6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2014 5:23 PM by jc517b

Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?

jc517b

Hi all - on my old Win7 computer, I used Windows Live Movie Maker (and DVD Maker) to compile, edit, and produce home movies onto DVD.   Now I'm finding that Windows Live Movie Maker does not work in Windows 8.1.   I'm having trouble finding any other product that can use my existing .WLMP files at least as a starting point.

Can Premier Elements - or any other Adobe "video editing" product do this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jc517b

Why don't you use Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 8.1? It saves project files as .wlmp.

Have you tried that?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/get-movie-maker-download

ATR

• 2. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
            jc517b Level 1

Thanks ATR,

Unfortunately that's the version I have installed.   It crashes every time I try to open one of my project (.wlmp) files - just the generic "this program has stopped working" message box with "close program" button.   Also, per my review of other forums, the DVD maker add-on program no longer works with this version - and no replacement version is available.  So in theory if Movie Maker 2012 did work (ie, didn't crash every time) - I still wouldn't be able to export and burn my work to DVDs.

- John

• 3. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

John

Can you create new projects in the Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8.1 64 bit without problems? Is it just the old wlmp project files that are at issue here.

And, the bottom line does not appear to be the video editor, but rather a way to find a burn software for your burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Premiere Elements does not support project files from Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 or Movie Maker 2012.

What version of Premiere Elements do you have? Generate a video file from  the wlmp project file (from Windows 7 Windows Live Movie Maker or other) and then import that video file into Premiere Elements for the burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Have you sought help in a forum specializing in Movie Maker 2012 since this appears to be an issue not related to Premiere Elements. Am I mistaken in that?

ATR

I have Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and have no problems with it. I will try to use wlmp project file from Windows Live Movie Maker 11 on Windows 7 64 bit in Movie Maker 2012 on Windows 8.1 64 bit and let you know the outcome.

• 4. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
                jc517b Level 1

It's only crashing when I try to open one of my old .WLMP files. (IE, I can create a new project just fine.) 

If I could successfully open and export from these files that is what I would do.

I do not own Premiere Elements - yet.  I was posing the question to the forum so that I could make an informed decision.  I will look for a user forum for Movie Maker - but since Microsoft appears to have minimal interest in supporting the 2012 version - I doubt I will find much help there.

• 5. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jc517b

Thanks for the reply.

Now that I know that the issue is the old wlmp and not the new and Movie Maker 2012 and not Premiere Elements, I will see what I can do. I will create a wlmp project in Windows Live Movie Maker 2011 and try to open it in Movie Maker 2012. I am not sure if it will be much help trying to decide between

a. Movie Maker 2012 not supporting project files from an different version of it

versus

b. You having corrupted wlmp files

Nonetheless, we will see what we can figure out.

Premiere Elements also has its problems when a user of an earlier version of the program tries to open a project file from the older in the newer version.

Does not always work. There we typically suggest the same thing...finish off the older projects in that program in which they were created and start new with the new program.

Do you have Windows 7 64 bit with Windows Live Movie Maker and the Windows DVD Maker that you could revisit?

How many of these old wlmp project files do you have?

Again, Premiere Elements is not going to support those wlmp project files old or new.

ATR

• 6. Re: Does Premiere Elements or any other Adobe product open/import Windows Live Movie Maker files (.wlmp)?
                    jc517b Level 1

Alas, I do not have that old computer anymore.   But even on that Win7 computer - I'm sure that I had Movie Maker 2012 installed.   I typically keep up with updates and new releases - so if WE-2012 was released prior to Win8, then I'm certain that I had it then.

I probably have less than 10 .WLMP files - and I do have the save .WMV movies of each of those - but it's just that without the project files, I only have the finished WMVs to work with - and I'd have to essentially start from scratch if I wanted to make any changes.

*sigh*  That'll learn me to use any Microsoft video/photo editing software - they always abandon those products.