4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2016 1:37 PM by aafrempong

How to I get multipage pdf file placed in my document to conform to the document that I set up?  I have InDesign cc and the pdf pages are placed outside of my document?

yerbamansa

How to I get multipage pdf file placed in my document to conform to the document that I set up?  I have InDesign cc and the pdf pages are placed outside of my document?

• 2. Re: How to I get multipage pdf file placed in my document to conform to the document that I set up?  I have InDesign cc and the pdf pages are placed outside of my document?
          yerbamansa Level 1

Hi Rave,

InDesign cc couldn't open the script, I get an error message that it is not a supported file type.  I tried this first before using the "place multipage pdf" in my InDesign document.  The script which comes with InDesign cc works, but places the pages outside of the document.  That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do.  I had no trouble doing this in PageMaker 15 years ago.  I don't know why it doesn't work on my computer??

Thanks,

Yerbamansa

• 4. Re: How to I get multipage pdf file placed in my document to conform to the document that I set up?  I have InDesign cc and the pdf pages are placed outside of my document?
            aafrempong Level 1

Consider a 100 page document already open in Indesign, on a Mac. Assume that one wants to add a 4-page pdf to this 100-page document.

The new pdfs can be added at (a) before the document; (b) somewhere in the middle of the document and (c) after the document

Preliminaries: The total number of pages after the addition has been completed will be 104; one will use this number as a check when the placement process has been completed. Three cases of insertion pages are considered

For Case (a) : Insertion is before the document (at pages 1-4)

Step 1:  From Layout (on the tools bar)>>pages>>insert pages

Step 2: Enter the number of pages, 4,  “ For Insert ”  choose “before page”.

(that is, switch from “after page” to “before page”  and enter page “1” to the right .   

That is, insert 4 blank pages starting on page 1.

Step 3: From Windows (on tools bar) >>Utilities>>scripts>> then Applications>>  

Applescript and scroll down to PlaceMultipagePDF.Applescript and double –

click  on it, and search for the new 4 page document and choose it.

Step 4:  In the new “Place PDF” panel, enter 1 for the start page.

(The correct page is important)

Step 5: After the placements, the first page showing is a blank page (at page 5), and there may be 3 more following blank pages. Delete the blank pages

Step 6: Scroll down to the end of the document. The total number of pages should be 

104. If it is more than 104, there are undeleted pages after the placement. If the 

total number is less than 104, there are missing pages.

For Case (b) : Insertion is at say, pages 13-16 of the document

Step 2: Enter the number of pages, 4,  “ For Insert ”  choose “before page”.

(that is, switch from “after page” to “before page”  and enter page “13” to the right .   

That is, insert 4 blank pages starting on page 13.

Step 4 In the new “Place PDF” panel, enter 13 for the start page.

Step 5: After the placements, the first page showing is a blank page (at page 17), and there may be 3 more following blank pages. Delete the blank pages

Step 6: Scroll down to the end of the document. The total number of pages should be 

104. If it is more than 104, there are undeleted pages after the placement. If the 

For Case (c) : Insertion is after the document at pages 101-104 of the document

Step 2: Enter the number of pages, 4,  “ For Insert ” choose “before page”.

(that is, switch from “after page” to “before page”  and enter page “101” to the right .   

That is, insert 4 blank pages starting on page 101.

Step 4 In the new “Place PDF” panel, enter 101 for the start page.

Step 5: After the placements, the first page showing is a blank page (at page 105), and there may be 3 more following blank pages. Delete the blank pages

Cases (a) and (c) should have the same document properties, because of how they were inserted