12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 4:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Rendering

1savedbygrace

I'm using Elements 11 and it won't render.  The same project rendered before.  I tried deleting the rendered files and the rendering line turned orange.  Now it won't render.  Any suggestions?  I'm just trying to do a slideshow with still images and a few motion title effects and the program keeps closing.  I only have 4 title pages and a song so it's quite small.

• 1. Re: Rendering
          A.T. Romano Level 7

1savedbygrace

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Are the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar positioned so that they span the whole Timeline area that you want to render?

In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, is there a check mark next to "Play work area after rendering previews"?

In Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks, where are the Video Previews directed and how much free hard drive space is at

that location?

What is your project preset and what are the properties of the source media, especially those that will not render in spite of the

orange line over their content?

Depending on the results, please consider posting a screenshot of this Timeline content that will not render.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Rendering
            1savedbygrace Level 1

Computer Info.jpg

• 3. Re: Rendering
              1savedbygrace Level 1

I upgraded from Elements 9 to 11 and I've never had difficulty before.  Here is a screenshot of how simple it is so far and having so much difficulty.

Elements 11 Project.png

• 4. Re: Rendering
                1savedbygrace Level 1
                • Gray tabs
                  • correct location
                • "Play work area after rendering previews"?
                  • yes
                • In Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks
                • Elements 11 Project.png
                • 5. Re: Rendering
                  1savedbygrace Level 1

I think my issue may be I don't understand Rendering.  I've been rendering all day (over and over). Because the playback was so choppy and poor quality.  Perhaps, my rendering file is full?  In Elements 9, I never rendered until the very end before saving to an output like a DVD.  And the playback was excellent as I was editing in Elements 9.  Am I correct in assuming that each time I render, a file is it essentially being saving in a video clip quality?  If so, I need to find where all these rendered files are saved and trash them and start over.

• 6. Re: Rendering
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

1savedbygrace

Your screenshots seem to tell the cause of your no Timeline render issue, and it points to the setting of the gray tabs of the Work Area Bar.

Please compare your gray tabs in screenshot in post numbered 3 with the following...

Render11.JPG

In my screenshot, notice the two gray tabs spanning the Timeline content and that spanned area characterized by the lighter gray color.

By contrast, where is the second gray tab of the Work Area Bar in your case?

This is what I would like you to do.

Move the Timeline Indicator to the end of the last clip on the Timeline.

As you hold down on the Alt key of the computer main keyboard, hit the computer keyboard's right bracket key ]

That action should place the second gray tab at the end of the Timeline content. Move the Timeline Indicator to

the beginning of the Timeline. As you hold down the Alt key, hit the left bracket key [

That action should assure that the first gray tab is placed there.

Now try to render the Timeline content.

The settings of the gray tabs should be automatic with the addition of media to the Timeline. We can address the why not

in this case later.

Please review and let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: Rendering
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

1savedbygrace

The Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks/Video Previews is telling you where the preview files are...looks like the default

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder.

In the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder are the preview files....

a. If you are doing a SD project, these files are DV AVI video whether you have Timeline rendered a still or video.

b. If you are doing a HD project, these files are MPEG2.mpeg video whether you have Timeline rendered a still or video. The each MPEG2.mpeg has

a companion file .xmp.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Rendering
                        1savedbygrace Level 1

This was the issue.  I moved the right Work Area Bar to the end of my project and I have the option to render again.  Should I render often or when I've completed the project?  Like I mentioned, before with Elements 9, I didn't render until then end of a project, but I must not have been creating too complicated of projects.  I kept rendering the project because the quality was so choppy and I was unable to get the timing of a motion graphic I was including on a Title.  I changed the view to High Quality, but it didn't help.  I thought rendering a project just copied over the last rendered file each time it was rendered. 

I guess an even greater issue is the program keeps freezing and then closing.  I haven't gotten very far and not sure why it keeps shutting down.

Thank you for your guidance...

• 9. Re: Rendering
                          1savedbygrace Level 1

This is a snapshot of my system properties.... Does anything stand out to you as why it would not properly run this program?

Computer Info2.jpg

Computer Info3.jpg

• 10. Re: Rendering
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

1savedbygrace

Great news. Great job with the screenshots to target the issue.

Rendering the Timeline is your opportunity to catch of problem sooner than later and is usually indicated

when dealing with titles, effects, transitions, and non native content. You do not have to do it at all, but... The sooner than

later aspects of it make it worthwhile.

If I am building a Timeline content on many phases of the overall project plan, I find it safer to assure that phase 1 is OK before I

create the next phase. Depending on the circumstances, I may not render the Timeline at all. But, I rarely leave the Timeline rendering to

the end of the project at the Edit area stage. Go with what works for you, and your decision probably will not be the same for each

of your projects.

Now here can be the problem....pile ups of preview files that are automatically generated during Timeline rendering and placed in a designated

hard drive location. Every time you render, for SD project, you get a DV AVI file (whether the rendered file is still or video); for HD project, you get

a MPEG2.mpeg file + a companion .xmp file (whether the rendered files is still or video). If you are not monitoring the content of the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder, you may be shocked to find GBs of files there eating up your hard drive space.

By default, the Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder is found in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11 (your case).

Double check to see what is there. You may have to delete those files and then Timeline render only those files that still exist and need Timeline rendering.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks. Your follow up was much appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: Rendering
                              1savedbygrace Level 1

Thank you so much for the information... I can't find exactly where those are being saved.  Here's another snapshot of where I think you are describing they should be found so I can clear them out.  There is a function will tell it to delete all rendered files from timeline and for all projects.  I've tried both options.  But the major issue is the stalling and then crashing of the program.  I can't get it to stay functional to do 24 sec of title page and still photos.  There must be a conflict within my computer settings or the Elements program.  I'm in a hurry to complete a project.

Elements 11.jpg

• 12. Re: Rendering
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

1savedbygrace

Please check out your other thread on workflow problems for more comments.

Elements 11 Crashing with only 24 sec of still photos

Thanks.

ATR