7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 12:59 PM by rob day

Changing document size with document setup

TinaKap

I've started a document and change the size with document setup. But it puts the additional space at top and bottom. Is there a way to add it just to the bottom of the document?

• 1. Re: Changing document size with document setup
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Not with Document setup, as far as I know. Resizing the master page using the Page tool before changing document setup might work, though. Try it on a copy.

• 2. Re: Changing document size with document setup
            TinaKap Level 1

Thanks, Peter. I will give it a try.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 7:07 PM, Peter Spier <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Changing document size with document setup
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If Liquid Layout >Enable Layout Adjustment is turned Off and all of the pages, master pages, master page items, and page items have their Liquid Layout rule set to Obect-based with Top and Left checked everything will stay in the upper left on a page resize.

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 12.52.42 PM.png

Obviously that would be some work for an existing document, but it can be scripted. If you are using OSX, try this AppleScript before changing the doc size. Test on a copy

tell application "Adobe InDesign CS6"

--make sure enable layout adj is off

set enable layout adjustment of layout adjustment preferences to false

--make sure all of the page rules are set to object-based

set layout rule of every page of active document to object based

set layout rule of every page of every master spread of active document to object based

--set all of the master page items to upper left

repeat with x in every page item of every master spread of active document

set horizontal layout constraints of x to {fixed dimension, fixed dimension, flexible dimension}

set vertical layout constraints of x to {fixed dimension, fixed dimension, flexible dimension}

end repeat

--set all of the page itms to upper left

set horizontal layout constraints of every page item of active document to {fixed dimension, fixed dimension, flexible dimension}

set vertical layout constraints of every page item of active document to {fixed dimension, fixed dimension, flexible dimension}

end tell

• 4. Re: Changing document size with document setup
                TinaKap Level 1

Thank you, Rob. I'm using Windows 8 at work and 7 at home.

• 5. Re: Changing document size with document setup

Then Peter's suggestion seems to work.

With the Pages tool selected, select both pages of the master in the Pages panel, set the Transform panel to upper left and change the page dimension:

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 2.48.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 2.48.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-05 at 2.52.04 PM.png

• 6. Re: Changing document size with document setup
                    TinaKap Level 1

Hi Rob:

Are you saying that your method, independent of Peter's suggestion should

work. I tried it and the options are grayed out unless I click on something

in my document. In that case, it applies the transformation that whatever

is selected on the page, not the actual document.

• 7. Re: Changing document size with document setup

Peter's method works better if you can't run the script. In fact if there were many masters, it probably would be better to script the master page transforms rather than each page item.

To manually do what my script is doing you would have to select each spread in the document one at a time then select all the page items on the spread. With Peter's suggestion you only have to change the doc's master pages. You are transforming the pages not the objects.