13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2007 12:05 AM by Deaf Web Designer

Fireworks CS3

rhommelbernardino
      Has anybody used the new Fireworks CS3's new features?
        • 1. Re: Fireworks CS3
          Level 7
          There are new features???

"rhommelbernardino" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:f035r2$35k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Has anybody used the new Fireworks CS3's new features?

• 2. Re: Fireworks CS3
            Level 7
            You can learn about the new features here:
            http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/features/

"Tea Rust" <rust@hahaha.com> wrote in message
            news:f037rv$5pn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > There are new features???
            >
            >
            > "rhommelbernardino" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:f035r2$35k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> Has anybody used the new Fireworks CS3's new features?
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Fireworks CS3
              Level 7
              rhommelbernardino wrote:

Yes. Anything specific you would like to know?

--
              Stéphane Bergeron
              reach : connect : communicate
              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
              http://www.pixelyzed.com
              • 4. Re: Fireworks CS3
                Level 7
                Wow, about the only think I see as being worthwhile is the Multipage
                Support... not much bang for an "upgrade"... oh well it's what's to be
                expected from software companies anymore :-(

"Trevor McCauley - Adobe" <supportinfo@adobe.invalid> wrote in message
                news:f0396i$7ek$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > You can learn about the new features here:
                > http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/features/
                >
                >
                > "Tea Rust" <rust@hahaha.com> wrote in message
                > news:f037rv$5pn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> There are new features???
                >>
                >>
                >> "rhommelbernardino" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                >> news:f035r2$35k$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> Has anybody used the new Fireworks CS3's new features?
                >>
                >>
                >
                >

• 5. Re: Fireworks CS3
                  Level 7
                  There are many new elements to FW CS3. What features are you looking for?

Jim Babbage

rhommelbernardino wrote:
                  • 6. Re: Fireworks CS3
                    davidlieb Level 1
                    I'm wondering if FW is any better at rendering detailed vector artwork.

I love the ability to do everything in FW, but Illustrator's small lines just look sooooo much better...
                    • 7. Re: Fireworks CS3
                      Level 7
                      Other than intelligent scaling and better Illustrator support, I do not
                      believe the vector tools were addressed in FW CS3.

Jim

davidlieb wrote:
                      > I'm wondering if FW is any better at rendering detailed vector artwork.
                      >
                      > I love the ability to do everything in FW, but Illustrator's small lines just look sooooo much better...
                      • 8. Re: Fireworks CS3
                        Level 7
                        For more information on line rendering in Fireworks, read:
                        http://www.adobe.com/go/d6f2172a
                        You may be able to get better results in Fireworks after reading that and
                        understanding how they work.

In many situations, adjusting the edge softness of your smaller lines can
                        also make them appear smoother.

"davidlieb" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        news:f03fim$fid$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > I'm wondering if FW is any better at rendering detailed vector artwork.
                        >
                        > I love the ability to do everything in FW, but Illustrator's small lines
                        > just look sooooo much better...

• 9. Re: Fireworks CS3
                          Level 7
                          Thanks for pointing out that technote, Trevor!

David, there's also the new paths panel in CS3: Window > Others > Path

Jim

Trevor McCauley - Adobe wrote:
                          > For more information on line rendering in Fireworks, read:
                          > http://www.adobe.com/go/d6f2172a
                          > You may be able to get better results in Fireworks after reading that and
                          > understanding how they work.
                          >
                          > In many situations, adjusting the edge softness of your smaller lines can
                          > also make them appear smoother.
                          >
                          > "davidlieb" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          > news:f03fim$fid$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          >> I'm wondering if FW is any better at rendering detailed vector artwork.
                          >>
                          >> I love the ability to do everything in FW, but Illustrator's small lines
                          >> just look sooooo much better...
                          >
                          >
                          • 10. Re: Fireworks CS3
                            ageofem Level 1
                            with comparison to illustrator on fireworks vector tools, fireworks needs a little catch up to do, but fireworks can create some awesome vector artwork, just view my recolor artwork in the support center
                            http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/
                            . There's also a nasty bug in fw, some kind of stray pixel when u try to draw shapes with sharp edges, (awful), the fireworks team is going to submit a patch to fix this bug.

Some examples of vector designs in fireworks that i made are here > www.blue2x.deviantart.com
                            • 11. Re: Fireworks CS3
                              Malacandra
                              That stray pixel bug has been in Fireworks since v1.0 - so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting it fixed.

Every time a new version comes out first thing I do is draw a star to see if it's still there... and so far, it's been there. Every. Single. Time.
                              • 12. Fireworks CS3
                                Level 1
                                BLUE2X,

Try to understand that Adobe Illustrator CS3 is specifically designed for high-end, professional-quality printing enviornment. Of course, in the case of "CS3" add to Illustrator, this allows Illustrator documents to be sharing with Flash or even Fireworks. It is worth an effort to make a note understanding that you need to understand the primary functionality or the purpose of these applications and what they are used for and what's not.

So if you assume that you could create website straight out of Illustrator, as an example, it is not going to happen this way.

It is what the term is called "workflow" is the primary purpose for Adobe to put this together with all of products in variety of packages known as CS3 Design Premium (or Design Standard) or CS3 Web Premium (or Web Standard) or other CS3 collection.

I am curious which version of Fireworks you are working with? You didn't say the specific version, so help us to better understand what is the source of problem BASED on specific version of Fireworks... because there are lot of other participants still use Fireworks MX, Fireworks MX 2004, Fireworks 8, and now Fireworks CS3 (or Fw CS3).

Additionally, the difference between Adobe Illustrator CS3 and Adobe Fireworks CS3 is that Fireworks CS3 is fundamentally web graphic and web image editing application. Illustrator is high-end vector application. Fw CS3 is unique -- you can create either vector-based or bitmap-based right there in Fw CS3.

And I took a look at your site, you said you did some of FW work, but don't know which one to illustrate the nature of problem you were talking about. So is there any of FW document that you work on and show us that you experienced some kind of problem that you encountered between Illustrator and Fireworks.

I am afraid that you probably don't understand the primary functionality and the primary purpose of Illustrator and Fireworks, as well as Fireworks CS3 in or by itself.

Cheers, Brian

quote:

Originally posted by: BLUE2X
                                with comparison to illustrator on fireworks vector tools, fireworks needs a little catch up to do, but fireworks can create some awesome vector artwork, just view my recolor artwork in the support center
                                http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/
                                . There's also a nasty bug in fw, some kind of stray pixel when u try to draw shapes with sharp edges, (awful), the fireworks team is going to submit a patch to fix this bug.

Some examples of vector designs in fireworks that i made are here > www.blue2x.deviantart.com

• 13. Re: Fireworks CS3
                                  Level 1
                                  I see that you post your very first reply to the forum.

That is to say Fireworks CS3 is far solid, sound application than it was once before.

Do you have Fireworks CS3 installed on your machine? Or have you evaluated Fireworks CS3 on your machine, no?

Don't be such a rant without knowing the real hard core facts and having hands-on experience around Fw CS3 before you make a such statement or judgement.

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by: Malacandra
                                  That stray pixel bug has been in Fireworks since v1.0 - so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting it fixed.

Every time a new version comes out first thing I do is draw a star to see if it's still there... and so far, it's been there. Every. Single. Time.