3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 2:59 AM by patrickfirmager

Join two or more lines at intersect

patrickfirmager

Hi all,

New to the forums and really only asking here as I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere on the web.

I am trying to neatly join a 1pt horizontal line and 1pt 45° degree angle line together neatly at the point where they intersect using a single step, see screenshot:

From this:

overlap.png

To this:

joined.png

Currently the only way of doing this is by adjusting the length of the lines by eye and trying to get them to overlap so that none of the end cap corners protrude which is time consuming...

I found a script which appears to extrude lines on their current "trajectory" until they collide and then joins them together, see below for example:

From this:

gap.png

To this:

overlap2.png

Your help on this would be greatly appreciated as I have a 68 page brochure to ammend which uses this line style extensively throughout.

Cheers,
      Patrick

• 1. Re: Join two or more lines at intersect
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Select the two endpoint you want to join, open the Pathfinder panel and click the top left button to join them.

You could draw this as one line with the Pen tool....

• 2. Re: Join two or more lines at intersect
            patrickfirmager Level 1

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the late response.

Using the Join function doesn't work because it changes the angle of the lines if the lines overlap or adds in a third line if there is a gap. I want it to extrapolate the ends of the lines out until they meet at a common point but I can't see how to do this.

I had considered using the pen tool as a last resort.

Cheers,
            Patrick

• 3. Re: Join two or more lines at intersect
              patrickfirmager Level 1

Following on from Peter's suggestion of using the pen tool, I figured the easiest way of doing this would be to make sure the diagonal line was drawn first and positioned accordingly, then use the pen tool to add another line. Holding down Shift allows a perfect horizontal line to come off this and then extending the end point of the horizontal or vertical is as easy as selecting the end point and using Shift + mouse drag. The vertical height of the horizontal line can be adjusted by selecting the joint and line endpoint together and Shift + dragging diagonally; thus maintain the angle of the diagonal offshoot.

Cheers!