7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2007 3:20 AM by Newsgroup_User

Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW

interstella
      Hi everyone, I was researching whether the new CS3 FireWorks handles scale transforms -- as Indesign does, nondestructively.

The problem: when you place a bitmap in FW and scale it, pixel data is discarded or interpolated (up or down), and further scaling refinements increase the image degradation. (Photoshop behaves this way too). In contrast, Indesign scales only a preview or proxy of the image, and updates the bitmap display from the source file. Thus, no data is lost during design changes.

The goal is to be able to prototype and design a layout with maximum freedom. Thoughts?
        • 1. Re: Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
          interstella Level 1
          A phone rep guessed that the new version of FW did not change this functionality.
          • 2. Re: Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
            Level 7
            > The goal is to be able to prototype and design a layout with maximum
            > freedom. Thoughts?

That would be cool, but really isn't how most raster image editors work.

The typical technique is to just always keep a duplicate layer of the
            original object that you can get to later if you need to rescale it.

-Darrel

• 3. Re: Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
              Level 7
              Select the bitmap and turn it into a Graphic Symbol.
              Modify > Symbol > Convert to Symbol (F8)

alex

interstella wrote:
              > Hi everyone, I was researching whether the new CS3 FireWorks handles scale
              > transforms -- as Indesign does, nondestructively.
              >
              > The problem: when you place a bitmap in FW and scale it, pixel data is
              > discarded or interpolated (up or down), and further scaling refinements
              > increase the image degradation. (Photoshop behaves this way too). In contrast,
              > Indesign scales only a preview or proxy of the image, and updates the bitmap
              > display from the source file. Thus, no data is lost during design changes.
              >
              > The goal is to be able to prototype and design a layout with maximum
              > freedom. Thoughts?
              >
              • 4. Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
                interstella Level 1
                Darrel, that's true... sometimes I even have 3 or 4 versions of the "source" bitmap at different sizes, stored on layers... drawback: the png file size bloats, and this can be clumsy because FW doesn't seem to have as robust memory management as Photoshop.
                • 5. Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
                  interstella Level 1
                  Alex, excellent suggestion - I hadn't thought of that. I just experimented with this... nice! At first, I noticed the lack of the ability to crop the symbol (edit -->crop selected bitmap) directly in order to have multiple occurences with different croppings... but then the workaround is just to create a mask for each instance.

I consider my problem solved...

quote:

Select the bitmap and turn it into a Graphic Symbol.
                  • 6. Re: Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
                    Level 7
                    interstella wrote:
                    > I think the original (way back, late 90s) program "X-Res" was the foundational
                    > app that FW was built on. and if I recall correctly, it did have proxy scaling.

To my recollection, X-Res was a bitmap based application but Fireworks
                    is primarily a vector app and I believe it was created from scratch.
                    Many of its tools were inspired by FreeHand and Illustrator.

--
                    Stéphane Bergeron
                    reach : connect : communicate
                    http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                    blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                    http://www.pixelyzed.com
                    • 7. Re: Nondestructive bitmap scaling in FW
                      Level 7
                      On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:47:05 +0400, Stéphane Bergeron
                      <news@webfocusdesign.com> wrote:

> interstella wrote:
                      >> I think the original (way back, late 90s) program "X-Res" was the
                      >> foundational app that FW was built on. and if I recall correctly, it
                      >> did have proxy scaling.
                      >
                      > To my recollection, X-Res was a bitmap based application but Fireworks
                      > is primarily a vector app and I believe it was created from scratch.
                      > Many of its tools were inspired by FreeHand and Illustrator.
                      >

Well, I spent some time with X-Res and I cannot remember any similarity
                      between it and Fireworks. X-Res was all about bitmaps and x-res mode, and
                      had CMYK support. FW does not have x-res mode and CMYK support, but it's
                      vector capabilities and live effects are far superiout to what we had in
                      X-Res. So I also beleive that it was created from scratch, or maybe
                      partially using some elements of Freehand design.

--
                      Ilya Razmanov
                      http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters