13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2014 11:04 PM by Gold Pirate

Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?

Gold Pirate

Whenever I playback my edit on the timeline, it starts off playing fine, but after a few seconds it starts to lag. I am using a macbook pro (2.4GHz intel core 2 duo processor, OS X V10.9.4), and was initially editing off a WD hard drive connected with a Firewire800 cable. I have shifted all my rushes and the premiere elements project file from the hard drive to my laptop, but that doesn't seem to work. Project settings and Clip settings seem to match, otherwise I wouldn't be able to open the project file anyway. I fiddled with some of the playback settings, but nothing seemed to work. I need to rush out a piece of work asap. Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the source media (file type and codec)?

• 2. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

gold pirate

Premiere Elements 9 on Mac computer.

Is this a "it worked before but now" or "it never worked before" situation?

The rest of my questions may or may not apply based on your answer to the above.

1. Are you running Premiere Elements 9 from the 9.0.1 Update?

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Macintosh : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

2. Is the problem specific to one particular project and one particular type of footage?

a. Does the problem persist with the same footage in a new project?

b. Does the problem persist in the same project but different footage (either from old or new source).

If this is a "it worked before but not now situation", do you have any of the old footage that you can use

as a before and after control now?

3. Rather than deal with "seems to", let us have available for troubleshooting

a. Project Preset that you are setting in the new project dialog

b. Properties of your source media....sometimes we can get that information from brand/model/settings for camera

that recorded the video. Otherwise properties readout program are convenient and comprehensive.

MediaInfo Mac (Mac) - Download

4. Where are your Scratch Disks directed and how much free space is at that location? How much installed and available RAM does your computer have?

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is only a 32 bit application when run in a 32 bit or 64 bit system. What is the total duration of this Timeline video which seems to be playing back OK for only 2 seconds of the total duration. Are you playing back the rendered or unrendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor when you run into the lag issue?

Perhaps an important bottom line why

was initially editing off a WD hard drive connected with a Firewire800 cable. I have shifted all my rushes and the premiere elements project file from the hard drive to my laptop,

Was all going well for this specific footage and Premiere Elements playback before your shift?

Those are my immediate thoughts on the issue that you presented.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
              Gold Pirate Level 1

Hmm... i'm not sure. But it was recorded on a nikon d810.

• 4. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gold Pitrate

Nikon D810

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 Mac

From what I have read about that camera, you could be recording with AVCHD video compression with a .mov file extension.

1920 x 1080 @ 60 progressive frames per second

1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second

1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second

The appropriate (corresponding) project preset would be

1080p60

Unless you are doing frame by frame edits...

Use same for 1080p60 as for 1080p30. There is no 1080p60 project preset in this version.

Render Timeline on import.

1080p30

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 or DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

Render not needed or expected at import

1080p24

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

Render not needed or expected at import

With the correct project preset and the latest version of QuickTime installed, this phase of the issue should be OK.

But what about the answers to the rest of the questions in post numbered

ATR

• 5. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                  Gold Pirate Level 1

Warmest,

Alaric

Begin forwarded message:

Subject:  Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?

Date: 4 September, 2014 2:14:05 am GMT+8

To: Alaric Tay <alaric.taylh@gmail.com>

Reply-To: jive-1252280065-1tzkg-2-3zkaa@adobe-v7.hosted.jivesoftware.com

Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

gold pirate

Premiere Elements 9 on Mac computer.

Is this a "it worked before but now" or "it never worked before" situation?

It is neither. This is the first time I’m working with this file type on premiere element 9.

The rest of my questions may or may not apply based on your answer to the above.

1. Are you running Premiere Elements 9 from the 9.0.1 Update?

No, am not running from this update. should I update it?

Adobe - Premiere Elements : For Macintosh : Premiere Elements 9.0.1 update

2. Is the problem specific to one particular project and one particular type of footage?

No, it is not specific to one project nor type of footage.

a. Does the problem persist with the same footage in a new project?

Yes, the problem is still there when the same footage is in a new project.

b. Does the problem persist in the same project but different footage (either from old or new source).

Yes, the problem still persists in the same project with different type of footage.

If this is a "it worked before but not now situation", do you have any of the old footage that you can use

as a before and after control now?

N.A

3. Rather than deal with "seems to", let us have available for troubleshooting

a. Project Preset that you are setting in the new project dialog

b. Properties of your source media....sometimes we can get that information from brand/model/settings for camera

that recorded the video. Otherwise properties readout program are convenient and comprehensive.

MediaInfo Mac (Mac) - Download

4. Where are your Scratch Disks directed and how much free space is at that location? How much installed and available RAM does your computer have?

Scratch disks have been stored in the same location as project file from the very beginning. At first on the external hard drive, then later on my laptop.

I have 4Gb of Ram installed in my mac book pro.

Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 is only a 32 bit application when run in a 32 bit or 64 bit system. What is the total duration of this Timeline video which seems to be playing back OK for only 2 seconds of the total duration. total duration is about 2 minutes. To be more accurate, it starts to lag about 20-30 seconds after playing back from any point in the timeline.

Are you playing back the rendered or unrendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor when you run into the lag issue?

I am playing back rendered timeline.

was initially editing off a WD hard drive connected with a Firewire800 cable. I have shifted all my rushes and the premiere elements project file from the hard drive to my laptop,

Was all going well for this specific footage and Premiere Elements playback before your shift?

No it was not going well. Hence the shift.

Those are my immediate thoughts on the issue that you presented.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at https://forums.adobe.com/message/6698098#6698098

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 6. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gold Pirate

First, sorry for incorrectly typing your ID back in post 4. I cannot get back into the post to correct that.

1. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your Mac computer along with Premiere Elements 9?

2. If you do not have the 9.0.1 Update installed and are working from it, please do that from the following Adobe link.

(Premiere Elements can be closed while you do this.)

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4930

3. Referring back to post 4 in this thread, please tell me specifically the properties of your source media. I want to relate

that to project preset and my question/your reply

Are you playing back the rendered or unrendered Timeline in the Edit area monitor when you run into the lag issue?

I am playing back rendered timeline.

Also, when your video is the first file dragged to the Timeline, is there no colored line over it or a red line?

Let us focus on just this for now and then review the rest based on your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                      Gold Pirate Level 1

Hi A.T Romano,

1. My version of QuickTime is Version 10.3 (727.4).

2. I am installing the latest premiere elements update from the link you provided.

3. The properties of my source media are DSLR 1920x1080 @30 frames

4. When the first clip is dragged onto the timeline, there is no coloured line over the clip.

GP

• 8. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gold Pirate

Thanks for the reply.

This is what I would like you to try.

Import your video. If the correct project preset, there should be no colored line over its Timeline content before you start to edit. In that state, you cannot render the Timeline to get a better preview. The no colored line over the Timeline content is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview. So, what we are going to do is force the program to let us render the video at the Timeline level.

Right click the Timeline video clip, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, change the Speed % from 100 to 99. Close out of there. You will find a red line over the Timeline content with all its previewing implications. Press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard (or its counterpart in Mac) to render the Timeline content. Is the playback improved, same, or worse?

Is there any possibility that your camera is recording to a variable rather than a constant frame rate?

Have you ever found the duration of the clip to be related to the Timeline playback lags? If the size of the clip has not proven to be a factor in this issue, would it be possible for your to send a small video sample in a Dropbox link in a post in this thread? I will be glad to give it a workout in my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, but it will be on Windows 7 64 bit.

ATR

• 9. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                          Gold Pirate Level 1

A.T Romano,

Apologies for the long wait.

Import your video. If the correct project preset, there should be no colored line over its Timeline content before you start to edit. In that state, you cannot render the Timeline to get a better preview. The no colored line over the Timeline content is the program telling you that you have the best possible preview. So, what we are going to do is force the program to let us render the video at the Timeline level.

Right click the Timeline video clip, select Time Stretch from the pop up menu, and, in the Time Stretch dialog, change the Speed % from 100 to 99. Close out of there. You will find a red line over the Timeline content with all its previewing implications. Press the Enter key of the computer main keyboard (or its counterpart in Mac) to render the Timeline content. Is the playback improved, same, or worse?

The playback is still choppy/laggy after I have changed the timing by a few seconds. But this is for one clip on the timeline. There are multiple clips on the timeline. Just to clarify what the problem is... I don't have a problem with one particular clip on the timeline. It's the whole edit on the timeline that slows down after a couple of seconds.

Is there any possibility that your camera is recording to a variable rather than a constant frame rate?

The exact frame rate is 29.97fps, based on the info on the project settings.

Have you ever found the duration of the clip to be related to the Timeline playback lags? If the size of the clip has not proven to be a factor in this issue, would it be possible for your to send a small video sample in a Dropbox link in a post in this thread? I will be glad to give it a workout in my Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1, but it will be on Windows 7 64 bit.

Like I mentioned earlier, the lag starts to occur at random points in the timeline edit. Not one particular clip. So i can't identify which clip to even send to you.

UPdate: A couple of things I have done since the last post.

1. I have updated the software to Ver 9.0.1.

2. Upgraded the RAM. I'm now running on 2x 8GB of RAM.

Would appreciate the speedy help.

• 10. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gold Pirate

Thanks for the update.

One of my questions was attempting to determine if the total duration of clips on the Timeline has any effect on this random playback issue.

Am I correct in assuming that you are saying that this Timeline playback lag can be seen even with only one 1 minute clip on the Timeline? If not,

how many clips needed on that Timeline when the Timeline content playback starts to lag?

If you start a new project with a different video source or just some jpg photos do you run into this Timeline content playback lag after rendering of that

Timeline content?

Did you understand what I wrote early on about Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 being a 32 bit application when run on 32 or 64 bit computer? Do you use the computer for programs other than Premiere Elements? I asked since you wrote

Upgraded the RAM. I'm now running on 2x 8GB of RAM.

A 32 bit system is typically characterized by maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB and typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that being available. So, why the upgrade to 16 GB of installed RAM?

Just recap time....

1. Optimize the computer with free ccleaner for Mac run through

CCleaner - Download

2. Make sure that there are no pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files. At this time, how much

free hard drive space at the location where the Scratch Disks are directed?

3. Set Playback Quality to highest instead of automatic

4. Make sure video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card

5. If dual monitor system, disconnect one, use only one

6. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file...

Users/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0

7. Export the lagging Timeline content to an appropriate file saved to the computer hard drive. Then determine if the playback of the export

exhibits any lags.

8. Do you run into the problem with and without the antivirus disabled?

8. For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12

from Adobe....If it works for you, then we can target version 9....If it does not work for you, then we can target your computer.

Please review and then let us know if any of the above had any impact at all on the issue.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                              Gold Pirate Level 1

AT Romano,

Please see my actions taken regarding your questions below:

One of my questions was attempting to determine if the total duration of clips on the Timeline has any effect on this random playback issue.

Am I correct in assuming that you are saying that this Timeline playback lag can be seen even with only one 1 minute clip on the Timeline? If not,

how many clips needed on that Timeline when the Timeline content playback starts to lag?

The lag can also be seen with only one 1 minute clip on the timeline.

If you start a new project with a different video source or just some jpg photos do you run into this Timeline content playback lag after rendering of that

Timeline content?

NO, this lag does not occur with a new project with different video source.

Did you understand what I wrote early on about Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 being a 32 bit application when run on 32 or 64 bit computer? Do you use the computer for programs other than Premiere Elements? I asked since you wrote

Upgraded the RAM. I'm now running on 2x 8GB of RAM.

A 32 bit system is typically characterized by maximum supported installed RAM = 4 GB and typically 3.2 to 3.0 or less of that being available. So, why the upgrade to 16 GB of installed RAM?

I guess I didn't quite understand the 32 bit system thing. But i kinda get the idea now. In any case, my computer seems to be running faster than usual even though it didn't solve the elements 9 lagging issue.

Just recap time....

1. Optimize the computer with free ccleaner for Mac run through

CCleaner - Download

Done.

2. Make sure that there are no pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed video files. At this time, how much

free hard drive space at the location where the Scratch Disks are directed?

Done. About 870GB of free HD space. This is an external hard drive.

Did this, but the lagging becomes worse. It freezes longer on certain frames.

4. Make sure video card/graphics card driver is up to date according to web site of manufacturer of the card

According to Manufacturer, graphic cards installed on MacBook Pros are already optimised by Apple during the installation.

5. If dual monitor system, disconnect one, use only one

I am monitoring only from my laptop screen. No external monitors.

6. Delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file...

Users/Libraries/Application Support/Adobe/Premiere Elements/9.0

I cannot seem to find this file.

7. Export the lagging Timeline content to an appropriate file saved to the computer hard drive. Then determine if the playback of the export

exhibits any lags.

After export, there are no lags.

8. Do you run into the problem with and without the antivirus disabled?

I have no antivirus installed. But i did try turning on and off the firewall. With the firewall on, the lag seemed to get worse.

9. For troubleshooting purposes only at this time, download and install the free 30 day tryout of Premiere Elements 12

from Adobe....If it works for you, then we can target version 9....If it does not work for you, then we can target your computer.

There is no Premiere elements 12 available for trial download. Only premiere elements 13. Have downloaded that and copied the project file into elements 13. The lag is still there, but not as bad. But, it is still there.

- Gold Pirate.

• 12. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Gold Pitrate

This is what I have put together based on the information that you supplied.

Your issue would seems to be a preview one and not an editing or export one if it is as you wrote:

Did this, but the lagging becomes worse. It freezes longer on certain frames.

exhibits any lags.

After export, there are no lags.

Since you say that you see the Timeline lag in a Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 or Premiere Elements 13 project on the same computer (Mac 64 bit), that would seem to rule out

a. resources 32 bit versus 64 bit

b. Premiere Elements version

So that puts us back to the Nikon D810 footage (AVCHD.mov - 1920 x 1080 @ 30 progressive frames per second).

a. You have previously said

What was this different video source - new recordings from the same camera or recordings from an entirely different camera. If different camera, which one.

b. Please clarify...if you do nothing but import your Nikon D810 footage into the Timeline (no orange line over its content), do you see the lag for your 1 minute clip? If not, what edits do you apply to the clip to get the lap to result?

c. If we put this altogether for some sort of preview problem....you could look at Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the setting for Timeline render quality (valid for HD projects = High Quality, Slow Speed instead of Draft Quality, High Speed. This type of suggestion was made today by an PRE_help for a user with pixelation in display problems. I am not expecting this to work in your case, but am I curious to see if it just might.

Please review. Everything says you should not be having the issues that you describe, but you are nonetheless. Let us see if any of the above holds the answers for the whys.

ATR

• 13. Re: Why does playback on the timeline lag on my premiere elements 9 project?
                                  Gold Pirate Level 1

AT Romano,

a. You have previously said

What was this different video source - new recordings from the same camera or recordings from an entirely different camera. If different camera, which one.

It was not recordings from another camera. It was an exported video file from another project.  The file settings are as follows:

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 1.53.17 pm.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 1.53.31 pm.png

b. Please clarify...if you do nothing but import your Nikon D810 footage into the Timeline (no orange line over its content), do you see the lag for your 1 minute clip? If not, what edits do you apply to the clip to get the lap to result?

Yes I see the lag when a single footage from the Nikon D810 is imported into the timeline. As a comparison i am also attaching the file settings for the footage from the Nikon D810 below.

Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 2.03.00 pm.png

c. If we put this altogether for some sort of preview problem....you could look at Edit Menu/Preferences/General and the setting for Timeline render quality (valid for HD projects = High Quality, Slow Speed instead of Draft Quality, High Speed. This type of suggestion was made today by an PRE_help for a user with pixelation in display problems. I am not expecting this to work in your case, but am I curious to see if it just might.

I cannot find this setting on my Premiere Elements 9.

Gold Pirate.