5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 11:07 AM by bitm07

Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5

joshasall Level 1

I am looking to hear from some of you who made the move from LR4 to LR5 and what your experience was upgrading.  Did you find it worth the cost of the upgrade and maybe some of the benefits you felt LR5 offered that LR4 doesn't.

Thank you,

Josh S

• 1. Re: Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Personally, I feel it's always worth it to upgrade. In reality, there probably isn't a long list of additional features. A couple are noteworthy. I really find a lot of uses for the radial filter. And if you have an Apple mobile device you might find benefit in the Lightroom Mobile features that are available in 5.5 and above. For me, the program just seems to improve. I have never experienced any performance issues in any version of Lightroom. However, I recognize the fact that some people do have such issues. Upgrading to Lightroom 5 was painless.

Without knowing how Lightroom or your experience with it, it's difficult to recommend what you would appreciate the most. The best thing for you to do would be to download the trial version and use it for 30 days. Then you can decide for yourself if it is worth it.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5
            joshasall Level 1

Thanks Jim, I'll do just that.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5
              joshasall Level 1

Will I have an issue if I update my photo catalogue to LR5 if I decide to not upgrade and stick with LR4?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No, there will be no issue, because Lightroom 5 will create an upgrade copy of your catalog, leaving the existing Lightroom 4 catalog intact. That means that you can still use Lightroom 4 just as you are using it now. The Lightroom 5 catalog will point to the same images, and any adjustments that you make using Lightroom 5 will not be part of your Lightroom 4 catalog so you might want to import new images and mainly work on those until you decide.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 4 users who moved to Lightroom 5
                  bitm07 Level 1

JimHess wrote:

Personally, I feel it's always worth it to upgrade. In reality, there probably isn't a long list of additional features. A couple are noteworthy. I really find a lot of uses for the radial filter. And if you have an Apple mobile device you might find benefit in the Lightroom Mobile features that are available in 5.5 and above. For me, the program just seems to improve. I have never experienced any performance issues in any version of Lightroom. However, I recognize the fact that some people do have such issues. Upgrading to Lightroom 5 was painless.

Without knowing how Lightroom or your experience with it, it's difficult to recommend what you would appreciate the most. The best thing for you to do would be to download the trial version and use it for 30 days. Then you can decide for yourself if it is worth it.

Lightroom Mobile is available in the trial version of Lightroom 5 and to Creative Cloud subscribers, but isn't included in the perpetually (traditional) licensed version of Lightroom 5.

I agree that it's always worth it to upgrade, specking from a Landscape photographers prospective I rarely use Radial Filter, Upright or Smart Previews.   I do however regularly use the new healing brush, the revised (and vastly improved) definge options and the noise smoothness slider. 

If you do decide to purchase it's worth checking out the Adobe Labs website ( labs.adobe.com/) before purchasing as numerous websites are predicting that a free Lightroom 6 Beta will be available there before the month is out.