13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 1:41 PM by George_Johnson

Help System Implementation

syswizardx Level 1

I have a complex form whereby all input fields will all have their "tooltips". However, more text / explanation is needed.

To support this requirement I intend to have the caption (description side) of the input field trigger a help system on the Mouse Down event handler.

The use just clicks on the caption (which will be a read-only text field) and then a lot of text appears to assist them.

What is the best way to "lookup" of the appropriate help text ?

1) Use a global javascript array with "contextID and HelpText" and use ExecDialog to perform the pop-up and display of the text ?

2) Use a separate Acrobat document that contains bookmarks....and then go to the bookmark related to the particular contextID ?

• 1. Re: Help System Implementation
          George_Johnson MVP & Adobe Community Professional

It depends on how much text would be needed. I'd suggest using a button, and the Mouse Up event, to do something like:

app.alert("Message goes here.\rThis is the second line.\r\rThis is the fourth line.", 3);

Much easier than a custom dialog. You mentioned using a read-only text field, but read-only fields can't be interacted with by the user, so they can't be used to trigger actions.

For more text than will reasonably fit in an alert dialog, your idea of using a separate document is good. I'd suggest including it as a file attachment and set up the document so it opens in a new window with the toolbars and menus not showing, and include a button to close the document. There are a number of details in setting this up, so post again if you'd like more info.

• 2. Re: Help System Implementation
            syswizardx Level 1

Yes, George.....thanks. I'll have to rethink the trigger mechanism...perhaps a small button ?

I love the idea of a file attachment...that way only a single file is needed.

So the attachment is actually the help file in PDF format then.

So what I need is the logic to detect if it's been opened for the first time, if not, open it up.

If it's been opened, then bring that window to the front, and go to the bookmark that is specified.

That's the basic logic.

• 3. Re: Help System Implementation

You don't need any logic. You just need to set the Mouse Up trigger of the button to use a "Go to a page view" action that links to location in the attached PDF that you want. If it's already opened, it can't open a second instance, and it will have the focus.

• 4. Re: Help System Implementation
                syswizardx Level 1

Nice ! Now.....Is there any way to scroll the bookmark to the top of the page view ?

In other words, if the bookmark is half-way on the page, I want the last half of the page to show.

• 5. Re: Help System Implementation

Set the view (scroll/zoom) to whatever you want before clicking the "Set link" button.

• 6. Re: Help System Implementation
                    syswizardx Level 1

Thanks. Just as a test for my idea of using a caption as an a click event handler,

I changed one of the text field properties to "Locked"....and strangely I could still enter and change the text in that field !!

Is that a bug ? This was Acrobat Pro XI (11.0.07).

• 7. Re: Help System Implementation

When you select the Locked check box, it just prevents edits to the field properties, location, size, etc. It doesn't prevent the user from interacting with the field. If a field is set to read-only or is hidden, then the user won't be able to interact with it.

• 8. Re: Help System Implementation
                        syswizardx Level 1

Strangely that is quite different from MS Access forms where Locked prevents data entry, yet events can still fire.

I think Adobe made a mistake on this one.

• 9. Re: Help System Implementation

Is there a problem using a button? A button can be configured to have no visible appearance.

• 10. Re: Help System Implementation
                            syswizardx Level 1

Interesting thought George. Can I put the button "on top" of the captioned text ?

In other words, is there a "z-order" setting somewhere or "bring to front" setting ?

In fact, I'd like to do that programatically in Javascript.

However, (and Yikes !), there appears to be no "Tag" property.

That omission forces me to use a strict field naming convention to be able to isolate caption text fields.

• 11. Re: Help System Implementation

Yes, the tab order defines the z-order as well.

• 12. Re: Help System Implementation
                                syswizardx Level 1

George - I got it to work by keeping the button in front of the caption and setting it to visible with no fill, no borders

However, only the Mouse Down event handler would fire...not the Mouse Up. This would happen only if I tabbed to the button.

If I hovered over it and clicked, nothing happened because it appears the captioned text got the focus instead.

It appears I need to set the Focus to the button when the text field is entered.

Also I could not set a Goto PageView into a different document

On top of all of that, it appears impossible to scroll down to a bookmark in the middle of a page.

Finally, a Word 2010 document's bookmarks were not recognized by Acrobat XI even though the settings in the Word Acrobat Addin had the checkmark for this option.

Wow, this has been an exercise in frustration.

• 13. Re: Help System Implementation

Exactly how did you add the caption text? Is it a type of form field, text comment, something else? Normally it would be regular text on a page and some some type of interactive element, so it wouldn't be able to receive the focus.

Regarding setting up a go to view action to another document, it is certainly possible. If you describe how you've tried and provide more information on what part isn't working, it would help.

I don't know what you mean when you say "a Word 2010 document's bookmarks were not recognized by Acrobat XI". Can you elaborate?