4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 5:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Why are my images degraded so much when using this program?

stevenbrein

I shoot with a Sony a99. when I render my projects the quality of my stills and video are greatly diminished. How do I maintain High Def video, and high res. stills.

• 1. Re: Why are my images degraded so much when using this program?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That all depends on your output... what IS your output?

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798 may help

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Why are my images degraded so much when using this program?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

stevenbrein

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

Please describe your computer resources?

Depends on many factors before you get to output but output is included in the need to know mix.

From what I have read of your Sony A99, you are offered

video recordings of

1920 x1080 @ 59.94 or 23.976 frames per second

1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second

640 x 424 @ 29.97 frames per second

Which one are you using? It looks like your recording are AVCHD video compression and AAC audio. What is the file extension?

still image recording of

6000 x 4000 pixels

3936 x 2624 pixels

2640 x 1760 pixels

Which one are you using? And, are these still all raw image format or jpg? Apparently your camera offers both.

What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of your source media whatever they are?

Premiere Elements allows for only 1 project preset, so you need to plan your project setting strategy accordingly...typically making the video specifications the prime consideration.

When you refer to rendering your stills and videos, are you referring to rendering the Timeline content like in rendering to get the best possible preview at playback of the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor or rendering in the sense of exporting your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive?

If you are talking export to file, then what have been your export settings and have you been customizing them under the Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tabs of the preset selected?

You ask

How do I maintain High Def video, and high res. stills

My generalized answer for that pending details of your project would be

a. know the properties of your source media

b. set the project preset to match the properties of your source media

c. select and customize export settings to obtain at least as good as quality in the export as in the import.

d. work with an optimized computer

Easier said than done. But, let us sort through the details to see if we can get you the video product that you seek.

Thanks.

ATR.

• 3. Re: Why are my images degraded so much when using this program?
              stevenbrein Level 1

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know!

Steve B.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: Why are my images degraded so much when using this program?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Steve B.

Thanks for the reply.

We will be watching for further developments in your video editing plans and will customize our reply to

your specific situation.

Best wishes

ATR