9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2014 11:22 PM by Ken Nielsen

What format to use in leu of Photoshop?

Ken Nielsen Level 1

As a way to 'work around' the potential loss of Photoshop files if I ever need to cancel my Creative Cloud Membership I'm thinking that TIFF is able to keep layers but what about type layers, adjustment layers and other photoshop features? Just to set the groundwork for this question: Lets talk about Creative Cloud. Some of us have it some of us defer to CS6 or whatever is doing the job for us. My main concern is that with CC, you are 'stuck' to continue with the upgrades. If you decide to back out or let it die, so will all of your files and apps for CC die with it as your older versions of CS6 and older will not open the newer version files and Adobe 'LOCKS' the CC apps you have up to that point.

So there is the dilemma, just in case it would ever happen, what is the best 'savable' file format that would preserve most or all of Photoshop's features but would still open with older CS6 or older Photoshop?

• 1. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
          gener7 Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can, but here is a great discussion of the limitations and alternatives.

John Nack on Adobe : Can you open a Photoshop CC file in CS6?

The Photography program is not a bad thing. $10 a month. As a pro I bet you spend more on other expenses.

In my case, coffee.

Gene

• 2. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
            Ken Nielsen Level 1

Thank You for the correct reply. I am invested in the full suite of Adobe CC products so I'm 'in deep' if I ever needed to cancel. I will continue my subscription, but this is a question that simply needs to be addressed for the insight alone. I always get the "cannot open as this file was created in a newer version" so need some type of backup of which I think I just need to save a 'backward compatible' version of my files. I was wondering if TIFF were the closest non-propietary filetype that might be a good backup just in case as it saves layers.

• 3. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?

Here's a look at the tiff vs psd debate and it links to yet another discussion.

.PSD or .TIFF? - Photo.net Digital Darkroom Forum

This is from the perspective of photographers using the Creative Cloud and who wonder how to best prepare if they go off it. I'm by no means an expert on these formats, and I choose psd when using Photoshop. To me it's the native format and I'm less likely to run into surprises.

This forum is Photoshop, so I'm guessing if you use Dreamweaver or InDesign, there's another story when talking about "rainy-day" formats.

Good luck, Ken. I hope you get it all sorted out.

Gene

• 4. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
                Ken Nielsen Level 1

gener7 wrote:

Here's a look at the tiff vs psd debate and it links to yet another discussion.

gener7, this is really valuable information also. I'll sort this out. I have no intention of leaving Creative Cloud, but I am a senior in life and, you know, you only carry on like a youngster for so long. I not longer use Adobe products for business, but since I've been using them since they first came out (1983?) I like having them around and seeing what 'improvements' are being made, kind of a hobby for me now. That being said, I really don't want to wind up at some point having to give up my Creative Cloud membership and then lose all of my images in the process. I would always like to be able to fall back on CS6, which I own and they can't take that away from me (or can they?) I think Tiff images would work then, and PS CC would not because it is too advanced for older Photoshop to open.

• 5. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?

I'm not far behind, Ken..

I started with Photoshop 5 in 1998. I basically use Photoshop, Acrobat, and Bridge. I was on the $20 monthly Full CC intro offer, but not want to be paying $50/mo, I got a permanent license for Acrobat Pro XI and went for the Photography program, since web design, video, and desktop publishing are not my thing. In in the home-hobbyist phase, and just use my experience in the forums to help out.

So there you could find some viable alternatives if the full cloud is not for you.

Gene

• 6. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
                    Warunicorn Adobe Community Professional

There are "competitors," as we'll call them, that can open PSDs but you know what they say: Often imitated but never duplicated. There's a reason why. I can think of one program that acts like Photoshop...but, ultimately, isn't Photoshop. I tried it as an alternative (after using Photoshop Elements for so long) but ended up running and screaming to full-on Photoshop.  xD

Like you, I'm just an enthusiast but it's a hobby that I enjoy, much like those that pay a subscription to to play an MMORPG. (And it's cheaper.)

• 7. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
                      Ken Nielsen Level 1

All right, I'm in good company here. I like and use the full suite, building websites, publishing books and producing printed materials in both InDesign and Illustrator. There is just nothing of the main Adobe Apps that I can live without, so full bore is the way for me. I'm just realizing that it takes some precautions, just in case, if ever, I need to open that on-going InDesign project in CS6, well, I had just be ready by saving backwards, I haven't even checked but I'm sure you can, save as for the CS6 version just so I won't ever be stuck up the creek without a paddle. As far as Premiere Pro and I'm sure Audition, I'll just be sure to save all of my working files in an orderly fashion in case I ever have to re-construct the world I live in. These things can be done if they are realized and then steps taken on a regular basis over time to keep the older version files alive.

Whew, I'm just happy to be keeping up with latest versions in CC. As we all know, there are 'gates' ahead as you get older: There will be a time when you can no longer drive a car, a time when cutting back on certain activities will have to happen, maybe not ruled out altogether, but cutting back for wisdom's sake (No more zip-line trips wearing flip-flops over the grand canyon.) Anyway, In that frame of view, I'm considering what is the best, wisest way to operate Adobe CC products  NOW, so I'll be covered for the future.

Thanks for all the great input here. More More....

• 8. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
                        Herbert2001 Level 4

PSD files can work for archival purposes as well, but one needs to be careful which features are compatible with other products.

For example, Photoline supports the most common colour adjustment layers, and imports those without issues. Even text layers are partly preserved (converted to a hidden text layer, and a bitmap version). Layer effects are for the most part also compatible. Layer masks also work without a hitch. But obviously not everything is supported, and newer CC functions will also be problematic. All in all, however, PSD offers more support for Photoshop's "special" functionality to be preserved than TIFF.

Since Photoline is still compatible with Windows 2000 and OsX 10.6, and has a very small installation footprint (can even be installed on a usb stick), it might be a good fall back solution for those users who wish to be able to open their PSD files with the most important base functionality still intact.

With TIFF one must tread carefully, because "layered" TIFF files are a Photoshop construct, and not all software supports those properly. Only non-layered TIFF files are completely compatible in my experience.

• 9. Re: What format to use in leu of Photoshop?
                          Ken Nielsen Level 1

Herbert2001 wrote:

PSD files can work for archival purposes as well, but one needs to be careful which features are compatible with other products...

This is very interesting insight. I'm beginning to formulate a plan of sorts and it is:

1. Continue on working with CC products and don't worry.

2. Make PSD files of important photos

3. Make JPEGs also of important photos.

I will have fun continuing on with what I'm doing, making backups of everything all the time of course, and if the day comes where I cannot continue with CC then I will deal with it at that time. For now, I think it is simply "Keep moving ahead..."

Thanks to each of you for all the great input that helps me to be more certain about this...

Ken