10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2014 2:36 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere editing is slow an freezes.

Gunnar Rannug

Hello,

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 12, and a new high-performance computer.

My problem is that video editing is slow and freezes. This despite the fact that the files do not exceed 3Gb, ie, about 40 minute movie.

What can I do?

/Gunnar

• 1. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunnar

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running - 32 or 64 bit, processor, clock speed, installed/available RAM, free hard drive space...?

Have you done a run through with the free ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts) in spite of "new high performance computer"?

Do the problems persist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

What are you (manually) or the project (automatically) setting as the project preset to match the properties of the source media?

What are the properties of the source media? Brand/model/settings of camera recording the video would help answer this question.

What is happening in the program when the workflow becomes slow and subsequently freezes?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
            Gunnar Rannug Level 1

Hello,

thanks for the quick response, and sorry for the delayed response. Was logged out and had some difficulties to find the page again.

The computer is only used for Word and Adobe. No games etc.

The problem arises not always from the beginning, but becomes more accentuated afterwards. The symptoms are that it is slow to draw, for example video clips or other functions. Nothing happens, you have to draw very slowly or it starts to flash or everything freezes and you have to restart.

The computer is ASUS M51AC. Windows 8.1.

C: is a SSB disk

The roaming space is sometimes big.

Best regards!

Gunnar

• 3. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunnar

Thanks for the reply.

My first impression is that your workflow issues may be due to the state of your free hard drive space. But, let us explore that to rule that factor in or out.

You have a SSD drive with only 13.2 GB remaining of the total 100 GB. Do you have your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 installed on that SSD (C drive)?

Where is your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 project file being saved? If at the default, the project file would be saved to the C drive Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12. The setting of the project file Save In location is in the new project dialog (File Menu/New/Project).

Now here is what I am getting to. Where are the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location? That information should be seen Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. Do you have those Scratch Disks directed to the D drive or are they set with the label Same As Project?

Is the D drive an internal or external hard drive? If external hard drive, how is it formatted - NTFS or FAT32?

Let us look at the above to rule in or out those factors.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                Gunnar Rannug Level 1

Hello,

thanks!¨

Yes, Premiere Elements 12 is installed on the SSD C Drive. But the files are not saved default, they are directed to D: internal hard drive. NTFS formated.

So also the the scratch disk except "mediecache", which is directed to C: Appdata, roaming. Adobe, Common in C drive. Is that the problem?

/ Gunnar

• 5. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                  Gunnar Rannug Level 1

Hello ATR,

are you still on line ;-) ?

Gunnar

• 6. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunnar

I got a very late start to the day. Had some morning appointments.

I looked at your Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks....

Please change the location of the Media Cache there to the D drive location as the others.

And then let us know the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                      Gunnar Rannug Level 1

Hello,

sorry if I stressed you. Did not know if I lost you.

I redirect the media cache to D:  and let you know.

Can I manually delete the files that are now in the media cache in C: (10GB) ?

/ Gunnar

• 8. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunnar

When in doubt, please always post to make sure that I have not lost track of your thread.

Definitely delete the 10 GB in that Media Cache Files Folder and place that folder on C along with the other Scratch Disks.

The consequence of this action will be deletion of all the program's conformed audio files, but the program will automatically generate new

ones when and if the program decides it needs them. The generation of the replacement might be a corrective action in itself besides

having the benefit of clearing up hard drive space.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                          Gunnar Rannug Level 1

Hello,

it seems that the problem is solved,

thanks a lot!

Gunnar

• 10. Re: Premiere editing is slow an freezes.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Gunnar

Very pleased with your follow up news "...seems that the problem is solved,..."

Always great news. Great job sorting through the troubleshooting to success.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

ATR