11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 12:21 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem with recording in Premiere Elements

MadameLaNoire

I've got a weird problem with creating narration in Premiere Elements. When I say something, after about a second I can hear it, repeated. It's driving me crazy! Have you ever experienced such a thing?

• 1. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

madamelanoire

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

After you hit the stop recording on the Narration Tool dialog and the narration clip is automatically placed on the Narration Track, how does that Narration Track clip play back when you press the Play button on the Edit area monitor, with or without problems?

What type of microphone are you using to record the narration with the Narration Tool?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next?

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
            MadameLaNoire Level 1

It's Premiere Elements 12, on Windows. After finishing recording it plays ok, without any echo. I'm using an analog microphone. Can you help me with that?

• 3. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

MadameLaNoire

Thanks for the reply and details.

Please excuse the questions, but I do not want to take anything for granted.

In the Narration Dialog do you have a check mark next to "Mute Audio While Recording"?

If not, please place a check mark there and determine if that resolves the echo effect that you are running into

while you are recording narration with the Premiere Elements 12 Narration Tool.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                MadameLaNoire Level 1

A.T. Romano

Thanks for trying to help me. Yes, there's no problem with the recording after I mute the audio, but there is another thing. To make the narration properly I have to hear the sound in the movie. So I see there's no possibility that I can hear it but not my voice while recording?

• 5. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MadeameLaNoire

I need for you to take another look at the situation.

Computer speakers on and speaker volume control adjusted to level where you can hear sound when present.

1. You open the Narration Dialog and remove the check mark from the "Mute Audio While Recording" option.

2. Hit the Start Narration Button of the Narration Dialog...there is a preroll effect (looks like about 3 seconds) before the actual start of the recording.

3. When the Narration dialog get finished with the preroll and starts recording at 0, hit the spacebar of the computer main keyboard to begin the play back of

your Timeline so that you can hear the movie's sound and your voice (no echo).

4. Click the Narration dialog's Stop Narration Button when done. At that point, your narration clip is automatically place on the

Timeline at the position that the Timeline Indicator was at the start of the narration.

Have you worked with the Audio Mixer and Audio Mix features of the program which will allow you to balance sounds on different tracks?

Please review and consider. There should be no echo in the above approach, and it would seem to meet your criteria.

Please let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                    MadameLaNoire Level 1

Thanks, but this doesn't help at all. After hitting spacebar I get the same problem as in the beginning. Can you tell me why does the program make the freshly recorded sound be heard in my headphones a second later? Is that used for something or is it just some error that only my version has?

• 7. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

MadameLaNoire

Thanks for the reply.

Referring to what your latest reply

Thanks, but this doesn't help at all. After hitting spacebar I get the same problem as in the beginning. Can you tell me why does the program make the freshly recorded sound be heard in my headphones a second later? Is that used for something or is it just some error that only my version has?

I did  not understand your reply in context with what you had written previously

Yes, there's no problem with the recording after I mute the audio, but there is another thing. To make the narration properly I have to hear the sound in the movie. So I see there's no possibility that I can hear it but not my voice while recording?

Are you now having problems with the play back of the recorded narration and not the recording of it?

Recap.....

I cannot confirm the issue you are describing after the Mute... option is selected in the Narration Tool dialog. I am using Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, and I have run through what you described using a variety of scenarios. I am using a non USB desktop microphone that plugs into a computer jack.

Do you have the opportunity to use other non USB headphones or desktop microphone. Classically and typically USB microphones do not

work with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool (a variety of description for "does not work").

Also, if you use the same headphones to create the narration in a free audio editor such as Audacity, do you have the same problem (echo)

there as with Premiere Elements Narration Tool? I realize you will not have the video's audio background, but you should be able to determine echo or no echo when using your headphones.

But, it is important to the troubleshooting to confirm if you are now in a situation where the problem is narration recording or narration playback.

We could try deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, but...

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 12.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 12.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete cited.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                        MadameLaNoire Level 1

Sorry for causing the misunderstanding. My problem is with the making of the recording, not playing it. After saying something I hear it repeated in my headphones, when audio is not muted, no matter if I just unmark the "mute audio" option or do as you earlier said. It's not about the microphone, I checked it. So the only option for me is to delete Premiere Elements?

• 9. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

MadamelLaNoire

Thanks for the reply.

I have been working on your issue most of the day. Most of my troubleshooting is done on Windows Professional SP1 64 bit. I do have other computers with XP 32 bit and 8.1 64 bit but use them only occasionally. As I have said, I have not been able to reproduce your problem with many versions of Premiere Elements on Windows 7 Professional SP1 64 bit.

However, when I went to Windows 8.1 64 bit, I had major problems with Premiere Elements (12, 11, and 10) Narration Tool and its narrations using routine same to that used for programs on Premiere Elements on Windows 7 64 bit. I do not recall that you have answered my question on what Windows computer operating system you are running your Premiere Elements 12/12.1.

This Windows 8.1 64 bit has built in microphone and the noises coming from Premiere Elements narration are weird when using this built in microphone. Yet when record sound with the Sound Record feature of that came with the computer operating system, the sound is fine. Nonetheless, I have adjusted extensively the microphone in Control Panel/Sound.

At this time, the only way that I can use the Premiere Elements 12/12.1 Narration Tool successful in the system described is to take the Narration Tool dialog's mic sensitivity to the lowest possible set (slider all the way to the left) and uncheck the "mute while recording" option. Then the problems are essentially gone.

Ironically, the program says to use headphones for best results. I do not have headphones, but you do. Have you read

"For best results, use headphones and uncheck mute. To reduce feedback while recording lower Input Volume slider." Have you been lower Input Volume slider?

Input Volume slider is probably a through back to the slider that existed in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 11 and now is represented by what is labelled "mic sensitivity".

Please consider the "mic sensitivity" adjust suggested and see if that makes the Premiere Elements 12 Narration Tool workable for you in your computer environment.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If you continue with the program, please update 12 to 12.1 Update if you have not already, using an opened project's Help Menu/Update.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

• 10. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                            MadameLaNoire Level 1

Thank you so much! The idea that I should record with the least mic's sensitivity was brilliant. I no longer hear anything repeated and the narration is just ok when I play it later.

• 11. Re: Problem with recording in Premiere Elements
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

MadameLaNoire

Great, great news. Great job with staying with the troubleshooting.

But, I need to thank you for nudging me into looking deeper into your issue and not being content with "I cannot confirm your results."

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks again for the follow ups that led to a successful problem resolution..

ATR