6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2014 9:42 AM by station_two

Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.

Tracey Canon User

CS4 has stopped in Windows - I have had CS4 since 2009 ish so don't know why this has suddenly happened.

I tried using the CC cleaner but it won't go to the last point where it will remove the program.

Is there another way to uninstall then re-install it and in doing so will my Nik Google plug ins work from Lightroom?

• 1. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
          Level 5

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand, such as your platform (Mac or Win), exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop and of Bridge, machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, video card specs, what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far, what error message(s) you receive, if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them, etc., someone may be able to help you.

A screen shot could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
            Level 5

Tracey Canon User wrote:

CS4 has stopped in Windows……

I tried using the CC cleaner but it won't go to the last point where it will remove the program.

Is there another way to uninstall then re-install it and in doing so will my Nik Google plug ins work from Lightroom?

Why would you use the CC Cleaner on CS6?  Couldn't you find the CS Cleaner Tool?

I have no clue as to Lightroom.  Don't use it myself since trying it and hating it.  It's a different engineering team and it has a separate forum, of course.

The "suite" concept is a fabrication of Adobe marketing and bean-counting types, and Lr is not part of any suite that I know anyway.  The engineering teams are totally independent of each other, they are not only in different buildings but in different cities and states of the American Union, even in different countries.

The fact that they have little if any communication among them is highlighted by requests occasionally made in these forums by top Adobe engineers to let the other teams know when there are problems in one application that impact our workflow in another one.

• 3. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
              Tracey Canon User Level 1

Hi Station Two,

Thanks for your reply and information. I have since been able to get CS4 running again via a Windows fix but I still can't load my Nik plug-ins properly via Photoshop (though they work in Lightroom). I will try Nik Google and Lightroom if this persists to see what to do.

I did annoy some of you when I thought I wasn't getting a reply but I genuinely thought I was getting advice from Adobe staff and not volunteers - I have saved the page telling me how to get replies etc for future reference. So thank you all for giving up your time and I do appreciate it and sorry for being irritated.

Kind Regards,

Tracey Hodgson.

• 4. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
                Level 5

See if NIK has updated plug-ins for you.  They have been having an inordinate amount of trouble with their plug-ins and have been putting updates out there.

• 5. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
                  Tracey Canon User Level 1

Hi again,

I followed your advice and contacted Nik Google. They sent me an update to download which I did and immediately I tried to open a photo in CS4 from Lightroom, CS4 crashed and I found myself back in the same situation as last week. I tried uninstalling CS4 and again the program just sat there in my control panel after attempting to uninstall and nothing happened If I tried again to uninstall a message came up saying 'please wait until the current program is finished uninstalling or being changed'. I used the Windows fix again which said all was working and lead me to believe CS4 was uninstalled so I've tried 4 times to reinstall it. The last two attempts when it got to the last part of installing an error message came up as follows: Error 1605 - only valid for products that are currently installed and that ' one or more required components of CS4 failed to install correctly'.

I know you said you know nothing of Lightroom but somehow I was able to access the option ' edit in photoshop' where previously it said 'edit in photoshop.exe' but since the Google update it's returned to only the 'edit in photoshop.exe'  (the other option is greyed out and no longer accessible - I don't know why this has happened.

Prior to installing the Google update (before I managed to retrieve the 'edit in photoshop' option) and trying to use the 'edit in photoshop exe' option I also received an error message: 'photoshop.exe - System error - program can't start because of aif_core.dll is missing from your computer. Try re-installing the program to fix the problem'. I don't know if that means reinstalling CS4 or Lightroom 5 and if I was to do that would would be the consequences of that? Nik Google won't take it any further - they just passed me back to you. I really don't know what I should do now. Thanks and Kind Regards,

Tracey Hodgson.

• 6. Re: Windows causes CS4 to stop, can't find solution.
                    Level 5

Nik Google won't take it any further - they just passed me back to you. I really don't know what I should do now.

I have absolutely no clue as to what "Nik Google" is, but if whoever that is sent you updated plug-ins, you should try them on a properly maintained machine.  [I just googled "NIK Google" and discovered that it's proper name name is "Google NIK" Collection; it seems that NIK may have bought out Nik Software.]

From what you describe and from the error message you get, it seems to me personally that your system is pretty messed up in general.

Since you said that "they sent you back to [me/us]", an important clarification is in order:

You are not addressing Adobe here in this user forum.  We are all users just like you.  We have no connection with Adobe, we just try to help each other in this forum space provided for free by Adobe.

You are requesting help from volunteer users who give their time free of charge.  No one here really has any obligation to answer any questions.  We just contribute to a thread when it looks to us we may have something to share, no matter how insignificant.

In my case, the only knowledge I have (or had) pertinent to your thread is that NIK Software had been having a lot of issues with their plug-ins.  Now that I found out that they sold their company to Google, I will refrain from responding to threads about NIK plug-ins in the future.

Did you at least learn from them whether the plug-ins you have are actually compatible with your versions of Adobe software and of Windows?

I am in no condition to help you troubleshoot your Windows machine, because I am not a habitual Windows man.  I have been using Macs for just about 30 years.  Sorry.

Since your issue seems to be pretty Lightroom-centric, I'd suggest you re-post at the Lr forum, that way you'll double your chances of someone else chiming in.

Photoshop Lightroom  <=== Link to Lr forum

Good luck