10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 3:09 PM by areohbee

Smart previews

stewart1234

I have lr5 on an MacBook Pro and my pictures on an external hd, when I import my pictures as smart previews and make changes. It won't update my original photo on my external hd

• 1. Re: Smart previews
          areohbee Level 5

It's worth understanding how smart previews work:

When you edit a smart preview, the only thing that changes is the catalog - same as if you edited the original. In both cases, the image file is unmodified (barring xmp considerations I mean).

So editing the smart preview is equivalent to editing the original - nothing is or needs to be "updated" or "synchronized".

OK, it's true that lib previews will generally be rebuilt when the original comes back online (and xmp may get saved..)  but otherwise.. - smart previews are just a different (condensed) source of image data - what you are editing (changing) is the catalog, not the photo source files.

PS - Most people want to make sure the original is back online before exporting or printing, if max quality is desired, but even then: no updating or synchronization takes place, just a re-rendering for export, or print.. (same as if they were offline, except a different source of image data).

Rob

• 2. Re: Smart previews
            stewart1234 Level 1

sorry I should have clarified, when I edit my smart previews while the original is offline and reconnect my external hd, my originals on the HD don't have the changes that I made to the smart preview.  It's my understanding that once the original comes online LR should apply the changes automatically, however it's not working for me

• 3. Re: Smart previews
              john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your understanding is right. How are you verifying that your originals don't have those changes - what are you using to look at them?

• 4. Re: Smart previews
                stewart1234 Level 1

I opened the right out of my external HD using the preview

• 5. Re: Smart previews
                  john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You mean Apple Preview? Lightroom doesn't change your originals themselves.

• 6. Re: Smart previews
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

All changes are simply stored in the catalog. Nothing is done to the image file itself. When you reconnect your smart previews the master catalog will be updated, nothing happens to the images.

• 7. Re: Smart previews
                      stewart1234 Level 1

Oh really! I thought it did. So how do I edit the originals. I thought the changes made to the smart previews would change the originals once they came online.

• 8. Re: Smart previews
                        JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Again, Lightroom doesn't change the original images. If you want "finished" copies to share with others, it is necessary to export those copies. Your original files remain untouched.

• 9. Re: Smart previews
                          stewart1234 Level 1

Ok I understand now, thanks for the help!

• 10. Re: Smart previews
                            areohbee Level 5

JimHess wrote:

When you reconnect your "smart previews" (I think Jim meant "originals") the master catalog will be updated.

Actually, the catalog does NOT need to be updated when you reconnect the originals.

To be clear: editing a smart preview is exactly equal to editing the original (changes to catalog are indistinguishable), except what you see in Lightroom will be reduced resolution and quality (as will be the exported file, if you export before original is back online). As has been said: in neither case are original image files modified - you have to export for rendered copies, whether you're editing originals or smart previews.

@Jim: Sorry if you already knew all that, but it seems what you said (wrote) was misleading.

The one thing that is different when editing originals vs. smart previews is that you can't save (xmp) metadata unless original is online, and if xmp is embedded in original, then the original image files will be modified (metadata only) when the originals come back online, as soon as xmp metadata is saved.

@stewart1234: I realize this info may be a little much to assimilate at this point, but you can bookmark and return to re-read later (e.g. after you become familiar with xmp metadata..).

Rob