5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 2:52 PM by nodeless

Book document questions

nodeless

1. When my book is in the process of loading at the beginning of a work session, I get messages saying it cannot find Chapters 8 and 9, gives me several options, none of which are to recover them now.  So I take the one for recovering later, and the book proceeds to load with ball the current chapters.  I am at a loss to understand why I keep getting these messages every time I boot up, as all the chapters are there in the same folder and both 8 and 9 open when I click on them in the book panel.  But I still get the message for each chapter each time.

2. Why do I sometimes get a pink background on a block of text when I apply a different style to it?

• 1. Re: Book document questions
          gert verrept Level 2

1. Did you have a crash when chap 8 or 9 were open? Maybe the recovery file is still somewhere.

2. Pink background, do you have all the fonts? Glyphs ok?

• 2. Re: Book document questions
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would suggest exporting chapters 8 & 9 to .idml, then open those and save as .indd with new names and replace the current chapters in the Book.

• 3. Re: Book document questions
              nodeless Level 1

Thank you both for your responses to my questions.  Question #2 has been resolved.  I was applying a font, Chaucer which has no italic style, but the program was reading it as italic rather than regular.

Question #1 is still alive.  The two chapters in question are both .indd files which are fully integrated in the book panel.  However,  each of them also appear in my documents file as Lock Files.  I do not know what that means, as I do not know what a .idml file is, or how to export a file in that format.  I can copy those file extensions, but am unable to paste in this window.  Perhaps I should just try to delete those Lock Files?

• 4. Re: Book document questions
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Any open file should also have a sister lock file in the same folder. Lock files should be deleted automatically when the regular file is closed. If that failed (typically due to a crash) you won't be able to open the real file until you manually delete the old lock file. Close inDesign and wait a few minutes, then check for lock files and delete any you find.

To export .idml open the file (outside the book panel), then File > Export... and choose IDML from the list.

• 5. Re: Book document questions
                  nodeless Level 1

OK, it seems the Lock Files are only open when the document is open in the Book Panel.  So I still get the "chapter cannot be found" message, even though it does open, but the error message persists.