1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 5:02 AM by rob day

What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm

I'm trying to use the Adobe InDesign part of Creative Cloud to design a cover with elements I've created/edited in Adobe Photoshop Elements 12.  What do I have to do to get the Adobe programs to work with each other, since InCloud doesn't recognize the pictures in ANY format I've saved it in?  (In short, I have copies of the same files in every possible "save" ability that the Elements has, but I still can't use anything.)  Having just spent my hard earned money on this crap, I'm thinking I made a mistake win trusting Adobe.

• 1. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
          SJRiegel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You haven't explained how you are trying to use the images from Elements. Files saved out of Elements will not open in InDesign, nor should they.  You need to create your InDesign document, and then use File > Place to add the images.

• 2. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
            Derek Cross Level 6

Hi Galadrielemm

Although you can place native Photoshop (and other formats) in InDesign documents you may find it more convenient to use the JPG format for your photographs.

Keep the images in the same folder, or in a sub-folder, as the InDesign file so the document can reference the original images. Have a look at the Links panel (Windows > Links) to discover more information about your placed images.

InDesign is a professional high level desktop application used throughout the world by publishers and designers - it's hardly crap! Maybe you should take some time to learn to use the application. There are a number of books and online tutorials we can recommend and people on this forum are friendly and knowledgeable and always ready to help with suggestions and advice with specific questions.

Have fun!

Derek

• 3. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
              galadrielemm Level 1

I thought it was rather obvious how I was trying to use the program SRiegel, when I said I AM TRYING TO MAKE A COVER!  I need to use Photoshop Elements to get the gold title I want to put on my book, I'm following the EXACT instructions on how to "Place" an image - a TIFF photo of two models against a background representing the place they meet - with my designed title on the bottom of the cover.  InDesign doesn't recognize jpeg.  It doesn't recognize tiff. It doesn't recognize gif. It doesn't recognize png.  It doesn't recognize bmp.  If it DOESN'T RECOGNIZE THE IMAGE, HOW IS IT GOING TO FIND IT TO IMPORT????

I don't need corrections to my English because you were taught this program in school and don't see the problem, dude.  I graduated from high school in 1979 and left college in 1981.  I DIDN'T HAVE THIS OFFERED IN SCHOOL!

Now, how about give me something other than the "instruction" from the program?  What image file am I supposed to use in order to it to recognize I have images?

• 4. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                galadrielemm Level 1

Thank you, Derek, for that information, but the original images ARE jpeg.  I'm following the instructions from CreateSpace to try to create my cover, but when I'm in the file that has the jpeg and the program says it sees no image, it's rather hard to take the program seriously.  Of course, CreateSpace insists that you need to put in color behind the image and only place the image on part of the cover, but there HAS to be a way to use the picture from the photo shoot that I want as my cover, doesn't there?  It makes no sense to me that the image I sent my last publisher was able to be used (even though she screwed things up badly and made my model's face and hair turn blue), and I have only short spurts of time to try to master this.  When the instruction says "put in the image using file>place" and you use "file>place" but it can't find the images, how frustrated will YOU be?

So far, this has been the entire Adobe experience for me:  I find a tutorial, follow the instructions to a "t", and have the program give me grief instead of doing what the tutorial tells me I should be seeing.  I've used alternate computers to see if maybe there's something in my laptop, which is ancient, that prevents the program from working properly, but no matter what computer I use on which Windows system, it's the same result.  I'm left looking at error messages or trying to get the stupid program to recognize what it's looking at and walk away from the computer two hours later than it was supposed to take, WAY behind on the other things I need to do, with NO results from Adobe to show that I ever tried to do anything.  I've wasted 12 hours so far this week just trying to make a cover for a book that I'd like to release in December instead of having the cover ready while I used those additional hours to finish the edit that needs to happen.

Not happy at all, so if you can tell me how to make InDesign recognize a jpeg when it's busy playing Schultz from "Hogan's Heroes" ("I see NOTHING!"), I would greatly appreciate it!

• 5. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                  Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you put a copy of the photos and ID file on a sharing service like Dropbox so one of us could try?

• 6. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Graduated from high school in 1979? Your attitude is more like last week.

Perhaps you can give us a step-by-step account of what you are doing in InDesign so we can spot the failure?

• 7. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm left looking at error messages or trying to get the stupid program to recognize what it's looking at

Is the problem you can't choose an image file or you can't place it after you've chosen? To place an image you have to either draw a image frame and have it selected or, if there's no frame selected, your cursor is loaded with the image and you have to click somewhere to finish the place.

Frame selection method:

Screen Shot 2014-09-07 at 2.28.17 PM.png

Cursor method:

ScreenSnapz002.png

• 8. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                        Danny Whitehead. Level 4

As users, rather than Adobe employees, we are under no obligation to help you. And in this case, I think many of us have chosen not to. The only advice I'll give is that you think about why that might be.

• 9. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think you need to calm down.

Hundreds of users here on the forums do what you want to do on a daily basis.

It's not the program isn't working - it just isn't working for you, probably down to how you are using the program and how you expect it to respond, which are completely different to how it actually works and how it should respond.

Take a deep breath and calm down.

There are plenty of people here willing to help you - show respect and patience and then you will get results.

• 10. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                            John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

galadrielemm wrote:

I'm left looking at error messages...

What do those messages say?

I've wasted 12 hours so far this week just trying to make a cover for a book that I'd like to release in December instead of having the cover ready while I used those additional hours to finish the edit that needs to happen.

No doubt this will come off as a snarky reply regardless of my intent. Nevertheless, perhaps it needs to said; "just trying to make a cover" is exactly the kind of thing professional graphic designers do for a living. When you need some graphic design done, you have the same options everyone does. One option is to attempt it in DIY fashion even if you don't really know how. Another would be to hire a professional. There are others, like asking a favor of your nephew's girlfriend who dabbles in making greeting cards with pictures of her cats. Of course the option you choose is up to you, but your choice will certainly affect the outcome. And, as you may have surmised from your experience, when you try it yourself, there is a learning curve involved. The software doesn't do it for you, and just like any other professional discipline, there is no substitute for real training and experience. Your situation is no different than a homeowner who forgoes calling a plumber and fixes a leaky pipe himself, causing three new leaks in the process. Does the manufacturer of his pipe wrench owe him something? Is the online info he read to blame for the new leaks? Should the members of a plumbers' forum line up to be targets of his frustration? You haven't had an "Adobe experience." You've had a learning experience.

• 11. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                              galadrielemm Level 1

I can try, Larry, as soon as I have a few spare minutes to open an account somewhere, but you're apt to see the same photo in several versions, as I've saved the same picture as a jpeg, a bmp, a gif, a tiff, a pdf, a png....in short, any program I have on my computer that will open the file and has a "save as" option has been used. I'm following the instructions at the company my prior publisher was using to publish my prior works, which appear on this site: CreateSpace Community: How to Make a Basic Coverhttps://forums.createspace.com/en/community/docs/DOC-1251

I'm following the instructions just the way they are written because I've never used this program before. I've even put in a background color despite the fact that I'm using photographs from a cover shoot by some models in LA, so the background color won't even show, and the title has been put on in Photoshop Elements 12 because I want it to be gold.  I get to step VIII and that's when it all goes haywire, as I select "File>Place" and none of the programs I have to save the file in are recognized.

Thank you for your offer, as I'm working overtime in a retail position, trying to get this book ready for a release ASAP, and barely sleeping, so I'm having a really hard time figuring out what program InDesign expects me to have to save the program, since it doesn't even recognize the other Adobe file extensions....

This is a jpeg version of the image I'm trying to use as the front cover, scaled down to the dimensions this site allows, should you wish to play with it while I'm trying to find the time to get other versions onto another site.

Thank you for understanding my frustration and actually offering to help.

new cover final edit..jpg

• 12. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                galadrielemm Level 1

Follow this web site, which is from the publishing company I'm trying to use, and you'll see exactly what I'm doing:  CreateSpace Community: How to Make a Basic Cover

• 13. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

>> as I select "File>Place" and none of the programs I have to save the file in are recognized.

Are you navigating to the folder where you saved your image? You are looking for the .jpeg, .tif, .psd pr whatever format, not a program.

• 14. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                    galadrielemm Level 1

Thank you for your comment, John, and nothing snarky about the second part of your comment.

Quite simply, after following the instructions step by step from CreateSpace on how to do this (CreateSpace Community: How to Make a Basic Cover), I get to step VIII and the error message basically tells me that there are no images on my computer at all. Before coming to the forum for help, I had opened my cover in every imaging program I could find or download (for free, natch, as I'm no Bill Gates and don't have a ton of money laying around), but no matter what extension the image is saved in, I do the "File>Place" and the program insists there are no images to load.

As to hiring someone or calling in favors, I pretty much used the money I had available to hire the models and photographer for the cover shoot. The people who owed me favors helped me with the cover for my last book, and we all got burned by my former publisher, who hated all the covers we came up with for one reason or another, changed colors on the cover image she finally decided could work (which were to represent Mardi Gras/New Orleans), put dots of white in the model's hair, "repaired" it very sloppily in Paint, and then refused to give credit to the model and photographer, who had been promised that their work would be credited.....

In short, the people who "did me a solid" on the last cover refuse to work with me because they're waiting to see what happens when I try this on my own, and I'm starting to understand why when I've gone through millions of hoops for this "basic" cover only to find that my costly cover shoot isn't accepted by the company that is supposed to be printing the book......

If you can spot where the tutorial is missing something, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

• 15. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

If the .jpg is not showing in your Place directory maybe you have a system problem. Should be very straight forward:

ScreenSnapz003.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.02.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-09-09 at 10.02.58 AM.png

• 16. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm wrote:

no matter what extension the image is saved in, I do the "File>Place" and the program insists there are no images to load.

Can you show a screen shot of the error, and/or of what you are seeing when you try to place an image?

• 17. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                          jmlevy Adobe Community Professional

I noticed that your file is named with 2 dots (new+cover+final+edit..jpg). It does not matter on a Mac, but maybe it is a problem on a Windows computer?

• 18. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm wrote:

...but no matter what extension the image is saved in, I do the "File>Place" and the program insists there are no images to load.

Right. You actually did a good job of making that clear right from the start, but it would help if you could yet be more specific. "The program insists" does nothing to help us tech types perceive the exact nature of the problem. The way you phrase it in your reply to Larry actually further clouds the issue:

"...I select "File>Place" and none of the programs I have to save the file in are recognized."

Of course in the File > Place dialog, your task is to navigate to files (the JPEG file itself); not programs.

So could you reiterate exactly what you see when you execute File > Place, then navigate to the location where you saved the image file?

• 19. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

jmlevy wrote:

I noticed that your file is named with 2 dots (new+cover+final+edit..jpg). It does not matter on a Mac, but maybe it is a problem on a Windows computer?

Good thought, but no. Windows (and ID's Place function) only sees the extension as that which follows the final dot. Preceding dots are allowed.

• 20. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                galadrielemm Level 1

As I've posted repeatedly this morning, THIS is the tutorial on how to use the program that I'm following:  CreateSpace Community: How to Make a Basic Cover 

Step VIII is where everything falls apart, as I've saved the image in every extension possible, but no images show for me to choose from.  I posted the jpeg that everyone insists I needed to save it in to Larry Schneider's answer, if you can make it work.  (I've even reset my laptop to "restore to factory" and reinstalled everything as well and transferring the whole mess to the Windows 8.1 desktop with no change in the result.)

And frankly, before you comment on someone else's attitude, perhaps I should point out that, as mentioned in my initial question, I purchased Photoshop Elements to create the image I'm trying to load as the cover image, which is the equivalent of two week's pay for me.  I'm using the one month trial version of InDesign because I need to eat at some point, so I can't afford to buy more Adobe programs at this time.  I have less than a week left on the trial, and have been getting less than 2 hours of sleep each night trying to get this program to recognize the image, no matter what extension the file is.  My normal response over the past three weeks has been from techies whose common theme is "Didn't they teach you this in school?  Why didn't you pay attention in class?" instead of answering the question.

So yes, my attitude right now could probably use some help from something other than the huge quantities of coffee I'm ingesting to try to stay upright and functioning while InDesign keeps showing me empty file folders instead of recognizing any of the multitudes of image extensions I've saved my cover photo as, but adding your snarky comment to the mix doesn't help anyone, especially someone who is already at the breaking point.

• 21. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

Have you tried dragging and dropping the .jpg on to a document page?

• 22. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                    galadrielemm Level 1

It's that, when I try to open the file to put the image in, Adobe swears there are no images to chose from.  Please see the other responses before suggesting an extension, as I've got dozens of copies of the image in every extension I've been able to save the image in, so your instruction on what to do with the file on the InDesign page doesn't really help.  Thanks for trying, though.

• 23. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                      galadrielemm Level 1

Sorry Eugene, but I've been battling this program, just trying to get it to find an image, for three weeks out of a month long trial.  I'm out of breath and out of calm at this point due to staying up for hours past when I should have been in bed trying to get it to recognize ANY image.........

• 24. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

Please see the other responses before suggesting an extension

I'm not suggesting an extension. Any image can be placed on a page via drag and drop—it's an alternate method to File>Place...

• 25. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

One again, please show some screen shots of the errors, and/or what you are seeing when you try to place a file. Without that, we are all just shooting in the dark trying to figure out exactly what is going wrong.

• 27. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                            galadrielemm Level 1

Interesting.  I hadn't noticed that, but it's not recognizing the ones with one dot, either.  According to what I'm seeing, there are no image files AT ALL on my computer, even though I've managed to find the files for Facebook, Goodreads, my blog, my web site, etc.  InDesign seem to be the only program in my computer that swears on a stack of bibles that I have no images on my computer.

*sigh*

Maybe I should have coughed up the $300 + last week when I was trying to get assistance for my husband's Hotmail account and, instead of just changing the email where they were sending his security code (as that email account was no longer valid), they told me that I had to pay them to install Windows 8 on my Windows 7 laptop and destroy a bunch of errors from unused programs shutting off when I asked them to...

Since others have shown me above that my image CAN be found, I may have gotten a faulty download.  Thanks for pointing out that error.

• 28. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                              MW Design Level 4

It would be much, much easier if you would upload your ID document, the design specifications in a text file (the final page size with the spine which is based upon the number of pages) and the final image, all ZIPped up and uploaded to dropbox.com

Really. We cannot see what you have, time is short and doing the 20 questions thing isn't getting you any closer.

The instructions on CS are correct for their mock book cover from what I gleaned.

• 29. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm wrote:

It's that, when I try to open the file to put the image in, Adobe swears there are no images to chose from.

OK look. Please try to put your frustration aside just for a moment and be analytical.

When you invoke File > Place. The Place dialog facilitates your navigation to the location where your image file is saved, allowing you to select it and click an affirmative button to put the image on your InDesign page.

This process is failing at your desk because something is wrong. Something is wrong, either with your computer or the way you're doing it. None of us can see it from where we are, so we must rely on your account of the events. But as long as you keep characterizing it in ways that can't be, no one can help...

"messages telling me there are no images anywhere on my computer" There is no such message. Please post a screenshot of whatever message you're referring to.

"The program insists..." No, it doesn't. It can't.

"Adobe swears..." No one knows what this means. We all swear at Adobe...not the other way 'round.

Again, we'll need you to describe objectively and accurately exactly what you see on your screen after you invoke File > Place so it can be determined how it differs from what should happen. Please?

• 30. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                                  galadrielemm Level 1

Sorry, Rob.  Exhausted from trying to deal with this around days that already need to be 48 hours long for me to get everything done while I'm trying to force this one more thing to be done and over with.

I can drag and drop it in other programs, as I've been using Photoshop Elements with the file I'm trying to use as my cover, and I've opened it in Paint, and dragged and dropped onto other web programs that offer other extensions to save it as, etc., just the InDesign isn't recognizing the images.  After reading through the multitudes of suggestions, I'm starting to think something happened in the download of InDesign, as I have everything the program says it needs to run properly, but it isn't running properly (and yes, I know, that's a "duh" statement, or we wouldn't be talking, right?), and other people - you included - have been able to use the image properly to show me how it's done.

*trying hard not to roll my eyes this morning, as I think I found a pea I stuck up my nose when I was three when I rolled my eyes at work yesterday*

I have a rare "day off" tomorrow with nothing planned except for a sunrise paddle in my kayak before it gets too cold here in Maine to do that, so I'm thinking of doing an uninstall/reinstall tomorrow and seeing if it behaves any better.  Thank you for your patience.

• 31. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

Please show screen shots.

• 32. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                                      galadrielemm Level 1

Sorry, SRiegel, but I have to go through that whole "set everything up" part again to get that screen shot - and I really need to stop answering these questions to get ready for work, so that's not going to happen today.  Suffice to say that the files I open while the window is saying "choose image file" shows just the pure white background with absolutely no images to be able to choose.  The drop down box for extensions shows PDF as one of the choices, but even the PDF image isn't in the file for the window, but is there when I click on the library>pictures file.  As I said to Rob just above, I have a day off tomorrow and am going to try the uninstall/reinstall on the off chance that it was something to do with a DSL connection during the download.

• 33. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm

I'm sorry that we haven't been able to be of more help to you on this.

Maybe tomorrow, if the reinstall fails to solve this, you could post some screen shots of the problem. If the reinstall does solve it, please come back to this thread to report that reinstalling the program was the answer, so that future users with this problem searching the forum will find the solution.

• 34. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm wrote:

As I've posted repeatedly this morning, THIS is the tutorial on how to use the program that I'm following:  CreateSpace Community: How to Make a Basic Cover

Step VIII is where everything falls apart, as I've saved the image in every extension possible, but no images show for me to choose from.  I posted the jpeg that everyone insists I needed to save it in to Larry Schneider's answer, if you can make it work.  (I've even reset my laptop to "restore to factory" and reinstalled everything as well and transferring the whole mess to the Windows 8.1 desktop with no change in the result.)

And frankly, before you comment on someone else's attitude, perhaps I should point out that, as mentioned in my initial question, I purchased Photoshop Elements to create the image I'm trying to load as the cover image, which is the equivalent of two week's pay for me.  I'm using the one month trial version of InDesign because I need to eat at some point, so I can't afford to buy more Adobe programs at this time.  I have less than a week left on the trial, and have been getting less than 2 hours of sleep each night trying to get this program to recognize the image, no matter what extension the file is.  My normal response over the past three weeks has been from techies whose common theme is "Didn't they teach you this in school?  Why didn't you pay attention in class?" instead of answering the question.

So yes, my attitude right now could probably use some help from something other than the huge quantities of coffee I'm ingesting to try to stay upright and functioning while InDesign keeps showing me empty file folders instead of recognizing any of the multitudes of image extensions I've saved my cover photo as, but adding your snarky comment to the mix doesn't help anyone, especially someone who is already at the breaking point.

Since that was directed to me, let me point out that when I suggested you post step by step what you are doing you had not yet provided any link to the create space documentation, so we had absolutely no way of knowing what directions you were trying to follow. And I think at this point we all have the link, so you can stop posting it in every response. Your attitude has nothing at all to do with what programs you've p[purchased or are using on trial, it has to do with ranting and accusatory language. We're volunteers here, and we provide excellent help when folks like you are calm and provide the information we need to help you. Act your age.

• 35. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

galadrielemm wrote:

Sorry, SRiegel, but I have to go through that whole "set everything up" part again to get that screen shot - and I really need to stop answering these questions to get ready for work, so that's not going to happen today.  Suffice to say that the files I open while the window is saying "choose image file" shows just the pure white background with absolutely no images to be able to choose.

This is a really good sign that you haven't selected a folder where your images are located. This is a system dialog, and it works just like an open or save dialog in any program -- you need to navigate to a folder where your images are stored.

• 36. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?

I can drag and drop it in other programs, as I've been using Photoshop Elements with the file I'm trying to use as my cover, and I've opened it in Paint, and dragged and dropped onto other web programs that offer other extensions to save it as, etc., just the InDesign isn't recognizing the images

You have to drag and drop on to a page of an open document and not onto the InDesign application. InDesign can't open image files

• 37. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                                                Derek Cross Level 6

When you get the application(s) sorted and working you might consider taking this short online tutorial "Getting Started with InDesign":

http://www.lynda.com/InDesign-tutorials/Getting-Started-InDesign/164745-2.html?srchtrk=ind ex:1%0Alinktypeid:2%0Aq:indesign%0Apage:1%0As:relevance%0Asa:true%0Aproducttypeid:2

It's aimed at absolute InDesign beginners, like you!

And you can get a free week's access to this, and the other Lynda.com courses. (If someone can provide a link – Bob?)

And as I understand it, you live in Maine, you might consider a course at Maine Media Workshops (when you've made your fortune!):

http://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/design-book-arts

Derek

• 38. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                                                  galadrielemm Level 1

Thanks, Derek.  I had found Lynda.com thanks to a co-worker, so I don't need the link.  I've had to remove Elements from my computer and reinstall it all due to an issue with the amount I paid on my Elements (there was a discount that was missed, and due to licensing, I have to uninstall the prior licensed copy, return it and get a new copy this morning), so I just went ahead and uninstalled/reinstalled InDesign at the same time.  Guessing it WAS a DSL download issue, as the new download is working the way it's supposed to.

• 39. Re: What format am I supposed to use in Adobe programs?
                                                                                    galadrielemm Level 1

Thanks, Rob.  I was going on the assumption that InDesign was like the other programs I was used to that one can either drag and drop or open the window and locate the file.  One of those "everything else works THIS way" mentalities, and I was left scratching my head when the open box says "chose image" and shows a blank screen where one would normally be seeing an open file and a choice of photographs to chose from.  Thank you for your patience in assisting me - and for using my own image to show that it CAN happen!

1 2 Previous Next