18 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2007 8:49 AM by Chunick

New version of Director

kkeyan

Hi guys,
      Any one know about new version of director, if yes, have any idea of release date.

Thank you,
      k.karthikeyan
        • 1. New version of Director
          Chunick Level 3
          doing a bit of searching on this forum (or even Adobe's site) should easily find you the answer. The circuitous answer is because this has just recently been asked and answered several times so please take the time to read through the previous posts.
          • 2. Re: New version of Director
            Level 7
            This question has been asked quite a few times recently. But just so it's clear,
            here's the answer.

The Director FAQ is up to date.
            http://www.adobe.com/products/director/special/crossproduct/faq.html
            The next version of Director is scehduled for release in the second half of
            this year.

I have spoken to Adobe people recently in relation to the launch of CS3. In
            the context of this release, there will be some updated Director information
            communicated to the public. I will post again shortly on this.

regards
            Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
            email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 3. Re: New version of Director
              Aquilonian Level 1
              It will have suport for flash sprites with actionscript3 ?
              • 4. Re: New version of Director
                Level 7
                Aquilonian wrote:

> It will have suport for flash sprites with actionscript3 ?

The FAQ page does give some hints about the features for the next
                Director. It does not say anything about the support for Flash CS3
                stuff. But, we can only guess that the Flash Asset Xtra update will be
                part of the Adobe Director development process.

regards
                Dean

• 5. Re: New version of Director
                  Level 7
                  I'll believe Adobe's word on their update of Director when I see even
                  the slightest bit of support from them on Director. Sure their faq says
                  it'll be the second half of '07, but that just got scooted back from the
                  first half.

I really don't believe they have any intention of creating an update.
                  If they did, someone who works there should've visited the forum by now
                  and seen that we want to know what features it'll have, if it will ever
                  have any hope of running 3D on a Vista machine. . .

Hate to say it, but I think they've kissed Director good bye. Too bad.
                  There's not another program out there that can do everything it can so
                  well.
                  • 6. Re: New version of Director
                    OlandoCR
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                    . . .

Hate to say it, but I think they've kissed Director good bye. Too bad.
                    There's not another program out there that can do everything it can so
                    well.

I share your feeling abut Director's future that is why I decided to take a look to other applications. If you are looking for strong 3D capabilities check DX Studio: http://www.dxstudio.com/

It uses JavaScript.

• 7. Re: New version of Director
                      Aquilonian Level 1
                      Director also uses JavaScript.
                      Shockwave player is more widespread then any other 3d plugin, it would be a very dumb decision to kill Director
                      • 8. Re: New version of Director
                        Level 7
                        Aquilonian wrote:
                        > Director also uses JavaScript.
                        > Shockwave player is more widespread then any other 3d plugin, it
                        > would be a very dumb decision to kill Director

Especially with MS Silverlight just around the corner...

Andrew

• 9. Re: New version of Director
                          Level 7

OlandoCR wrote:

>
                          quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          > . . .
                          >
                          > Hate to say it, but I think they've kissed Director good bye. Too bad.
                          > There's not another program out there that can do everything it can so
                          > well.
                          >

> I share your feeling abut Director's future ....
                          >
                          Hi World One and Orlando,

I can understand your feelings of needing to see it to believe it. All I can tell
                          you is that with my communications with people at Adobe, I have seen a strong
                          commitment to releasing a new version of Director.

Last year, I put together a survey looking at what features the community wants for
                          the next Director. It can be seen at:
                          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/survey/games/
                          I had close discussions with people at Adobe and they were very appreciative and
                          interested in the information I gathered.

So, I strongly believe Adobe is listening and is developing an understanding of
                          what the community wants. This does not mean that the next version will deliver on
                          all of these features requests. Adobe inherited a product that was seriously
                          neglected by Macromedia. Adobe not only have to deal with old technology and badly
                          maintained code but have to provide support for 2 new Operating Systems. So, they
                          have a lot of work ahead to bring Director up to date.

I have spoken to Adobe people recently about updated info being provided to the
                          public. I will check on this again and see if anything official can be released
                          here.

regards
                          Dean

• 10. Re: New version of Director
                            Level 7
                            I hope you're right!
                            • 11. Re: New version of Director
                              Doc Raman Level 1
                              Adobe has shown that Director is still around at two recent conferences. They were there for the Games Developer Conference a month or two ago and several of the engineers working on Director met with a few people that blog about Director. Adobe also was at the eLearning Guild 2007 Conference last week in Boston and presented a talk about Director.

At the conference last week they said an updated version of Shockwave will get released later this month for Vista (don't know the details of what will be in it).

As Dean said, trying to update Director for two new systems is a big challenge.
                              • 12. Re: New version of Director
                                Jamaux
                                Just in case you guys working on Director are looking through the forum, just wanted to say keep at it guys. Thanks for working on bringing DMX to new heights. I've been working in lingo for over 10yrs now, and having the ability to use 3rd party xtras and flash(xtra is a bit buggy though) enables me to do almost anything for PC & Mac that I can think of/my clients want. Great program. I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing what you've been up to. Are you going to be showcasing any developments anytime soon?
                                • 13. Re: New version of Director
                                  Aquilonian Level 1
                                  >Especially with MS Silverlight just around the corner...

As far as i know, SilverLight is target to aplications, it is a competitor for flash,but its like a flash 4, just moving some bitmaps on the screen, without AS3 speed or the power to edit and apply filters to Bitmaps

• 14. Re: New version of Director
                                    Level 7
                                    I would like to "second" that.

"Jamaux" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                    news:f0d4n8$kq0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > Just in case you guys working on Director are looking through the forum,
                                    > just
                                    > wanted to say keep at it guys. Thanks for working on bringing DMX to new
                                    > heights. I've been working in lingo for over 10yrs now, and having the
                                    > ability
                                    > to use 3rd party xtras and flash(xtra is a bit buggy though) enables me to
                                    > do
                                    > almost anything for PC & Mac that I can think of/my clients want. Great
                                    > program. I'm sure we're all looking forward to hearing what you've been up
                                    > to.
                                    > Are you going to be showcasing any developments anytime soon?
                                    >

• 15. Re: New version of Director
                                      Level 7

Dean Utian wrote:

> I have spoken to Adobe people recently about updated info being provided to the
                                      > public. I will check on this again and see if anything official can be released
                                      > here.
                                      >

Hi again,

I said I'd see if any Adobe person can release some official updated info here. I have
                                      encouraged Adobe Director staff to do so. I was under the impression it would be coming
                                      soon, but haven't had anything confirmed at this point. Will post (maybe under a new
                                      thread) if anything new comes my way.

regards
                                      Dean

• 16. Re: New version of Director
                                        thismarty Level 1
                                        Clearly, the post-Tom Higgins Director team places a much lower priority on communicating with the developer community.
                                        • 17. Re: New version of Director
                                          jasonrd
                                          Me personally, i do love Macromedias products (I use Dreamweaver, Captivate and Fireworks mostly), but i personally dont like the lack of new features per new version attitude. Each version rarely brings any substantial new features or moving the product forward (Im sure i will get slammed for saying that but hey thats my right to say that as a user ;). I have to admit I'm not a great fan of flash either, which I guess puts me at odds with the direction of adobe...lol.

Ive never found Director that easy to use, and thats its biggest fall down. There are much easier products out there (I am a big supporter of one particular product), but of course i wont mention it as thats no fair as this is a Adobe site, but even with a tiny development team, its the people and their ideas that make a product, and it seems to me sometimes the big companies lack the visionaries.

Jason

Multimedia Development Book
                                          Make Amazing Games Book
                                          • 18. Re: New version of Director
                                            Chunick Level 3
                                            Jason,

Would be interested in your experiences with other software products that function similarly to Director.... maybe you can sign up to and post on the director-online.com forum... I'm over there too and nobody will mind opinions on other software contrary to Adobe products.