• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[Developer] Endpoint for most recent version of Flash?

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2014 Sep 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an Adobe endpoint I can ping that will respond with the current version number?

My use-case:

On the page I have a flash video player, and if flash is out of date I want to reinitialize the player with html5 rather than force the user to download the most up-to-date flash version to see the content.

With swfobject, one can do swfobject.hasFlashPlayerVersion('14.0') and see if the browser's flash version is equal to or greater than some number. But this is not future-proof. Someday the browser will require a greater number than I've just hardcoded. (I know I could go in manually every time you update).

Possible alternative solution: some way to query the browser to see what version of flash it requires to not display the "Flash out of date" widget.

I have tried the getURL solution from this SO question but I couldn't get any javascript to execute that way. There may be flash security requirements that no longer make that solution possible.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

There's not an officially supported mechanism for determining the latest version programatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It'd be great if someone from Adobe could weigh in and say "This endpoint does not exist" if that's the case.

But...it seems like a no-brainer to provide for people. Don't make me scrape your site just to get that version number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's not an officially supported mechanism for determining the latest version programatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines