3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2014 7:46 AM by BJBBJB1

Lightroom update via CC or patch download?

BJBBJB1 Level 1

Greetings.  I posted this last week but I do not see it. 

I am a long-time LR use and have been with CC for the past year+.  I was going to install the latest patch and noticed that the CC manager does not seem to know that I have LR installed. So it does not present a "patch" or update, it just wants to "install" LR5.

This might have something to do with the fact that I previously owned LR and have upgraded from many versions.

I am fairly certain that prior versions of the CC console did recognize LR but I cannot be 100% certain of that.

Anyway, is the suggestion to just download the patch as if I owned LR standalone or let the CC console "install" LR5?

Thanks,

BJBBJB1

• 1. Re: Lightroom update via CC or patch download?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are no Lightroom "patches". Each incremental update is a completely new Lightroom program. The installation of these updates replaces previous versions on Windows computers. On Mac computers it is necessary to remove previous updates. On your system, when you talk of patches to your Lightroom, are you referring to an older version of Lightroom? If that is the case then that is why the CC manager is wanting to install Lightroom 5. So if you could provide a little more information and details about what you are using, we can probably provide better suggestions.

• 2. Re: Lightroom update via CC or patch download?
            Dave Merchant MVP & Adobe Community Professional

BJBBJB1 wrote:

I was going to install the latest patch and noticed that the CC manager does not seem to know that I have LR installed. So it does not present a "patch" or update, it just wants to "install" LR5.

That's normal behavior - because of the strange way LR and CC talk to one another the new version isn't shown as 'update available' but as a whole new app. When you click the install button it will do an in-place upgrade, replacing your previous LR5.x software and keeping all your settings. You can get the offline LR5.6 installer from https://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates.html and run that, they do exactly the same thing.

If you have LR on more than one computer then using the offline installer is a much more sensible option, as it saves downloading 900MB per machine. Apologies that the CSS for the download page is borked. Links work though!

• 3. Re: Lightroom update via CC or patch download?
              BJBBJB1 Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply!  Makes sense now.

BJBBJB1