24 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 1:58 PM by Levalt

Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format

Levalt Level 1

I do not not have source clips and PREL the project is based on. I only have a DVD in AVCHD format.

I have Windows 8.1. I tried to burn a disk using instruction on how to burn a disk with no additional software. When I made a copy I was not able to play it.

Can you recommend a burner software that will create an exact copy of DVD in AVCHD format and also make a copy of a Blu-Ray (BD) disks?

Thanks. Lev.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think Imgburn will do what you want... Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons... Set Imgburn to use the slowest burn speed your drive and media will use... I set my burn speed to 1x and let Imgburn adjust to the actual minimum

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Open the DVD disc and explore it. Your AVCHD on DVD disc should have a BDMV Folder.

Take that BDMV Folder to DVD disc using the free ImgBurn software.

Burn AVCHD with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Some reports indicate problems with ImgBurn and Windows 8.1. Let us give this a try anyway.

Please let us know if that worked for you and if I have understood correctly what you sought.

You can create a AVCHD on DVD disc with a regular DVD burner, but...

AVCHD on DVD cannot be played back on a regular DVD player. What player are you using for the AVCHD on DVD?

Are you saying that you have a player for the original AVCHD on DVD disc but not these copies of it that you have been trying to make?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

Recommended follow the ImgBurn instructions.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                Levalt Level 1

I will definitely try ImgBurn to make a copy of AVCHD disk.

I have a blu-ray player and also blu-ray read/dvd-cd read/write drive in my desktop.

Have no problem in playing AVDHD disks created through PE 11 on both.

You mentioned ImgBurn,

What about Nero?

There are Nero 14 (Burning ROM and Express are a parts of the package) and  separate Nero Burning ROM 14 on the market. Will they do the job?

Eventually, I believe PE will have an option to burn projects on BD disks. Can ImgBurn make copies of BD disks?

I believe Nero can...

Thanks. Lev.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Thanks for the reply.

VIDEO_TS Folder as well as the BDMV Folder (from AVCHD DVD or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc) can be processed by ImgBurn to put these format structures on the disc in the correct disc file system. As I understand the process, in this workflow ImgBurn is not creating the video files for these formats, rather it is copying the format to disc and applying the correct disc file system.

A long time ago I was using both Nero and ImgBurn for disc image to these formats. In that older version of Nero (vintage 6.6), I was using the Nero Copy options. Not sure of what is being offered and what will work for us in this regard for latest version of Nero.

Please update us on your progress when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                    Levalt Level 1

John,

See my response to ATR above.

I would like to know your opinion on Nero too.

Can it do what ImgBurn can do and even more?

Thanks. Lev.

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I use Imgburn for all disc writing... I have no knowledge of or opinion about Nero

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Levalt

If you are talking about the "exact copy of a disc" feature of many burn softwares, ImgBurn can do that but it is a timing consuming two step process not the one step type as found in other burn software.

How to copy a disc using ImgBurn - Guides - ImgBurn Support Forum

ImgBurn offering "exact copy" involves creating a disc image and then making disc copies using the disc image.

Please review and then let me know if that is something in which you want to get involved.

Today I will do some investigation of what Nero is offering in the way of AVCHD on DVD and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray support as it relates to the questions that you are asking.

Please let me know if you have any further details on this that you want to contribute to the troubleshooting.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                          Levalt Level 1

Thank you.

There is a free download of Nero products (Nero 2014, Nero Platinum 2014 and Nero Burning ROM 2014) - trial for 15 days at Official Nero Downloads | Free Software Trials and Updates

Official Nero Downloads | Free Software Trials and Updat...

Download free software trials or find free updates for your Nero software from Nero 12 over Nero 11 to Nero Burning ROM, Nero BackItUp or past products 

View on www.nero.com Preview by Yahoo 

I believe that using Nero software to create an exact copy of a disk is a one step process.

Please try it and let me know what you think.

Lev.

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Progress report.

I have downloaded and installed the 15 day free tryout of Nero Burning ROM 2014. I was a bit worried that I was going to end up with a tryout in German. Not to worry if you can read and write German. I don't. The Installation Wizard gave no ground and persisted in German. But, in the end, the tryout that opened had its workspace in English.

I was not sure what to expect since I was greeted by "AVCHD authoring and playback and MPEG-4 and BDAV formats are not supported in trial version".

The only thing that seems 99.9999% assured is that one can copy the DVD disc which has the AVCHD format on it.

I think that information deeper than that is going to have to come from Nero Customer Service or from purchasing the product.

I have yet to find the "Backup" section of the Burning ROM that I used in Nero 6.6 and 9. But, that is going in another direction, not copy the whole disc (AVCHD DVD) which I believe is your target.

This brief look at this program was on Windows 7 64 bit which did not have a Blu-ray burner, just DVD burner.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                              Levalt Level 1

ATR,

Thank you very much!

I am very surprised that the download process at

http://www.nero.com/enu/downloads/

is in German, not English and the trial version is not a full version of the application.

At this point I think I just download ImgBurn based on the instruction you gave me.

If you find that overall Nero is better than ImgBurn, please let me know.

I do appreciate your comprehensive responses to my questions very much!!!!!

Lev.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Thanks for the reply.

ImgBurn is a curious program but effective in spite of the two step exact copy.

As with all downloads these days, just be cautious to avoid possibilities of unwanted carry alongs with the program

being downloaded.

I have found it curious in

a. I think it is toward the end, around verification, the burner tray opens and closes automatically before you get a Complete message.

b. If you have your computer speakers on, when you get the Complete message, it is accompanied by what I call an "off to the horse races"

sound.

If I can find any further ways that Nero can supplement Premiere Elements, I will post.

Please update us on your program when you get a chance.

Best wishes

ATR

Add On...Breaking News - You should be able to take a Premiere Elements BDMV folder to DVD disc with the tryout of Nero Burning ROM 2014.

Please see How to burn AVCHD with Nero Burning ROM - AfterDawn: Guides

I just did a run through, and its seems to work for putting a Premiere Elements BDMV on DVD disc. And, the end result did play back on my computer's CyberLink software that does support playback of AVCHD on DVD.

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                  Levalt Level 1

ATR,

Thank you for the update on Nero Burning ROM 2014.

Now, having experience with both ImgBurn and Nero Burning ROM, which one would you prefer?

Nero Burning ROM 2014 is not expensive and the full version can be downloaded for $40.

See the link:

Nero Burning ROM 2014 AMER-11340000/645 B&H Photo Video | B&H Photo Video

Thanks. Lev.

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

That is a tough question.

ImgBurn and its nice features and the associated "free" are very appealing.

Nero Burning ROM 2014 has many nice features, but it is not free, but the price is relatively inexpensive. In my particular situation,  if I were to think about

a non free Nero program in this regard, I would probably seek one of its products that included computer playback for

AVCHD format on DVD and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc besides the burn tos. I guess VLC Player is a possible free alternative for that type of playback, but that is another story for another time.

At the moment, my AVCHD format on DVD and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc playback at the computer level are being met by the software that

came free with my Blu-ray burner. Also, when considering one of these programs, one needs to factor in whether the program can generate DVD-VIDEO and AVCHD/Blu-ray formats as well as work with existing DVD-VIDEO (VIDEO_TS Folder) and AVCHD/Blu-ray (BDMV Folder) to take them to disc.

Bottom line: Think about your immediate and projected project needs so that you are not in need of a upgrade in feature set for the purchase. And then decide what will work for you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                      Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try the free one, and if you don't like it, then buy Nero if you think you'd be happy with it.

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Have you downloaded Nero yet?

The last version that I have is Nero 9. That version and others earlier than it required (more often than not) the use of the Nero Clean Tool to remove the program completely from the computer when troubleshooting. Not sure if later versions need a Nero Clean Tool or whether the a non Nero product such as ccleaner would be an adequate substitute.

I will be uninstalling the Nero Burning ROM 2014 soon. I will let you know how clean the uninstall was.

ATR

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                          Levalt Level 1

Hi ATR,

No, I haven't installed Nero Burning ROM 2014. Based on your feedback, I think it makes more sense to install ImgBurn.

Busy with other stuff right now, but will do it later today.

Please let me know how clean Nero uninstall was.

Thanks. Lev.

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Just be careful for the choices in download and install of ImgBurn so that you are not caught by any unwanted carry alongs with ImgBurn.

ATR

• 19. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                              Levalt Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have installed ImgBurn on my desktop computer.

According to Wikipedia and forums, the latest version of ImgBurn is version 2.5.8.0 with OpenCandy adware.

Here is what I did to avoid automatic installation of OpenCandy:

1. Saved setupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe file to my desktop.

2. Disconnected my computer from the Internet.

3. Ran setupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe from the icon that was created in step 1.

Since the downloading process was done in the standalone mode, OpenCandy installer was automatically disabled and OpenCandy was not installed on my computer.

ImgBurn automatically created the ImgBurn icon on my desktop.

Then I created Image File from my AVCHD disk setting read speed to 1x and when it was done changed mode to 'Write' and burned the image file to a blank DVD disk.

I played the original disk and the copy on my computer and Blu-Ray player connected to TV and did not notice any difference.

I got the exact copy of my original AVCHD disk!!!!

Thanks. Lev.

• 20. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                                Levalt Level 1

OK. Not so fast...

Just to be on the safe side and make sure no adware or other **** was installed during ImgBurn installation I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan.

It detected 2 OpenCandy files that managed to squeeze in despite the fact that I ran EXE file off line.

No more advere/worms/viruses were detected. Malwarebytes removed OpenCandy files. I rebooted computer and ran Malwarebytes one more time and no malicious stuff was detected.

During the installation ImgBurn did not give me any option to select/deselect OpenCandy or anything else. So, I assume that while downloading ImgBurn version 2.5.8.0 you'll get OpenCandy no matter how careful you are during the installation.

The good news: Malwarebytes detects and removes it.

Lev.

• 21. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

Wonderful news. Great job.

There are so many options out there. Glad this one worked for you.

I have not had a chance to get back to Nero Burning ROM 2014. I will report back on

the cleanup.

But, we are very impressed with your good news. Best wishes as you move forward in your Premiere Elements

projects.

ATR

• 22. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                                    Levalt Level 1

See my second response above. OpenCandy managed to squeeze in, but was killed. :-)

• 23. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Lev

I did not see your latest post numbered 20 until after I posted just a moment ago (post numbered 21)

Those carry alongs can be a major nuisance. Double check Control Panel/Programs to assure that there are no

unexpected entries, including Open Candy. Make sure that all your computer browsers are OK and not overtaken by new and aggressive search engines.

I have not updated ImgBurn for a long time now. I just keep using the older version of it, and it does the job. Same for MediaInfo (properties readout program).

These are two valuable free programs whose benefits have to be weighed against having to deal with unwanted nuisances associated with

download.

ATR

• 24. Re: Premiere Elements 11. Copy of DVD in AVCHD format
                                                        Levalt Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for the advice. Just checked installed programs in Control Panel. No redundancy. Looks good. :-)

I still think that running setupImgBurn_2.5.8.0.exe off line is the right thing to do. I could have pulled more and potentially hard to remove junk from the Internet during the installation.

Please let me know if you had problems in removing Nero Burning ROM 2014.

Thanks. Lev.