera recording the video might give us the information that we need. Please include file extension.

Rendering of the Timeline gives you the best possible preview for the playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor. So, no matter what the video looks like when first imported into the Timeline, the program is telling you that you have a problem, better being caught sooner than later.

Also, it might help to define the situation if you took the rendered Timeline (in its inferior state) to your export choice....this would let us differentiate between a preview issue and a Timeline project issue.

Have you gone through the drill...

a. Latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11

b. Running program from User Account with Administrative Privileges

c. Video card/graphics card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

There is no simple do this or that. The answers will be in the details.

Looking forward to your follow up to help you resolve your Premiere Elements 11 issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

The operating system is windows 7. Depending on the clip, sometimes the line above is all green, sometimes its green in some places and orange in others. They all look fine when I play them in media player, but some of them get grainy after the render, some of them don't.  I was using a Flip pocket camcorder (4G), .mp4 file type. This isn't the first time I've used it for a project, never had this problem.

Project settings:

editing mode:1080i

timebase: 29.97 frames/sec.

frame size: 1920 horizontal, 1080 vertical

pixel aspect ratio: square pixels (1.0)

Properties of source media:

frame width 1080

frame height 720

data rate 9848kbps

total bitrate 9981 kbps

frame rate: 60 frames/second

I just installed the latest version of Quicktime, doesn't seem to be helping. 'Also, it might help to define the situation if you took the rendered Timeline (in its inferior state) to your export choice.' I'm not sure what that means or how to do that :s .

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

SophieBr8k

In what follows, I am assuming that your 1080 x 720 was meant to be 1280 x 720......

Thanks for the follow up. You appear to have a mismatch between project settings and properties of your source video. Let us see if that is causing the

issue that you present. Sounds like it should.

1. Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit. Open a new project to the Expert workspace.

2. In the Expert workspace, go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings. In the Change Settings area, change

the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p60

In the new project dialog (last thing to do in that area), make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Settings On This Project". Close out of there.

3. Back in the Expert workspace, import your source video, using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline Video Track 1.

a. do you see no colored line or an orange colored line over the Timeline content? You should not. If you do, press the Render button to render the TImeline.

b. either way, please let us know the results.

4. Next I want you to export your rendered Timeline to a file saved to the computer hard drive. For that

a. Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 - HD720p60

b. What is the quality of that export when it is played back on your computer player?

We will be watching for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Yes it was supposed to be 1280. Sorry, totally saw that wrong.

Ok, so, did as you said, changed settings and so on. When I imported the clip, no line above, but it was grainy without the render. But when I exported it (unrendered), the vid looked good, not grainy. Am I going to have to do that for all the clips?

Thanks again!

• 5. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

SophieBr8k

Thanks for the reply and the good news part about the export quality.

Let us give this a try....repeat the instructions again, but this time, when you get your video on the Timeline (no colored line over its contents), right click the video there, select Time Stretch, and change the Speed % in the Time Stretch dialog to 99. Then close out of Time Stretch. When you look at the Timeline, you will now have an orange line replacing the no colored line over the content. Press the Render button. What does the video playback in the Edit area monitor look like now at playback when there is a green line over the content? This "forced rendering" maneuver has worked occasionally to remedy this type of situation.

Please let us know the results and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Ok, so, feeling like a bit of a moron here, but in the last test, I failed to notice I was in the Quick work space, not Expert. So redid everything. When I import the clip, there's an orange line over it and the quality is fine. Hit render, line turns green and the video is grainy. Once exported (rendered), though, it looked good.

Moving on to the time stretch test. I repeated the instructions, imported the video, did the time stretch and rendered it. The orange line (already present when I imported the clip) turned green and the video was grainy.

Sophie

• 7. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

SophieBr8k

Thanks for the reply especially the good news part about the quality of the export.

Are you getting any display card error message when you open the program or import your video into the project?

Have you checked to determine if your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the manufacturer of the card?

You could also right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and then compare the Playback Quality's settings for Automatic versus

Highest.

You said that you have set the project preset manually according to my earlier suggestions. Please verify that those settings are in effect by checking the Edit Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio readings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General...even if they look grayed out. The recommended project preset should be reflected in the Edit Menu/Project Settings/General as per the following screenshot....

720p60.JPG

Also, after you import your 720p60 file into the project, right click its thumbnail in Expert workspace Project Assets, and select Properties

from the drop down menu. What does the Properties dialog show for Frame Size and Frame Rate?

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks again for the follow ups. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Rechecked the settings, they match the screenshot. The graphics driver is updated and I don't get any kind of error message.

Properties: image size= 1280x720    frame rate= 60.00

Changing the playback quality to highest didn't help, it's still grainy.

Thanks!

Sophie

• 9. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Sophie

Thanks. Sorry the grainy is not yet gone.

Would you consider sending a sample of this video in a DropBox link in a reply in your thread? I can open such a link but am not a good source of how to create such a link. Hope maybe you have had some experience with DropBox sending so I could take a first hand look at the video in my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit.

While you are thinking about that I will go online to see if I can find a sample from your camera that way.

To be continued....

ATR

• 10. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Dropbox - Untitled.mp4       This is the rendered exported clip (one of the clips presenting with this problem)

Dropbox - VID00015.MP4     This is the original. Wasn't sure which one you wanted.

• 11. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Sophie

Thanks for the opportunity to explore first hand your problem video. The download is now completed, and I will give the two files that you sent an in depth look and report back with my results as soon as possible.

ATR

• 12. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Sophie

Part 1.

Your Untitled.mp4 (original footage)

Video Compression  = AVCHD

Audio Compression =  AAC Stereo

Frame Rate = 60 progressive frames per second

File Extension = .mp4

From face value, it would appear that the project preset should be

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD Lite 720p60

In Premiere Elements 11, the program takes control over setting the project preset based on some composite properties of the first video file dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes it does it right, sometimes not. In those not situation, it does not give you the closet project preset for what you have, but rather defaults to its default

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i30

which does not match your video's properties including a 30 interlaced frame rates per second frame rate instead of a 60 progressive frames per second one and including 1920 x 1080 frame size instead of your video's 1280 x 720 frame size.  Why? It appears to be defaulting because it is having a problem with the frame rate. It is looking for a 59.94 to profile it and is finding 60 frames per second for your video.

When we boil all of the above down to a few words. In this case, you need to set the project preset manually.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

When you do, you should be able to import your video into the NTSC/AVCHD/AVCHD LITE 720p60 project without the orange line over the Timeline content in spite of this 59.94/60 business.

Part 2

When I import your Untitled.mp4 into a Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit project manually set to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p60

the video quality looks good at playback in the Edit Area monitor. And, there is no opportunity to render this specific content (to get a better preview) since the program with its no color line over content indicator line is telling me that I have the best possible preview. And, I have found good quality playback viewing in Full Screen also.

Your Untitled.mp4 has a video bitrate (variable bitrate) of 5973 Kbps (kilobits per second, in Mbps 5.973. The file size is 41.0 MB).

If you export your Untitled.mp4 video to

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 HD720p60

you should have a file whose properties are comparable to the source. The playback of this AVCHD.mp4 export in your computer player should be good.

If file size considerations for the export are not an issue here, you could increase the export video export bitrate settings under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset to seek a higher quality export.

But, when all was said and done, I was not seeing "grainy" before or after playback of the Untitled.mp4 in Edit area monitor. The export of that H.264.mp4 at no time looked grainy at playback in QuickTime player.

Please review and consider. Double check project preset, especially the "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" check mark in the new project dialog when you are doing the manual setting of the project preset. Please let me know what further testing you need for your samples.

Looking forward to your further results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

I have emerged victorious . Messing with the presets/settings seems to do the trick. I was able to finish the project and publish/share it and it looks great. Thanks for all the help.

Cheers.

• 14. Re: Problems with render (prem. elements 11)

Sophie

I applaud your success. Great job. I was impressed and pleased with the news "I was able to finish the project and publish/share it and it looks great."

Best wishes and please let us know if you have any questions on your Premiere Elements workflows moving forward.

Thanks.

ATR