5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 1:46 PM by wolfelix

Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE

wolfelix

Hi, I use LR5 on OSX and my catalog got corrupted when the hard drive filled up. As it turns out, backups stopped in April for some reason.

Techniques I've tried so far include:

1) look for back-ups

2) copy to a new location and use that file

3) import into a new file

4) have Lightroom repair it

5) restart the system....

I have been through the forums and it seems the only thing that seems to have a hope of succeeding is a SQLITE software to extract the data from the .lrcat file and to produce a new one with it. Unfortunately the little software is not very user friendly and I get about as far as "syntax error".

Does any one here have any experience with these things? Please let me know if you have any further ideas.

Regards,

Wolfgang

• 1. Re: Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE
          areohbee Level 5

Start by downloading a user friendly gui version of sqlite (client app) like SQLiteSpy (don't remember the equivalent for Mac, but you can find if you look).

If you can open the file, it means overall structure is OK. It does not mean individual tables are OK.

If you know that the problem is confined to one or more tables, then you have a chance to recover, although doing so voids the warranty.. - have you begged Adobe for help?

If you can not open the file using gui app, the command line utility probably won't be able to do anything with it either, although I don't know that for sure..

Note: you can open an old backup catalog and import new photos into it if they have xmp, and maybe not lose too much - do you have xmp saved?

Rob

• 2. Re: Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE
            wolfelix Level 1

Hi Rob,

thank you very much for your answers.

I will look for the gui version.

Unfortunately I have not saved the XMP data to the files - I had no idea...

I'll be back with results - I hope!

• 3. Re: Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE
              wolfelix Level 1

Rob,

That worked a charm for the first half of the operation! I now am the proud owner of a .sql file. The trouble I have is that the little program GUI Database Browser for SQLite does not want to open the file it just created to convert it back into a .lrcat file. Is that because it's a text file now and not a data base? I may need more of your help here.

Thank you for getting me so far!

Wolfgang

• 4. Re: Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE
                areohbee Level 5

Hi Wolfgang, you're welcome.

I'm not sure what your .sql file has in it, but in general, you need to execute that sql to create a database, assuming it has create_table commands etc.

I'm not a super-expert in databases, but maybe if you describe how you obtained the .sql file and/or post some or all of it, things would be clearer.

Rob

• 5. Re: Corrupted LR5 Catalog - help with SQLITE
                  wolfelix Level 1

Hi Rob,

Thank you for getting me this far. It's taken for ever, but I am now the proud owner of a new .lrcat catalog.

However, Lightroom does not recognise it as valid and does not open it.

I am lost again and need some more ideas here. I hope its some minor formality or so.

Wolfgang