8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2014 8:47 AM by A.T. Romano

High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD

adobenewbie123 Level 1

I am currently using Premiere Elements 10. My current project settings are 720p 60.  Although I  am finally comfortable burning both dvd's and blu-rays in Premiere, this latest festival I would like to enter requires a Quicktime .mov file on dvd. I followed up with them as to why I can't just burn a traditional disk to play in a dvd player and they said that their procedure is to watch the movie from a Mac, projected onto a bg screen tv.  So my question is.... can I do this in Premiere Elements?? So even though it is on a dvd, can I still retain the 720p resolution?  (it is just a short, only 10 minutes long and thus , within the storage space of a traditional dvd.  It sounds like I need to make the equivalent of a data cd but put it on a dvd? Do  I need to export a .mov file from Elements as a next step??

• 1. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Export whatever kind and specification file the user wants and write the FILE as data to a CD or DVD... without authoring a traditional DVD... to play on a computer

• 2. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks  for the speedy reply, John.  However, I do not see ..mov as an option in the share section of Elements.  Is it even possible to export to such a format in Adobe?

• 3. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
              A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Premiere Elements 10 and any version Premiere Elements does not offer a burn to data disc feature. And if you burn a 720p60 Timeline to disc in Premiere Elements, you do so to a prescribed format which is not 720p60 for any of the DVD, AVCHD, or Blu-ray choices.

Export your 720p60 Timeline to 720p60 as AVCHD.mp4 using Share/Computer/AVCHD with the MP4 HD720p60 preset.

Burn that as data disc to DVD disc with software that came with your burner. Or transfer the file to a USB Flash Drive.

Make sure you get information on the projector that those Mac people are using to determine how it will present your 720p60 video.

Mac should be able to handle .mp4 as well as .mov. If you are forced into a file with a .mov file extension, then export your

Premiere Elements 10 Timeline Share/Computer/QuickTime with presets NTSC DV 16:9 and customize the settings to 720p60 under

the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset

H.264

59.94 frames per second

Progressive

Square Pixels (1.0)

Adjust the bitrate to about 12000 kbps (kilobits per second). Balance bitrate with file size.

Please review the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
                A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I just posted my reply when I saw the exchange of posts between you and John.

Have you never exported a QuickTime movie in Premiere Elements 10 (Share/Computer/QuickTime)?

If that is the case, then catch up time....

a. Make sure you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10

b. Go To Share/Computer/ and scroll down the list of choices using the thin scroll bar to the right of the choices.

If you cannot find it, I will post a screenshot. If you do not scroll down that list, all you will see is

Adobe Flash Video

MPEG

AVCHD

Please let us know if you are OK with the above information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks ATR.  I never would have reaized there was a high definition option for .mov but I am going to check and see if i can utilize a .mp4 instead.

My burner is the d drive of one of my computers and I do not ave any software.  Is there anything I can download online to make a data dvd?

• 6. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I have something for you to try to get that data disc created

1. Open Elements Organizer 10. Import your 720p60 H.264.mov into the Elements Organizer. Highlight/select the file.

2. File Menu/"Copy/Move to Removable Drive". No check offs on the first Step.

3. Select your burner, insert your DVD disc into the burner try. The burn to will be done with Adobe's "Disc Creation by Sonic Solutions".

Let it verify.

4. Check the content that was burn to disc as data disc.

Or download and install the free ImgBurn

http://www.imgburn.com/

We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

Add On...I have tried both and each work, maybe give the edge to ImgBurn for future and current use.

Should look into USB Flash Drive with enough capacity to permit for the export the Premiere Elements export to it.

• 7. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
                      adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks ATR.  Worked like a charm!!

• 8. Re: High Resolution Quicktime .MOV files on DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the update with the great news.

Which did you use, Elements Organizer way or ImgBurn way?

Best wishes

ATR