9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 6:26 PM by [r]Evolution

Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template

[r]Evolution Level 1

I am new to Dreamweaver. After trying to build my site with it, I decided it would be best to Purchase a Template and modify to my liking.

The template I purchased came with .html files and corresponding folders with the image files & such. Dreamweaver can see everything just fine and displays the pages as one would expect in Design & Live view. Problem is: the file names are way too loooong! I would like to change the name of the .html files & folders to something more manageable.

I've researched and found advice to use the Files Manager in Dreamweaver to change the .html & corresponding folder name.

When I use the Files Manager in Dreamweaver and change the .html, I get asked if, I'd like to Update the Links? I say, Yes. Everything is OK. When I begin using the Files Manager in Dreamweaver and change the name of the folders, Dreamweaver begins to lose file connections and WYSIWYG locations.

Question:

- How can I rename: "This is Your Corporate Site Template.html" & "This is Your Corporate Site Template_files" folder

To something like: "index.html" & "index_files" folder

- Is it possible to save my site in a way that forces all the .html pages to point to the same folder for their images/content?

Naturally, I want to keep the site Look & Functionality.

• 1. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
          Ken Binney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi -

Your subject line says "Dreamweaver Template" which is a very special type of document.which is named with a DWT extension, and is used to generate HTML pages.

Please clarify if this is, or is not the case.

In any case don't clutter up your link paths with a folder for every page.  Put all your pages in the root folder.

You should put a folder named images inside the root folder and place all you images there.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
            [r]Evolution Level 1

Sitting here reading more about Dreamweaver. Shew! It's a lot to take in for a guy like me that just wants to build/update one site. I'm a video guy... ask me (almost) anything about Pr!

I did see mention of Dreamweaver Template (.dwt) as you explained Ken. Sorry about the confusion as it probably is a bit misleading. I want to do exactly what you have explained and have all images, .js, etc., in one folder. I don't know why the Template I purchased came with a folder for each page instead of the way you're describing.

Knowing that I purchased what they called a 'Template' which has multiple .html pages as well as a folder for each... would you recommend a way to combine said images/assets into 1 folder and keep the various .html files linked to them?

-or- should I be approaching this from a different angle?

Just tried using File Manager and moving all the files into 1 folder. I said YES to updating the file locations yet the site fell apart:  the look & images. Everything is off! (I'm guessing that's NOT the way to do it)

• 3. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template

I tend to prefer SSI rather than DW Templates, but we have several Template experts.

Please advise the name and download address for your particular template.

• 4. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
                [r]Evolution Level 1

I've now got all of the .html pages and corresponding folders saved with logical (short) names.

I still have a folder for each .html page though. Also, each folder has some of the same files (webfont.js - script.js - jquery.js - etc) If I try to put them all in the same folder, it asks if I want to replace. I say "Yes', the site goes bonkers. I say "No", the sight goes bonkers. Is this a CSS issue?

I've been looking but I think the terminology is messing me up when I search. The results that are showing up are irrelevant to my situation.

Is there a proper method I should use to save & link all the assets to one folder?

Would it be even better if I were to break it down into multiple folders like (.js - .css - .images)?

• 5. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template

You ignored my request above.

Please advise the name and download address for your particular template.

I don't yet know what sort of "template" you're trying to work with. and why you have a bunch of html pages.

Regarding folders, you certainly could have folders for images and also CSS and JS, however the more folders you have, the more complicated your links will be. (I personally prefer only one folder for images inside the root folder).

• 6. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
                    Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I decided it would be best to Purchase a Template and modify to my liking.

This rarely works well for beginners because these so called templates tend to be badly coded and overly complex even for experienced designers.

Before you start changing file names and moving things around, I urge to to make a backup copy of your purchased template package.  That way, you'll have a clean copy to revert back to if needed.

Open "This is your corporate site template.html"  File > SaveAs  > new_filename.html (no spaces or special characters other than underscores_ hyphens- or dots.  Repeat for other pages.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
                      [r]Evolution Level 1

It is actually very easy to change the Text & Images to the Template... even for me, a beginner. A lot easier than trying to build it from scratch.... which would have been impossible for me, a beginner.

As I stated above, I was able to save each .html page out as NewFilename.html but each .html file also has a corresponding image/assets folder [4 .html pages & 4 images/assets folders] My previous WYSIWYG editor also saved multiple .html files (one for each page), but it saved all the images/assets to 1 folder.

* I am trying to have only one folder for all images/assets for all of my .html pages (home - about - services - contact) inside the root folder as it is a lot less confusing for the build and server side.

????:

- Is there a proper method I can/should use to save all the assets of multiple .html files to one folder [4 .html files & 1 images/assets folder] for one site?

• 8. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
                        Preran Adobe Employee

- Is there a proper method I can/should use to save all the assets of multiple .html files to one folder [4 .html files & 1 images/assets folder] for one site?

Maybe I need more coffee, but if you plan to have all assets in one folder, why not dump all files into one assets folder and link to them from  your HTML files? The only thing you will need to do, I imagine, is change the path for each of those assets in your HTML files.

Thanks,

Preran

• 9. Re: Renaming (downloaded) Dreamweaver Template
                          [r]Evolution Level 1

Coffee sounds good.

Once I move all assets & images to a single folder; is there a way Batch Link my assets?

- Pr will batch relink all media after you point it to one... provided they are in the same folder, as I'm trying to do.

I thought this was a simple question. Days later, I'm thinking apparently not.