4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2014 3:47 AM by TᴀW

back of book layout

intcon Level 1

Just wondering...my book ends on an odd page, like right at the bottom. Do I leave a blank page after that just so it doesn't seem so abrupt? I know I'll have the blank page on the reverse of my final page (rolling eyes, does that make sense?)

end of book on page 255

page 256 would be blank

do I put in one more blank sheet with pages 257 and 258?

And the book has to end on an even page correct?

sorry, i hope someone out there understands my blatherings....=)

carrie

• 1. Re: back of book layout
          TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Usually for offset printing the total page count needs to be a multiple

of 16. So 256 pages is excellent. 258 is not.

Note that I'm talking about the total number of physical pages, not

whatever happens to be the number on the last page, of course, since if

the preliminary pages have been numbered with roman numerals, which is

common, the last number to appear in the book is not necessarily the

actual number of pages (sorry if I'm stating the obvious).

So although a blank couple of pages at the end is nice, if this means

breaking a multiple-of-16-boundary, you can't do that.

But check with the printer. Perhaps this is being printed digitally.

• 2. Re: back of book layout
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

[Ariel] wrote:

Usually for offset printing the total page count needs to be a multiple

of 16.

That depends on the size of the press and the size of the page, but you definitely want to accommodate the signature size in your final page count. You might find you actually need to lose a page or two somehow.

• 3. Re: back of book layout
              intcon Level 1

it's through createspace...that's the physical number of pages...at the moment i have page one is REALLy page one....i guess I shouldn't do that?

• 4. Re: back of book layout
                TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, only just noticed your new question.

Traditionally, prelims are numbered with roman numerals, as you know. But the publisher I work for insists that all pages are numbered with arabic numerals right from the very first physical page.

There's no right and wrong here -- the advantage of roman numerals is that if something needs to be added to the front matter, it won't affect the numbering of the rest of the book (which could be a real problem if an index has already been made, or if there are many cross-references, etc.)