11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 8:26 PM by hockey guy

What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?

hockey guy

I have downloaded the trial version of LR for Mac.

I have thousands of photos on iPhoto.

What is the best way to move those photos into LR.

Once I move them in, i would like to get rid of them in iPhoto to save space.

Where will they be stored?

• 1. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
          D.A.R Adobe Community Professional

iPhoto "hides" the images in an internal structure to, some would say, make things simpler.

In your Pictures folder you should find the iPhoto Library.

Right click on it or press the control key and click on it. From the menu select "Show Package Contents"

Then look for the "Masters" folder. This is where all your original files are. Drag that folder on to the Lightroom icon or Library module to begin the import process.

I recommend the Copy option so the files can be copied to a new location which iPhoto will be unaware of.

If you want to access the images that you may have modified in iPhoto look for the Previews folder and repeat the process.

The files will be stored wherever you state in the Import dialog (Right side)

Once you are satisfied that Lightroom is a better option (iPhoto will be going away) you can safely delete the iPhoto Library.

• 2. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
            hockey guy Level 1

For some reason when I right click on it there is not "Show Package Contents."

I am using version 9.51

• 3. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?

Sa am I.

To be certain, you are clicking on the Library and not the application icon?

Screenshot 2014-09-05 18.30.06.png

• 4. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
                hockey guy Level 1

I found it, sort of. I think somehow my iPhoto Library is not all in 1 location.

I have located the Masters for everything up till 2011.

I have been shooting in JPEG.

When I choose to copy should I choose "copy" or "copy as DNG"?

• 5. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
                  ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have to ask whether to copy as DNG, then the answer would be No.  In other words, until you understand why DNG might be useful or not-helpful, don’t use it.   DNG is primarily intended a modified container for raw files that allows storing settings inside the file as well as storing the camera profile data internally.  JPGs don’t hae camera profiles and they can already contain settings, so I’d stay away from DNG for JPGs, especially, even if you wanted to use DNG for raws, which I never do, either.

• 6. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?

While you can have more than 1 iPhoto Library its something one would know, as its done deliberately and requires holding the option key upon launch to select the appropriate Library. The Masters folder will contain yearly dated folders.

When you import do not convert to DNG if they are Jpg files. Choose Copy. This will duplicate the files away from the iPhoto Library. Be sure you are aware of where they are going.

• 7. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
                      hockey guy Level 1

Ok. I will use copy.

Then I will hunt for the other iPhoto Library.

I do not recall intentionally separating them.

Thanks

• 8. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?

When iPhoto is open, Press the Command key and click on the word "iPhoto" at the top center of the window. That will show you the location of the current open Library.

To determine if there are other Libraries on your system hold the Option key down when launching the program.

You will then see a dialog asking which Library you want to open or if you wish to create a new one (no point here)

If there are no others in the list then you only have one library.

Screenshot 2014-09-05 19.10.14.png

If you are certain there are files that cannot be located then you can view them in iPhoto, select one, and then File > Reveal in Finder > Original File (or Modified File)

This will open a Finder window and locate the file in question.

Using the same trick - Command Click on the top of the finder window to see the path of where the image is located. It should be in the location you have already found.

Screenshot 2014-09-05 19.14.32.png

• 9. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?
                          hockey guy Level 1

That helped.

I found the masters from 2011-2014!

Home> Pictures>apple iPhoto;

I was then able to “show package contents.”

I will copy those next.

One more question.

As I copy these, will I keep edits and event names from iPhoto?

Thanks.

• 10. Re: What is the best way to move photos from iPhoto?

Unfortunately no. There is no correlation between the two programs and the events.

iPhoto allows restoration to the original file by creating a duplicate when a change is made. As such the masters you import will not have any edits applied to them Essentially they will be as they were when they were introduced to iPhoto.