2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 12:05 PM by coachgns

How do I combine Catalogs?

coachgns Level 1

I've been sloppy in my use of Catalogs in Lightroom (LR4.4), and now I am trying to get better organized.

The major problem is that I've been using 2 different computers, and on both computers I used the same Catalog name.   Some pictures, edits are on both computers, and some are on just one.

I am now switching to a single computer & I want to combine the two catalogs into a single catalog.

Can't figure out how to do that.

any advice?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: How do I combine Catalogs?
          dj_paige Level 9

On the  computer with the catalog that will be discarded, select File->Export as Catalog, and check "Include Negatives". Move every file created to the other computer.

Open the catalog that you want to contain everything, select File->Import from Another Catalog and then point Lightroom to the 2nd catalog.

• 2. Re: How do I combine Catalogs?
            coachgns Level 1

Thanks - but as of now, that Other Catalog is on a different computer, so I can't point to it.

CAn I use the Backup disk from that computer?

I recently tried to ue the backup disk to find a photo to edit & I got a message something to the effect that I can't edit that file.  Thus wondering if I can import from a backup?

Ahh - maybe move that file to the CLoud or Google Drive?

THen my next issue is that most photos are stored on an external drive, but I do have some photos stored on one of the computers. I'd like to combine them all together, but don't want to duplicate. Mainly RAW & DNG files - taking up lots of space, thus stored on a 1 TB drive (that is running out of space).