It is simpe to make.
- Crete a Chyaracter Style for the footnote number.
- Set up the Paragraph Style for the Footnote text.
- Go to the Nested Styles section
- Select the Character Style
- Apply it to the first specified separator symbol (like tabulator) you have choosen when you have set up your footnotes.
- Use it. It will apply automatically. Of course, you have to choose this Footnote Paragraph Style in the Footnote Set Up Settings in the Type menu.
In the Layout>Document Footnote Options
You can select what character styles are used for footnote numbers, and what paragraph styles are used for the footnotes.
Oops in the Type>Document Foootnote Options -
Those settings are for the numbers in the text, not for the numbers in the footnotes. The number’s styling can only been done automatically via nested style or GREP style in the Paragraph style definition for the footnote’s paragraph style.
I misunderstood the query - thanks for clearing it up.