7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 16, 2007 9:49 AM by balboas

Animating problems in Director

balboas Level 1
      Hi everyone
      I have a huge problem when animating sprites (both in Director and Flash). When I move a sprite in the score it cracks (like a spoon in a glass of water, every time in a different way and time). What am I doing wrong? Is it something wrong with my PC (Penitum 4, 1.270 RAM).I have tried at different pc and it happened the same. Please help me!!! I am desperate.In Director I draw a rectangle at the far left of the stage in frame 1. Then, I insert Keyframe at the score in frame 30 and move the rectangle at the far right of the stage. When I press play, the rectangle when it moves from left to right doesn’t stay solid, it cracks!!! Every time differently. Why is that??? The same happens with photos or any other shape.
      Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Animating problems in Director
          Level 7
          balboas wrote:
          > I have a huge problem when animating sprites (both in Director and
          > Flash). When I move a sprite in the score it cracks (like a spoon in
          > a glass of water, every time in a different way and time). What am I
          > doing wrong? Is it something wrong with my PC (Penitum 4, 1.270
          > RAM).I have tried at different pc and it happened the same. Please
          > help me!!! I am desperate.In Director I draw a rectangle at the far
          > left of the stage in frame 1. Then, I insert Keyframe at the score in
          > frame 30 and move the rectangle at the far right of the stage. When I
          > press play, the rectangle when it moves from left to right doesn?t
          > stay solid, it cracks!!! Every time differently. Why is that??? The
          > same happens with photos or any other shape.

I think you're describing what is normally known as "image tearing".

It might be that you have the movie's frame rate set too high, or perhaps
          you need to update the video drivers for your graphics card.

Andrew

• 2. Re: Animating problems in Director
            balboas Level 1
            I have updated my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE) with the latest video drivers and the movie’s frame rate set to 30 fps and the problem is still there!!! I even tried with 20 and 25 fps. How can I solve it, I am desperate!Please helppppppppp!!!
            • 3. Re: Animating problems in Director
              Level 7
              balboas wrote:
              > I have updated my graphic card (NVIDIA GeForce 6600LE) with the
              > latest video drivers and the movie?s frame rate set to 30 fps and the
              > problem is still there!!! I even tried with 20 and 25 fps. How can I
              > solve it, I am desperate!Please helppppppppp!!!

Is it only in Flash and Director that you get image tearing, and can you
              prevent it by using a smaller bitmap to move?

What are the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor set to? Do you have
              vertical sync on?

Does your computer play video smoothly?

I've seen image tearing attributed to a power supply being at its limit; is
              there any chance that's the case with your computer?

Andrew

• 4. Re: Animating problems in Director
                balboas Level 1
                It happens only in Flash and Director, when I animate any image or shape no matter if it is bitmap or vector shape.
                My monitor’s resolution is 1024x768, refresh rate 75Hertz (it doesn’t support higher). I can’t find the vertical sync though.
                My P.C. plays video perfectly. I don’t think that has to do with the power supply.
                Note, that when I played that files in different computers, the image tearing always shows.
                • 5. Re: Animating problems in Director
                  Level 7
                  balboas wrote:
                  > It happens only in Flash and Director, when I animate any image or
                  > shape no matter if it is bitmap or vector shape.
                  > My monitor?s resolution is 1024x768, refresh rate 75Hertz (it
                  > doesn?t support higher).

That's a bit low - but if it's an LCD it should most likely be set to 60Hz.

> I can?t find the vertical sync though.

Right-click Windows desktop. Choose Properties. Settings. Advanced. Click
                  the tab with the name of your video card. Choose Performance & Quality
                  Settings. Vertical sync should be listed in a box perhaps labelled "Global
                  driver settings". Write down what it's set to. Uncheck "Application
                  controlled" and move the slider to "On".

After testing Director/Flash, if it doesn't help then change it back to
                  whatever it was set to.

> My P.C. plays video perfectly. I don?t think that has to do with the
                  > power supply.
                  > Note, that when I played that files in different computers, the
                  > image tearing always shows.

Have you tried reinstalling Director and Flash?

OS/Director/Flash versions?

Andrew

• 6. Re: Animating problems in Director
                    balboas Level 1
                    It didn’t make any difference when I changed to 60Hz (my monitor is LCD and it is recognised as an analogue by the video card).
                    There is not such a thing as a vertical sync in my video card, I have checked everywhere.
                    I have tried reinstalling Director and Flash many times.
                    Thanks
                    • 7. Re: Animating problems in Director
                      balboas Level 1
                      Perhaps, is it something wrong with the connection between monitor and P.C. (it is VGA, should I use XGA or SVGA)? My monitor is recognised by the video card as an analogue monitor (I have an LCD monitor). Should it be recognised as a digital monitor? Please Helpppppppppp.