2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 12:12 AM by davidc1815

How to make oil/gouache textured brush?

kevintk

I've searched far and wide in an effort to create a brush that mimics the appearance of oil or gouache paint applied to paper. The near-3D quality of the paint strokes seems complex for a brush, but I have come here to seek advice from those who know the software best.

Here's a close-up of the texture I'd like to achieve (these are from digital paintings):

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 10.12.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 10.12.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-02 at 10.12.25 PM.png

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kevin

• 1. Re: How to make oil/gouache textured brush?
          Farrellart Level 3

Hi, I have seen this kind of texture in other programs like ArtRage and Sketchbook Pro.

It might be a little tricky in PS....this is off the top of my head as I am away from my workstation. You could try to create a shallow black and white bump map texture, save it and then load that file as a texture in the brush settings. Not sure if this will work but it's worth a shot.

• 2. Re: How to make oil/gouache textured brush?
            davidc1815 Level 4

The images you posted are too small for me to see the texture but if there is no texture showing, the Mixer Brushes with Bristle tips will give you a decent bristly brushstroke and you can use Filter>Stylize>Emboss with the Overlay Blend Mode to get a sort of Impasto paint effect when the brushstroke painting is finished.  If you wanted a canvas effect, you can use a Pattern Adjustment layer or the Filter>Texturizer to do this.