11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2014 9:46 PM by ÖÖ.

You are running on a very low diskspace

ÖÖ. Level 1

I'm trying to render my 1 hour holiday video to 1080p30 mp4 file but I keep getting this error message saying: "Adobe Media Encoder, You are running on a very low diskspace. Please free some disk space and try again."

First time I had about 15 GB free space on the target / cache drive. This message came just before rendered percentage hit 100 %. It had been rendering for about 2 hours before the message. After the message I looked at the drive and it still had 15 GB free.

I freed 15 GB more and now the target / cache drive has 30 GB free. I still get the same message after 2 h rendering. On the publish + share section it shows "File size: 16021.11 MB" and on the advanced tab it says "Estimated file size: 2277 MB"

How much free space do you need to render 1 h of 1080p30 video? Or is the application using some other drive to do something? All Scratchdisk / cache setting point to correct drive.

I have Windows 8 and Premiere elements 12.

• 1. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
          A.T. Romano Level 7

oo

Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. Is that correct? Or is that Windows 8 32 bit?

How much installed and available RAM does your computer have?

How much free hard drive space does your computer have? Is your Local Disk C the only source of your free hard drive space? Is a SSD in the mix?

Please describe fully your drive situation and free space associated with each drive. What is the format of each drive - NTFS or FAT32 or other?

Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks

a. To what specific location is each of the categories pointed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

What are the properties of this 1080p30 source video?

Let us start here to get a baseline for the troubleshooting.

ATR

• 2. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
            ÖÖ. Level 1

Windows 8 64-bit

Installed 12 GB DDR3. Before launching premiere available memory was 10,4 GB.

Free space before starting rendering. C: 16 GB (SSD), E: 25 GB, G: 30 GB, X: 800 GB (network), Y: 250 GB (network), Z: 450 GB (network) and external drive 1,8 TB,

C, E, G and external are NTFS. X,Y,Z are ext3 or ext4

99 % of source material is in drive E. Few stills are from drive X.

All scratchdisk and cache settings point to G:\adobecache\. Target for rendering is G:\Videos\.

Source files are from different cameras 8 - 16 Megapixels stills and 720p30, 1080p30, 4K 30fps video files.

I freed more space on drive G. Now it had 70 GB free before starting to render. When I get back from work I can see if it helped.

• 3. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
              ÖÖ. Level 1

Okay, it seems that 70 GB was enough. Now the rendering process went trough.

• 4. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                A.T. Romano Level 7

oo

Thanks for the update with the good news that you freed up enough hard drive space to accomplish the task.

Please re-evaluate your computer's free hard drive space situation and consider establishing drive(s) with greater capacity/free space.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 5. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                  ÖÖ. Level 1

Yes thanks. I'll try to free some more space.

However it would be better sw design if it could tell the user how much space it needs or at least give warning before the 2 hour wait.

Well my problems didn't end there. Now I'm trying to generate AVCHD folder but after the encoding it gives me fatal error at 3 %. I have tried 3 times all ready but same thing every time. I'm using the 8.5 GB and fit to destination settings.

• 6. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

oo

Thanks for the update.

You seem to be making greater and greater computer resource demands by the nature of your projects, but what have you done to improve your computer resource situation which is running into problems with your choice for hard drive save location.

With regard to the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD and Folder (8.5 GB), where is the Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Encoded Files pointed to and how much space is at that location?

Just before you do the burn to folder, what does the Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate?

ATR

• 7. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                      ÖÖ. Level 1

All scratchdisck / cache paths point to the drive with 70 GB free space.

Space required 7,95 GB (13.77Mbps)

Now after the 4 th try. It stopped to fatal error in same place. 3 % on the burning. But now it it has used about 8 GB of my hard drive, target folder is still empty.

• 8. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                        ÖÖ. Level 1

Now I tried to burn it to actual disc. Not to a folder. Process went to 98 % and then fatal error.

• 9. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                          ÖÖ. Level 1

I was able to do a DVD but AVCHD still fails.

I should have bought Sony Vegas like I originally planned. =(

• 10. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

oo

Have you nowhere else but the drive with the 70 GB of free hard drive space to use for these exports?

Were you aware of the specifications on these DVD discs....

8.5 GB (240 minutes) in reality is 7.95 GB.

4.7 GB (120 minutes) in reality is 4.38 GB.

For Blu-ray

25 GB in reality is about 23 GB.

If necessary, I will go into details of the Space Required and Bitrate readings with and without a check mark next to these readings.

Given you are pointing everything to the drive with the 70 GB free space. What happens if you make a copy of your project (File Menu/Save A Copy) and use that copy to experiment to find out how much you need to cut down the project to get it to go to burn to DVD disc/folder and burn to AVCHD disc/folder.

I will think about this some more. Looking forward to more information regarding the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: You are running on a very low diskspace
                              ÖÖ. Level 1

I can make free space somewhere but how much. This APE gives no indication how much is needed during the rendering.

Burning standard DVD worked fine without any problems. I used normal singe layer DVD+RW disc and checked the "fit to target" box.

Rendering my movie to a file using AVCHD, mp4, 1080p30 settings work ok.

If I try to burn AVCHD to DVD+DL the burning process stops to fatal error at 98 %. If I change destination to 8.5GB folder, process stops to fatal error at 3 %. Fit to target box checked.