6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 5:20 AM by Fritz Herbers

ACR auto adjustment exposure too high

Fritz Herbers

Hello

For about 95% of my pictures I would like the auto adjustment option to save time.

In my opinion ACR 8.6 auto adjustment sets the exposure too high, resulting in too bright sky's and even worse washed-out colors.

Example

http://80.219.170.118/public/acr/_MG_7523x.CR2

What do you think? I would like to hear your opinion.

How can I improve my workflow so that the auto adjustment option gives me better results.

Thanks in advance

Fritz

• 1. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You or your camera overexposed this by about a stop, so ACR adding another half-a-stop exposure isn’t surprising.  Neither the camera nor ACR can tell that the pink building should remain pink and everything else should be dark be comparison.

For outdoors shots like this, I usually click Auto, then put the exposure back where I want it, add some Clarity, sometimes change the Highlights slider, then shift-double-click the Whites and Blacks sliders to readjust them for the change in brightness.

• 2. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
            Fritz Herbers Level 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

My WF doesn't deviate that much from yours.

>ACR adding another half-a-stop exposure isn’t surprising

Good point, +1 +1/2, back off with -3 to -4 manually. This is what astonishes me that ACR goes the wrong way and it needs a big opposite adjustment.

During an editing session, 90% of the auto adjustments I had to adjust (extremely) down, only 10% up, this made me think ACR is over-exposing by default.

For difficult lighting situations (not this one) I use bracketing, and noticed that the exposure levels still lay around the same value, not differentiating by the bracket-stops.

This behavior made me unsure (what is good exposure), and I noticed during an editing session that I first dialed exposure down, but not far enough (realizing it now) and compensated it with the highlights.

Then I started editing from default and dialing in all sliders manually, which is very tedious, as I wasn't sure what auto adjustment does to for example contrast, when exposure gets so far off.

I am only asking the following for the 95% of my pictures, for which I don't want to do extensive fine tuning:

What do you think how good ACR is calculating contrast,highlight, shadows, whites, black. Will those calculated values be the same independent on the adjusted exposure level?

What I wanted your opinion on is, what do you expect ACR set these values to, when ACR gets exposure right and when it creates an over-exposure, would they be the same or different?

• 3. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
              Level 5

The auto adjustment is meant only to give you a very rough idea of what direction you can go for any given adjustment.  It is entirely up to you to use your brain and exercise good judgment.

Fritz Herbers wrote:

…I am only asking the following for the 95% of my pictures, for which I don't want to do extensive fine tuning…

You almost sound like a good candidate to be shooting JPEGs. 

• 4. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
                areohbee Level 6

Fritz Herbers wrote:

During an editing session, 90% of the auto adjustments I had to adjust (extremely) down, only 10% up, this made me think ACR is over-exposing by default.

I concur - it leans toward over-exposure in my opinion too. Dunno if it's 90% exactly, but definitely greater than 50%.

• 5. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
                  Level 5

Funny, by now I don't even click on auto in about 98% of the cases.  Not needed at all.

For the remaining 2%, however, it is useful.

• 6. Re: ACR auto adjustment exposure too high
                    Fritz Herbers Level 1

Yesterday I edited 140 photos (falling into my 95% for which I prefer fast editing/fixing):

About 90 original well-exposed, ACR over-exposed to +0.40 to +0.80, which I had to dial back to -0.30 to +0.20. (Also good exposed pictures are to high over-exposed by ACR)

About 30 original over-exposed +0.30-+0.60, ACR over-exposed to +0.60 to +1.00, had to go back to -0.70 to -0.40 (this is what ssprengel said that ACR adds to original over-exposure)

About 20 original under-exposed -0.60 to -0.30, ACR exposed to +0 to +0.60, and had to go back in some cases.

What I see is that ACR exaggerates exposure in too many cases, that's why I asked my second question, if the other values are highly dependent on the calculated exposure. Hoping for some answers.