7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 5:38 PM by JimHess

DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?

GaryLB99 Level 1

When i go to the folder containing images from D7100, DNG 8.4 does not show any files to be converted even though there are image files (both NEF and JPG) in the folder.

What am I missing?

• 1. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My suspicions are that you are getting caught in the normal "trap" that many new users of the DNG converter face. Notice that the DNG converter is prompting for the folder. Choose the folder only, but don't open it in the DNG converter. Then the converter will convert all of the raw images in that folder.

DNG converter.JPG

• 2. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?
            GaryLB99 Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  I tried what you suggested and it worked.  I also found that the version of NX2 that I have used for years doesn't download a file that DNC can read.  If i access the SD card directly from DNC, the images are converted without a problem.

• 3. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?

That is one of the drawbacks or limitations of using the DNG file format. Proprietary software from other camera makers will not read the DNG format. So you will want do preserve your original NEF files. One other note. If you only want to convert one or two images to DNG, you can drag the files onto the icon for the DNG converter, and it will only convert the files that you have chosen.

• 4. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?
                GaryLB99 Level 1

Are you saying I might want to stop using the transfer function in NX2 to copy files to my computer?  I will start simply copying from the SD card to a folder on my computer (probably continue the same storage format that NX2 uses since I am used to it and convert to DNG format from there.  I appreciate your suggestions.     

• 5. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?

I have never used NX2, but I know that it will not recognize or read DNG files. I also know that older versions of Nikon Transfer would damage NEF files so that Adobe products could not read them. Personally, I feel the best approach is to download directly from the card using whatever software you plan to do your work with. For instance, I downloaded using the Lightroom import facility. There really isn't any need to use Nikon software to download NEF files from a Nikon camera. Just as a side note, I use a couple of older Nikon cameras, and I do not convert to DNG. I find little advantage to converting, and since Lightroom fully supports both of my cameras I find it convenient and acceptable to work with the original NEF files.

• 6. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?
                    GaryLB99 Level 1

My older Nikons don't need conversion to be read by PS, but based on your comments, and since I use NX2 to copy files, I might have a problem someday if I change systems.  Too bad Adobe doesn't provide long term support and maybe Nikon, too.  Thanks.

• 7. Re: DNG 8.4 won't read Nikon D7100 raw files?

Not quite sure what you mean by "long-term support". As far as I have seen, when a camera has been added to the growing list of supported cameras, it remains supported from that time forward. I mean, I'm using a D40 and a D90, and my son in law still has an old D70 that he uses from time to time. The cameras are fully supported by Adobe software. So how do you figure that Adobe doesn't provide long-term support?