See this page:
If that doesn't fix your problem, go through the pages at the bottom of the page that I linked to for additional troubleshooting suggestions.
Thanks for the quick reply, Todd.
I did what you and the links suggested (in fact, turned off the firewall completely; set permissions to r+w in the directory hierarchy). I also removed preference files and rebooted. Sill have the same trifecta of symptoms
- long wait while AE does the ‘Initialize media core step”
- Complaint about QuickTime not being on the system
- Crash, with a log report referring to the dynamic link manager
Again, this is after having updated to AE 11.0.4, running on Mac OS X 10.9.4 on late 2013 Mac Pro (6-core; 32 GB memory).
I’ll keep poking around to see if others have had this problem. From your response, I gather the solutions you offered worksfor most people.