14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 4:25 PM by jenanke

Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures

K-T-Mac

I'm having inDesign issues - text disappearing from indesign. Then when i rewrite, it disappears when i export to PDF & open in Acrobat. Random photos disappearing in the pdf. Certain pages can't be deleted & I can't insert pages in certain places. Very weird. Was on 'chat' to Adobe Help for 2 HOURS and I really have no confidence that he knew the program AT ALL. HELP!

• 1. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

First thing to check would be if things disappear when you switch between normal and preview modes.

What happens when you try to insert to delete pages?

Which version of ID? Which OS?

• 2. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
            K-T-Mac Level 1

Latest version of InDesign cc - up to date

Operating system (iMac) OS X Maverick

When I try to delete certain pages it asks if I'm sure because there is info on the page (there isn't). I click yes. But the page remains.

when I try to insert a page between certain the insert page info box is slow to respond & then says either that object will be too small & that I should check my line OR that the boundary box is wrong.

• 4. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures

It sounds like the file is damaged (and I bet if you do a select all on that Blank page there is something that is either showing as a single point or is astronomically large -- there's a bug in CC). Try exporting to .idml and see if it helps (see Remove minor corruption by exporting ) and replace any "missing" objects that have dimensions or coordinates listed in scientific notation.

• 5. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                K-T-Mac Level 1

thanks. i'll give it a go in the morning.

On a side note: I had a look if the pages showed up correctly in preview mode in Finder (so without actually opening the doc) and they do. It's just when i open it that they're not there.

• 6. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                  K-T-Mac Level 1

This is what i'm getting when i export to .idml - several pages with massive spaces below them. If I 'select all' on each page, it pics up data at the bottom of the page, actually off the page. If i grab that data at the bottom and move it, the page length moves up with it. And best of all, if i delete them, the page goes back to normal and the 'disappearing text boxes' suddenly reappear. THANK-YOU!!! Seriously THANK-YOU!

adobe-community-2a.jpg.

• 7. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures

I'd definitely export this file to.idml at this point, and would consider replacing the pages that were problematic.

• 8. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                      KCH LTD

InDesign 2014.2 Release  |  10.2.0.69 Build

I recently upgraded to the latest version of InDesign via the Cloud app and two chronic issues have reappeared:

• Text randomly disappears during editing on the page.
                      • Launching the spellcheck function causes InDesign to crash.

Come on, Adobe — I (and many other users) dealt with these problems for months after we transitioned from CS6 to CC 2014. Eventually, you fixed the problems, but it took forever! Now they’re back with your latest “upgrade.”

This is ridiculous!

• 9. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                        Derek Cross Level 6

Please note you're not talking to Adobe on this forum, but to other users, some of whom may be able to help you resolve your issues. But you'll need to spell out in detail the problem and include your OS version etc - and be polite and only post the issue once, not three times!

• 10. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                          KCH LTD Level 1

Thank you, DerekC1000.

Apologies if my post seems impolite. It’s because I’m irritated — when something you’ve paid for doesn’t function as advertised, it’s irritating. And while this is a user forum, it is monitored by Adobe. So yes, I am speaking to Adobe.

Per your request for more information, I am running Mac OSX Yosemite 10.10.2 on a Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon.

To expand on these two problems:

• Text randomly disappears; all of the text within a selected text frame simply vanishes from view. The text is still there but it’s not visible. This happens sporadically, regardless of the document I’m editing. The workaround is to click out of the text frame and change the page magnification, which usually restores the text.
                          • Launching the spellcheck function causes InDesign to crash. This happens at a rate of 80-to-90% of the time, regardless of the document I’m editing. I have found no workaround other than to relaunch InDesign after it crashes and try again.

To confirm: these issues are not unique to me (at least they weren’t the last time I was plagued by them). If you look at older forums from the early days of CC 2014, you’ll see many similar threads from many users frustrated by the same two problems. Adobe fixed these bugs months ago (with a patch that they supplied after responding to a forum). These problems have now reoccured with the latest software upgrade. I posted in multiple threads in an effort to reach more users.

Thanks again.

• 11. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                            ed73 Level 1

I have much the same issue as you KCH. Started today and from searching online seems to be a big problem. Spell check is OK but text just randomly vanishes unless you click out of the frame or change the zoom. It is almost impossible to keep my workflow as I would like having to do this EVERY SINGLE TIME I click to make a text change.

Mac OS 10.10.2, InDesign 10.2.0.69 and a virtually brand new Macbook Pro (2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16GM RAM)

• 12. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                              KCH LTD Level 1

Problems persist … no solutions in sight from Adobe.

• 13. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                                cckohler1 Level 1

My InDesign text started randomly disappearing yesterday and the problem persists today. I've also been experiencing a lot of hangs and crashes with all Adobe Cloud products. My productivity has been significantly impaired with these problems as well as just the overall slow responses to every menu selection, every edit -- pretty much every single action. It's very, very frustrating.

I have a MacBook Pro, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 with Mavericks (OSX 10.9.5) and it is way, way slower than my much older MacBook Pro with Adobe CS5. Wish I had not updated.

• 14. Re: Indesign Randomly Disappearing Text & Pictures
                                  jenanke

This happens on my PC too. It had been going on for a while. Most of the time I quit and restart and it works fine for a while, then starts up again. Today, it starts up again immediately. I have posted about this before. I have sent a bug report. I have talked to their support, who says it is something with my computer and suggested I migrate to a new user, which I tried, but it did not work. Maybe if enough people contact Adobe about this, they might bother to fix it.