3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2014 9:20 PM by Jao vdL

How to export raw pictures to jpeg without losing the original colors?

Abdulrhman Mohsen

Hello guys,

Actually I'm facing a problem
      which is I took photos in Raw Format
      but unfortunately when I import it to LR

it lose its colors

and here is a video for my problem

LR's problem - YouTube

And now I want a solution
      so I can convert it to jpeg
      without losing its original colors.
      Thank you all in advance

• 1. Re: How to export raw pictures to jpeg without losing the original colors?
          areohbee Level 5

First - if you could use left alignment in your posts it will be easier to read.

The first image Lr shows you is the camera-created jpeg which is embedded in the raw file.

The second is a re-rendering of the raw based on Lr default settings.

Those two will never be the same, but you can get closer if you:

* Choose a camera matching profile as default, and either:

* turn "auto-contrast-compensation" off in camera, or

* boost exposure and stuff in Lightroom.

Have fun.

R

• 2. Re: How to export raw pictures to jpeg without losing the original colors?
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You ask a variation of the age-old question:  “Why did LR ruin my photos?”  It’s because the initial view is what your camera does for its JPG preview that is embedded in each raw photo based on your camera’s settings and the LR interpretation that loads after a second or two, is the raw data interpreted with the Adobe defaults.

I would guess that your camera is “fixing” the shots somehow, and LR, not knowing what your camera is doing, is just rendering the shots from the raw data as it exists without fixing anything.

Do you know if the camera was in some special mode that fixes things automatically before creating the JPG?

If you

• 3. Re: How to export raw pictures to jpeg without losing the original colors?
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Love the question posed in haiku-like verse ;-)

Anyway as Rob mentions, the solution is using a camera matching profile and to turn off all pseudo-HDR modes in your camera (highlight priority, ADL, etc. etc.). They all mess with the raw file in a way (usually it just underexposes the image by 1/2 to 1 stop) that is not easily automatically interpreted by Lightroom.