10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 10:18 PM by CarlosCanto

Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript

handellwork

Cant seem to figure this one out.

In Adobe CC, I am trying to convert every path item of the current document to CMYK using applecript or javascript.

The equivalent to Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK.

Currently I am using an action but I try to stay away from actions as much as possible.

Does anyone know how this could be done via applecript, javascript or whatever else?

• 1. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
          CarlosCanto Adobe Community Professional & MVP

unfortunately, not everything can be scripted in illustrator...you may not be able to retire your actions for the time being.

• 2. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
            handellwork Level 1

With great disappointment, that is exactly what I have discovered.

So I noticed that the action file is text based .

So what I have done as a long workaround is included the Action in the script.

I then write the action text  to  a file, load the action, run the action & delete the action from  where it was saved.

The only problem I am having is how to unload the action from the actions palette whereas they keep building up after each run.

I tried these commands however they keep erroring.

unload actionv : unloads an action into action palette

unload action

action file path text : Name of the set to be unloaded

action file path text : Name of the action to be unloaded

is there a javascript way?

• 3. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript

Welcome to the wonderful world of Illustrator Scripting...The unload Action function unloads the action but it leaves the action set behind, so in my projects I have no choice but to leave the actions there. Now, to avoid loading multiple instances of the action, I wrap the action in a try...catch statement to Run the action first, if the action does not exist, it raises an error, then I load the action...javascript

• 4. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
                handellwork Level 1

Right, I tried this technique but I could not get the try statement to error.

It just pretend runs the action and mocks me.

SCRIPT:

set isit to false

try

do script actbname from ACTSET -- this makes everything CMYK 

set isit to true

end try

if isit = false then

do javascript "app.loadAction (new File('" & the_file2 & "'));"

do javascript "app.doScript ('" & actbname & "', '" & ACTSET & "');"

end if

RESULT:

do script "Action 1" from "Set 1"

--> current application

• 5. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
                  handellwork Level 1

I was thinking i could have the action create an identifiable path item in the document & if it does not exist then run a subroutine that saves/load/run the action.

• 6. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript

That could work, is there are try...catch in appplescript?

• 7. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
                      handellwork Level 1

yes there is a try in applecript . I did a try catch in the javascript I can't get it to error. its like its running the action that doesn't even exists but its really not.

Im at a loss

• 8. Re: Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript

sorry, I wast talking from memory, I checked and in fact it does not raise an error, but it brings up a dialog showing "the action is not available"

here's a working sample

try {
                                app.doScript ('actionName', 'setName'); // missing action doesn't trigger an error, but it brings up Illustrator warning about action not being available - Click on "Stop" to continue

//app.unloadAction ('setName', 'actionName'); // unloads action but it keeps the set folder, loading actions keep duplicating folder actions
                            }
                            catch (e) {
                                var f = new File('fullpath');
                                app.loadAction (f);
                                app.doScript ('actionName', 'setName');

}

• 9. Re: Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript
                          handellwork Level 1

Right, I tried this method already but it does not show the dialog box in Adobe Illustrator CC v18. only previous versions.

Our group all use different versions.  I may just switch to an installer script thats adds the action to Illustrators "Default_Actions.aia"  file since its text based.

Heres what I'm using now which  is working but I don't like all the hoops it has to jump.

The action simply writes a new doc to a dummy file on a server & the when script doesn't see then dummy file, it writes, loads the action & deletes the dummy file.

Then on the next run, the action will write the dummy file for the script to see & skip the loading of a duplicate action. 

And if I change the action, I simply change the name of the action file & dummy file.

property ACTSET : "Set 1"

property actbname : "Action 1" --- writes teh PTDF file, then run rest of action

property PTDF : POSIX file "/Volumes/artserver/1_ASI/spotcheck.ai" as string

property the_file : PTDF & ACTSET & ".aia" as string

property the_file2 : POSIX path of PTDF & ACTSET & ".aia" as string

property spotcheck : {}

tell application "Adobe Illustrator"

set spotcheck to ""

try

tell application "Finder" to set spotcheck to file PTDF as string

end try

if spotcheck = {} then

my addaction() --- saves action text to temporary items for the load

do javascript "app.loadAction (new File('" & the_file2 & "'));"

tell application "Finder" to move file the_file to trash

end if

tell application "Finder" to move file PTDF to trash

end tell

• 10. Re: Edit/Edit Colors/ Convert to CMYK via applecript

I hear you, I used to get frustrated by the lack of scripting features...then I learned what Illustrator can do and what it can not, I lower my expectations, now I get really happy when I can get anything to work as convoluted as it may be.