15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 4:13 PM by station_two

How to enlarge TIFFs

Cory Tracy

I have done alot of processing on NEF files. I have importred said NEF files into Photoshop converted them into TIFFs and done all processing on them(hours and hours of work). I want to enlarge them all a lot. Did I have to do the enlarging when the file was an NEF then do all my adjustments? Or can I enlarge my TIFF images to whatever size I want now with out losing any quality of the image? If so how would I go about doing this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
          Level 5

You can elarge the NEFs in ADobe Camera Raw, or you can enlarge the TIFFs in Photoshop.

Of course you will lose image quality.  When you enlarge you are making up pixels, inventing pixels that are not there.

Raw NEF files can be pretty large already, what is your purpose in enlarging them?

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand, such as your platform (Mac or Win), exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop and of Bridge, machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, video card specs, what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far, what error message(s) you receive, if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them, etc., someone may be able to help you.

A screen shot could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
            Cory Tracy Level 1

The RAW NEF files are roughly 4280 x 2848 pixels or 14.267 x 9.493 inches. The TIFFs or finished product needs to be at the very least 12x12 inches for calendars. But I also may need to make them much larger than that. Should I have made the image larger as a NEF in camera raw before I did anything? I need to resize one image in many differnt ways i.e. 7x7, 12x9, 12x12, and much larger prints maybe triple the size of the original. What is the best way to enlarge the TIFF without loosing detail? If all else fails and I should have resized the RAW image right out of the gate how do you make the RAW larger in camera raw?

• 3. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
              Level 5

cory tracy wrote:

…What is the best way to enlarge the TIFF without loosing detail?…

Strictly speaking, there is none.  Whether you can live with the loss is a subjective thing.  There's no way on Earth you can re-size by 300% without a visible loss in image quality.

The best upsampling algorithm in Photoshop is Bicubic Smoother.  I find that even better than the old Genuine Fractals, now Perfect Resize by onOne Software, but opinions vary.  There's also Blow Up by Alien Skin, which some prefer..

A 4280 x 2848 pixels image at 360 ppi will yield a 11.89" x 7.9" print.  Obviously you're going to have to crop one side of your images if you want square prints.

Remember that the larger the print, the smaller ppi resolution you need, as those large prints are viewed at a much greater distance than an 8 x 10.

Many users find that enlarging in Camera Raw provides the best results.

You set that in Camera Raw's Workflow Options, the "button" that looks like a link right under the ACR Preview dialog box.

You can open and resize a non-layered TIFF non-destructively in Camera Raw as well.  Just enable TIFF Support in ACR Preferences.

• 4. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                Farrellart Level 3

I am not sure you can enlarge without the pixel information. In the past I have use Genuine Fractals, it's ok but not as sharp as I would like.

I had a project last year with up-scaled images that went to print ( about 30% bigger )....I used .tiff which were blurry on screen ( when up-scaled ) but I saved as .PDF highest setting for printing, the end result was pretty sharp to my surprise. Worth a shot - the original images were professionally shot though at 35mp.

• 5. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                  Level 5

cory tracy wrote:

…I have importred said NEF files into Photoshop converted them into TIFFs…

No you have not.    You dont "import" anything "into" Photoshop ever.  You open image files with Photoshop to edit them.  They remain right where you put them initially, no "importing" of anything is taking place.

Additionally, neither Photoshop nor Bridge can open NEF files or any other raw fiile. 
                  Photoshop and/or Bridge can host Adobe Camera Raw, which is what opens your raw file, converts it (demosaic's it) and hands it over to Photoshop for display, editing and saving.

• 6. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                    Level 5

Farrellart wrote:

…I had a project last year with up-scaled images that went to print ( about 30% bigger )…

Sure, 30% is eminently doable.  300% (triple the size) is a whole different story. 

• 7. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                      Cory Tracy Level 1

So would you recomend enlarging the file to the largest I would ever use in camer raw before even beginning the processing of the image?

• 8. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                        Farrellart Level 3

Point taken station_two......the thing that interested me was the blurry issues on screen and sharp print which I was not expecting.

Cory, I was advised by my pro photographer to always use the highest RAW MP setting via Photoshop RAW....big files but it seems worth it. This is just my experience.

• 9. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                          Level 5

So would you recomend enlarging the file to the largest I would ever use in camer raw before even beginning the processing of the image?

I never said that, please don't put (nonsensical) words in my mouth.

Every target file dictates how you go about processing the original.

Any re-sampling in Adobe Camera Raw is non-destructive, as are all adjudstments you perform to the raw file.  That means that the original file always remains untouched, all adjustments and all re-sampling is saved only as metadata, in the sidecar file.

There's no need to up-sample more than what you need for every output file you require.  If you use snapshots in Camera Raw, you can keep the adjustments and re-sampling separate and re-purpose the original files as needed.

What you may consider is getting a better camera with larger resolution.  I'm not a pro photographer, yet one of my cameras outputs native 7264 pixels x 5440 pixels raw files and/or DNGs right out of the camera.  Surely you can do better than what you have if you have need for large prints.

• 10. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                            Level 5

Farrellart wrote:

…the thing that interested me was the blurry issues on screen and sharp print which I was not expecting…

Are you sure that the blurriness was not only in the preview?  That would have to do with your settings in Bridge and ACR.

• 11. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                              Level 5

station_two wrote:

…one of my cameras outputs native 7264 pixels x 5440 pixels raw files and/or DNGs right out of the camera…

That's 40 Megapixels, without any re-sampling.  Your files are barely over 12 megapixels. 

• 12. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                                Farrellart Level 3

100% image in Photoshop was blurred..I was concerned but it turned out good..phew on that one!!!!

With regards to other comments I think it depends on the RAW settings of the camera....It's late here  so the brain is zzzzzz...just try to find the best way to reproduce your work.

Best wishes

• 13. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                                  Cory Tracy Level 1

Simply asking for your recommendation don't use that (nonsensical) tone with me. Thank you for help! Much appreciated.

• 14. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                                    Level 5

Don't put nonsensical words in my mouth and I promise you wont get any tone with me.

On the other hand use that kind of phrasing again, and you'll get more than "tone" from me, you uncouth ingrate!  

Some people…

• 15. Re: How to enlarge TIFFs
                                      Level 5

Hiding [blocking] this thread from my sight.