1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2014 11:36 PM by ssprengel

Exported photo appearing sharper than photo inside Lightroom

BrockLock

Hi all,

I am currently new to the forum and am seeking help for a particular issue. What seems to be the problem is that my Lightroom 5 is exporting images and they appear to be sharper than the image inside of Lightroom. I am bouncing between Lightroom and Photoshop, but I am not sure if that will make a difference since the image I am seeing in Lightroom after editing is the image I want, but when I export it there seems to be an increased sharpness to the image.

If you notice in the image below, the model's hair seems to be more sharpened/lightened where it doesn't retain the softness or depth it once had inside of Lightroom, any ideas on how to correct this?

Screen Shot 2014-09-06 at 11.20.13 PM.png

• 1. Re: Exported photo appearing sharper than photo inside Lightroom
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You need to be judging sharpness at 1:1 or 100% zoom level in both LR and whatever JPG-viewer app you’re using.  Otherwise the results are misleading due to whatever resampling algorithm LR or the viewer is using for speed.

Also, if you use Export sharpening on full-res images then you’re likely sharpening noise which will look overly sharp when resampled by simplistic viewers.

The normal way to use sharpening is to do the Detail sharpening and noise-reduction at 1:1 in LR Develop with a little residual noise for any further sharpening to bite on, then resize your Exports down to whatever makes sense for their eventual use outside of LR (for example desktop-wallpaper would be resized to screen dimensions like 1680x1050, or 4x6 @ 300 ppi would be 1200x1800, or 8x10 @ 300 = 2400x3000) and sharpen them using Export sharpening at that reduced output-centric size along with the type of sharpening that matches the output media.  If you are not resizing during Export then perhaps Export sharpening shouldn’t be used, but whatever process is using the photos may want to sharpen them, then.