11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2014 7:00 AM by Peter Spier

Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

raghugada

Hi,

I want to move from pagemaker to Indesign CS6, but i am having issues with opening pagemaker files indesign for devnagri fonts

1. Able to open the pagemaker file but its not detecting font, its displaying garbage

2. I could have used the find font and replace with required one but unfortunately the file contains more than one font, we use different font for Main heading, subheading, body etc

3. I have lot of the older files to move up and not the just one file, each file contains lot of pages

I am attaching a sample pagemaker file and fonts which will help you to diagnose the issue

Upload the file from the link provided below

http://www.filedropper.com/pagemakerfonts

• 1. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Maybe that the font type is no longer supported with your more modern OS. (Which OS it is? What kind of Font is it?)

Are you able to buy this Font as OTF font? You should do so, and redefine all Paragraph and Character Styles with that new font.

• 2. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

Have you installed the version of InDesign which is supporting your language and fonts? I guess it is somehow an Indic version? InDesign has specific language versions for the different language styles like Western, ME, Asian, Indic, etc. In the creative cloud you can choose between the different versions.

You will have to convert the PM files in CS6, but move on to the CC2014 versions which are including more language specific versions.

• 3. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are the fonts in question installed on your system? Do they work in a new InDesign document? Do you have the World Ready composer turned on?

• 4. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
                raghugada Level 1

Hi,

I am having issues moving from pagemaker to indesign cs6

1. I am using windows xp operating system, Devnagri fonts, Fonts are installed

2. The Pagemaker file is opening in the indesign cs6 but the fonts are not detected, but the same font is detected in pagemaker

3. When i copy paste the same matter from pagemaker to indesign document it displays correctly, When i type using devnagri fonts it works absolutely correct

4. So the issue is only when i open the existing pagemaker file

5. I have selected the adobe world ready composer

6. I cannot move to Creativ Cloud because it doesn't support pagemaker files

7. So my main issue it opening the pagemaker files

I have attached the pagemaker file and devnagri fonts, this will be helpful to test on your end

http://www.filedropper.com/pagemakerfonts_1

Please don't reply blindly, understand the issue and try solving the issue on your end i have provided the example pagemaker file and devnagri fonts

• 5. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

Answer to 6. + 7.

InDesign CS6 can open and convert PageMaker files. CS6 is included in the cloud as it is CC and CC2014.

If you have a PM file, you need to convert it first in CS6 and then open the converted file in CC2014.

I would strongly recommend to use OTF fonts! Don’t rely on the old ttf.

• 6. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

Willi, they already have CS6, and CC will not install on XP, so it would be a wast of time and effort to try to move to a newer version without also doing a hardware/OS upgrade.

I suspect we need Joel here to confirm, but my suspicion is these are very old non-Unicode-compliant fonts, though why they work when not converting is a bit of a mystery to me.

In any case, I installed the fonts here temporarily on Windows 7 and opened the file in PM7. It shows three fonts in use. When I open the file in ID, it comes in missing fonts, but shows only a single font, SH, which is not either of the fonts listed in Pagemaker. I can use Find Font to replace with the supplied fonts, but I still have missing font problems in scattered areas, and the Glyphs panel does not register even the glyphs that show. I'm tempted to chalk this up to typical PM-to-ID conversion problems.

On the other hand, exporting the story to RTF in PM, then importing that into ID seems to work. That's certainly not as convenient as a direct conversion, but probably the way to go.

• 7. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@Peter – and there seems to be another problem with the provided TT fonts: They cannot be embedded in PDFs. The permission in the font is set to "Not embedable with PDF".

Tried the conversion process on Mac OSX 10.6.8 with InDesign CS5.5 and CS6.
                      Same problems found. Some glyphs are not showing up, even if I assign the provided fonts to the converted text.

Since the provided glyph set is not compatible with OTF encoding we could only do a large GREP Search/Replace action for every single gylph if we want to use something like an OTF Devanagari font. Simply assigning an OTF font is useless.

You can compare single glyphs and their codepoints in the provided TTF with the Unicode code points needed:

http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0900.pdf

And as you can see here the TTF font is using the wrong code point in regards to Unicode (example: 0928 न DEVANAGARI LETTER NA)

WrongCodePointFor_DEVANAGARI-LETTER-NA.png

Uwe

• 8. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
                        raghugada Level 1

Hi,

I agree with you with the above font issues, but using RTF and direct copy paste from pagemaker file matter is visible correctly.

so the only issue is with the opening of the pagemaker file.

I have noticed one thing which will help you to diagnose the issue, i.e when we open the PM file in Indesign default syles are applied to text, i am assuming this might not be causing issue ?

It works perfectly in pagemaker file and we want to move these files to Indesign, If adobe is not supporting his own products then who will support ?

I am hoping there should be a turn around solution, because rtf is working perfectly.

Note: These are not the unicode fonts

• 9. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

You need to understand that Pagemaker and InDesign are very different programs with different file structures, and there is never a guarantee of a perfect conversion. In fact most Pagemaker files need some work after opening in ID, and many are completely useless.

• 10. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts
                            raghugada Level 1

Hi,

I understand, but when you copy the data from pagemaker file in clipboard and paste it in indesign it works absolutely fine, then why not opening the pagemaker file ?

If you address this to your developer team they could help us in no time, because i have noticed that when you try to open the pagemaker file it applies the default paragraph styles, Is there any way that we could stop applying these default styles are defined for the latin languages and not for the Indic languages, that's what it causing the issue.

• 11. Re: Moving Pagemaker to Indesign for Devnagri Fonts

This is a User-to-User forum. We don't have a developer team, and Pagemaker conversion is what is, there will be no further changes to the functionality as neither CS6 nor Pagemaker are in development.