6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 9:08 AM by Rick Gerard

how can I do this

xXMrSpiderPigXx

Hey I was wondering how can I make a paranormal activity movie and how can I do all the effects I want to learn how can someone help me please

Thank you

• 1. Re: how can I do this
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

Start here to learn Premiere Pro: http://adobe.ly/psbYc4

• 2. Re: how can I do this
            xXMrSpiderPigXx Level 1

Thank you but does it tell me how

• 3. Re: how can I do this
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

You need to learn the basics first. Then, when you have specific questions, folks here will be able to help you to find answers to those.

• 4. Re: how can I do this
                xXMrSpiderPigXx Level 1

like saying if I want to pull someone out of the bed while there sleeping without anyone doing it something like that what would it be under

• 5. Re: how can I do this
                  Dave LaRonde Level 6

You're biting off more than you can chew... a boatload more than you can chew.  There's no magic recipe book entitled, "How To Make A Paranormal Activity Movie".

You're asking us to give you advice on special effects techniques, but you wouldn't be able to understand what we told you.  In other words, you don't even know how much you don't know.  You have lofty ambitions, but ZERO knowledge and ZERO experience... and to pull this off, you need both knowledge and experience.

So take Todd's advice -- learn the applications first.  Follow the links he provided.  Start small and build up knowledge & experience.  Fail to do so, and you'll only experience frustration.

• 6. Re: how can I do this
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Throwing someone out of bed involves lots of things like wire rigging, wire removal, rotoscoping, and mostly production planning with an understanding of how visual effects are done. You have to do some reading. There are lots of books. There is no single post step by step that will give you the tools you need to do something like Paranormal Activity. You're talking hundreds of effects, lots of production planning, hundreds if not thousands of man hours in post. Convincing Visual effects are not a matter of buying a plug-in and clicking apply. They all involve separating the elements you need for the effect into layers, removing everything you don't want to see, keeping the things you do want to see, matching camera moves, matching perspective, and then adding the color grading and other visual effects required to sell the effect as something real.

Ok, if you insist, here is a step by step for throwing someone out of bed using a hand held camera:

1. Plan your action and rig your actor with something that will safely pull them out of bed
                    2. Carefully rehearse your camera move so that you can repeat it very precisely
                    3. Shoot the 'action plate' with your assistants pulling the actor out of bed
                    4. Shoot a clean plate so you'll have something to fill in the holes when you remove the assistants and the rig (wire removal) used to pull your actor out of bed
                    5. Import a good take of the actor being pulled out of bed and the clean plate (a shot with nothing in it but the actor in bed in first position)
                    6. Track and stabilize (not Warp Stabilize) both shots so you can precisely line up the clean plate with the action plate
                    7. Roto out your assistants and the wires
                    8. Clean up the roto masks and combine the clean plate with the live action plate.
                    9. Re-introduce the camera movement from the action plate
                    10. Color correct your scene

There you go. Expect to spend several days on this shot if it is your first attempt and do be careful with your actor. No movie or effect is worth an injury. I've been doing movies with effects professionally for more than four decades and I've never hurt an actor. I would never attempt to pull someone out of bed without hiring a professional rigger.

You'll never get anywhere in AE if you don't go through the basics and learn everything you can about steps 5 through 10.